Water damage!
9588 19 2015-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
turenne.alex

Canada

Hi, I had the wonderfull idea of flying at night. Of course, I crashed my drone into a river before I could recover it 1 second later. After 2 days of drying and cleaning, my drone flies fine except it cannot connect to any gps signal and the camera is tilted a little bit.

What can I do to repair my phantom 3 pro? Can I send it to a repair shop? Can I buy the pieces myself? Is there a log file inside the drone somewhere?

Thank you very much!

I'm located in Montreal, Canada.

2015-5-12
Use props
russell
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24259 ft

United States

I WAS FLYING AT LAKE POWELL.  HOVERING 10 FEET OVER WATER MY REMOTE STARTED SAYING" LANDING, LANDING". I HAD NO CONTROL ON THE REMOTE.  IT LANDED IN 2 FEET OF WATER.  DID MY BEST TO DRY IT OUT.  REMOTE DOES NOT TALK TO DRONE, CAMERA DOSENT WORK.  I HAVE CONTACTED  DJI FOR REPAIR #. WAITING FOR RESPONSE.  FROM SOUTHERN CALIF
2015-5-25
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

ISPCQ has been notified.  ( International Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Quads ).

Sorry ..... been there.
2015-5-25
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

This response is for turrene.alex and russel. Just asking for input purposes.
Have you tried the rice trick?   I am taking for granted that the landing was soft(Meaning No Sudden Impact).    If there was not a sudden impact, chances are that your issues are strictly electronic.
Don't shoot the messenger but I really doubt DJI will warranty an overwater landing.  That will be viewed as pilot error.     I know that sux.(See Beginning Of Sentence).
Just offering up a suggestion.     If I were in your shoes I would aquire a large amount of rice.  
Hit up wal mart.       You are looking for a plastic trash can large enough to accommodate the rice and bird.       Treat rice as you would ice in a beer cooler.  Small layer, then Phantom,and then cover Phantom completely with the rice.
Leave in rice for a couple of days.     That is a very unorthodox method.        So is returning your bird for service.      If you are only having an electronic issue the rice will dry out the bird.   
Here is the important part...Do Not Use Compressed Air To Blow Away Rice..Compressed air also carries moisture...I would recommend using several cans of keyboard cleaner instead.... Take your time,enjoy it knowing that your bird is not on transit.   It is in your house.     Be very thorough.    Remove every bit of rice possible.     Once you are satisfied that the bird is free of rice.     Power up without props.
Prove to yourself that every  aspect of that machine is up and functioning properly.     Every Aspect.        If all is well enjoy.
If you still have problems at that point you will know without  a shadow of a doubt there are mechanical issues.  Good luck man.
2015-5-25
Use props
russell
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24259 ft

United States

VERY APROPOIS
RUSS
2015-5-25
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

You can try rice or seal it in a large plastic bag with silica gel.

http://www.amazon.com/Panacea-60 ... keywords=silica+gel

http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel ... keywords=silica+gel

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrosorbe ... keywords=silica+gel
2015-5-25
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Good idea Fulgerite.    Saves on the cleanup.
2015-5-25
Use props
turenne.alex

Canada

Hi all, thanks for the replies!

I did the rice trick before noticing the problems listed in my first post. No success unfortunately After several email exchanges with DJI, I sent my drone for repairs directly to them. Apparently the repairs are going to take 5 to 6 weeks. I hope my drone is going to be okay after that!

Thanks again.
2015-5-26
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Sorry (I truly am).   Cook up a wok of drone fried rice and cheer up - maybe they'll get it repaired sooner.
2015-5-26
Use props
create4
New

Ireland

I got water in the OSMO and had a big wet patch right in the middle of the lens which looked like a dense fog covering the whole monitor in the app.
Simple solution. Turn on the OSMO and leave it on...in this case about 20 minutes...30% or so of Battery...why?.. because the head heats up when on and not in standby...it dried it out and was perfect after that.
2016-8-8
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

as far as im aware dji do recommend turning off the vps when flying over water to help with flying as the vps does not acknowledge water in terms of height above water level etc.
2016-8-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TechReviews Posted at 2016-8-9 07:17
as far as im aware dji do recommend turning off the vps when flying over water to help with flying  ...

Except the P4 does not allow you to switch off VPS.
2016-8-8
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

He has a P3P.
2016-8-8
Use props
WolvesSi
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yes, if you place it in a bag of rice overnight little Chinese people come to fix it ;)
2016-8-8
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-9 00:40
Except the P4 does not allow you to switch off VPS.

i do have the p3p, i was not ware that the vps can not be turned of on the p4, are you sure of this ?
2016-8-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TechReviews Posted at 2016-8-10 02:49
i do have the p3p, i was not ware that the vps can not be turned of on the p4, are you sure of t ...

Yep, people have been complaining about it almost since the P4 came out.
2016-8-9
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-10 00:12
Yep, people have been complaining about it almost since the P4 came out.

ok bud, seems a bit silly of DJi advising for the vps to be turned of when flying over water but then not having this option to do this  on the p4.
2016-8-11
Use props
fansc3267de7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 139797 ft

Saudi Arabia

I WAS FLYING AT THE TOP OF  WATER CANAL.  HOVERING 10 FEET OVER WATER MY REMOTE STARTED SAYING" LANDING, LANDING".I HAD NO CONTROL ON THE REMOTE. THEN AIRCRAFT IS GONE TO HOME POINT( IN THE WATER).    IT LANDED IN WATER. (UPTO GIMBAL)  DID MY BEST TO DRY IT OUT.NOW GIMBAL DOSENT WORK. CAMERA IS WORKING WELL. WAITING FOR RESPONSE.
FASIL From SAUDI ARABIA
2018-1-22
Use props
fans258f3564
New
Flight distance : 12228 ft
Australia

How much it can cost a phantom 4 pro landed on water ... I have try to fly under a bridge ... suddenly gps and remote signal lost .. same time .. hit the bridge from bottom, landed in freshwater.. 3 to 4 minit. When I took it from water the lights was on took the battery off ASAP. Back home straight away.. room heater on left it there for 3 or more hrs. I am pretty sure battery gone . 3 or that motor stuck.. two propeller gone ( couldn’t find some ware underneath that water) ... please need help. Thanks.
2018-1-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

fans258f3564 Posted at 2018-1-25 01:34
How much it can cost a phantom 4 pro landed on water ... I have try to fly under a bridge ... suddenly gps and remote signal lost .. same time .. hit the bridge from bottom, landed in freshwater.. 3 to 4 minit. When I took it from water the lights was on took the battery off ASAP. Back home straight away.. room heater on left it there for 3 or more hrs. I am pretty sure battery gone . 3 or that motor stuck.. two propeller gone ( couldn’t find some ware underneath that water) ... please need help. Thanks.

Think you should have let it dry for at lest some days before trying to power it up.
You can wait some days and try again but chances are that it is blown by now. Make sure it is placed in a warm not hot place with air circulation around.
2018-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules