Flying with phone + charge at the same time with Wireless Charging?
1634 13 2018-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cilusse
New
Flight distance : 268363 ft
United Kingdom

Hello!

I know it is not possible to charge an iPhone while flying the Mavic Pro. The Lightning port has to be used for data transmission and the Mavic Controller cannot provide the charging intensity requested by the iPhone. (Even though I heard that some Android phone do charge and drain the controller's battery really fast, maybe letting the user decide would be the solution? Imagine plugging a powerbank to the micro-USB port of the remote, charge the remote and your phone at the same time?)

- ANYWAY -

Now with the new iPhones with wireless charging, did someone try to connect the phone to the controller for data AND place the phone over a wireless charging pad?

Will this work ?

This could be the first official and easy way to charge and fly with an iPhone, at the same time.

Thank you in advance,
See ya in the air

Adrien.
cilusse.com
2018-5-17
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

So, what you are suggesting is a powerpac that connects to an inverter to raise the voltage to mains, a wireless chargeing pad somehow stuck, possibly with tape to the back of the phone which is wedged into the arms of the controller. Also, the stray alternating magnetic flux from the wireless charger is also sending stray currents through the nearby controller. You do remember the warning on the wireless pad, don't you? It would be easier and cheaper to keep the phone fully charged before use, wouldn't it?
2018-5-17
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Just what you need. Another potential source of interference. When will we learn?
2018-5-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-17 09:13
So, what you are suggesting is a powerpac that connects to an inverter to raise the voltage to mains, a wireless chargeing pad somehow stuck, possibly with tape to the back of the phone which is wedged into the arms of the controller. Also, the stray alternating magnetic flux from the wireless charger is also sending stray currents through the nearby controller. You do remember the warning on the wireless pad, don't you? It would be easier and cheaper to keep the phone fully charged before use, wouldn't it?

That sounds to dangerous
2018-5-17
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Powering up that wireless charging pad in the field is another matter though.
2018-5-17
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thats a very interesting thought. I have everything to test this out and might do that tonight.
2018-5-17
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Perhaps this simple arrangement will be a better solution.

2018-5-17
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Don't think this would be a good idea just for this reason.
Jut my opinion.
Wireless chargers creates an electromagnetic field around a magnet, which can then be used to transfer a voltage, or charge, to something nearby. This can create noise that interferes with touchscreen operation especially when the chargers omit noise suppression features.
Just think what it might do to the Compass in the controller.
2018-5-17
Use props
Cilusse
New
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-5-17 10:28
Don't think this would be a good idea just for this reason.
Jut my opinion.
Wireless chargers creates an electromagnetic field around a magnet, which can then be used to transfer a voltage, or charge, to something nearby. This can create noise that interferes with touchscreen operation especially when the chargers omit noise suppression features.

True,
Still worth trying haha
2018-5-17
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Cilusse Posted at 2018-5-17 10:44
True,
Still worth trying haha

Cilusse,
If you try it, let us know how it goes.
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We don't suggest charging the device via the wireless charger, it might cause the interference and affect the communication of the drone. Thank you.
2018-5-23
Use props
ISAWHIM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 167 ft

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-5-17 09:35
Just what you need. Another potential source of interference. When will we learn?

When they make less things that need to be interfered with, or that accept interference, just for normal operation.
2018-6-1
Use props
Cilusse
New
France

Thanks for all your answers, and yes I did consider the potential issue with interferences, I just wanted to know if someone tried this and how it went.

I don't have the ability to try it myself because I don't own any phone that supports wireless charging.

Have a great day !
2018-6-30
Use props
Rivi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74521 ft
United Arab Emirates

There are posts on the web on people trying to charge phones via both wired and wireless charging. Most phones will draw main power from the cable and as per those that tried it it didn’t make any difference.
2018-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules