1075 12 2018-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marsofearth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89829 ft
Canada

Hi everyone.

I am coming to conclude that my Mavic Air is a lemon.  I have less than 50% success rate with flying it.  What do you mean 50%?

Well.

• Constant compass calibration.  Start Mavic Air(MA) and be asked to calibrate compass.  Calibrate compass.  Put MA down, whoops be asked to calibrate compass.  Move MA to a different location where I have never had problems with compass calibration. Calibrate compass. Good, start to flight, Warning! Compass Calibration!! Calibrate compass again.  Okay seems good. Fly.
  • Gimbal moving jerky.  Sometimes the gimbal moves in jerks, or looks as if it's stuck.  Sometimes when I bring the MA back to me, with gimbal down, the gimbal will not go back up.  When I land the camera is facing straight down, it will not move up.  Turn MA off, and it feels as if camera gimbal is stuck then, loose... no problems... This happens 33% of my flights.
  • Video is noticeably soft in upper right corner to about 1/3 of corner frame.  Sharp from center to bottom left corner... Even when looking straight down on a parking lot... Then other times, no problem video is sharp through out frame... what???
  • During flight with battery at 35%, MA suddenly decides to Return to Home.  Controller disconnects then and I have to watch it take off hoping that it finds a clear spot to land.  It does not always RTH to the actual Home location taken... Very scary, this has happened twice...
  • After a firmware upgrade my MA could not hover still.  It would always drift forward right, or backward left.  when flying the MA would drift.  I spent hours and hours calibrating everying thing on the drone, IMU, vision, sensors, compass, reflashing firmware....
  • Always upgrading Firmware on controller, Batterys, Mavic Air, hoping that a firmware will fix the issues.
  • Tonight I took a quick flight, video was recorded all choppy.  This is it.  I give up.  Do people really own a MA that is not constant trouble? Because this is the last straw, I give up on this drone.

Jaded Mavic Air Pilot.
2018-5-17
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

The latest firmware 0400 from DJI contains bugs. I have issues same as you had, check my thread in camera, blurry half right side. All weird things happened from 0400. The most weird thing is that some users got issues, some did not but DJI aware of issue so hopefully for a fix will be rolled out soon. Until that, flight very carefully.
2018-5-17
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

Do people own a MA that's not constant trouble?

Well, yes mine's been pretty spot on.  I did have trouble with point one, and had to recalibrate compass lots but it has not been doing that for several weeks now.

It sounds to me that you've been unlucky and have a faulty unit.
2018-5-18
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I have no problem so far after upgrade. You need to calibrate IMU after upgrade firmware and use GJI GO on 4.2.12 version or above.
2018-5-18
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft

Sounds like your mother boards are toast. Return
2018-5-18
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

I have had no issues with the latest firmware and have not had to calibrate anything after any firmware upgrades.
2018-5-18
Use props
Marsofearth
lvl.2
Canada

Squashpile Posted at 2018-5-18 08:33
I have had no issues with the latest firmware and have not had to calibrate anything after any firmware upgrades.

Wow! That's what I want!!
2018-5-19
Use props
Marsofearth
lvl.2
Canada

GDL Posted at 2018-5-18 00:51
I have no problem so far after upgrade. You need to calibrate IMU after upgrade firmware and use GJI GO on 4.2.12 version or above.

I do that after every upgrade, and whenever the mavic air starts to act up.  Yup all the latest apps running on iOs.
2018-5-19
Use props
Marsofearth
lvl.2
Canada

Optimus Prime-Mavic Air Posted at 2018-5-17 22:30
The latest firmware 0400 from DJI contains bugs. I have issues same as you had, check my thread in camera, blurry half right side. All weird things happened from 0400. The most weird thing is that some users got issues, some did not but DJI aware of issue so hopefully for a fix will be rolled out soon. Until that, flight very carefully.

Wow, I certainly don't wish these issues on anyone else, but it is nice to hear that some of my issues are at least replicated by someone else.  I was starting to think that my expectations where too high, that mavic air was just a toy with lots of problems to be expected.
2018-5-19
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

Many times, when I start everything up to fly, I get several error messages including compass.

I usually reboot everything (RC, drone and phone) and everything is then fine.
2018-5-19
Use props
Bruno Rook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

and me, I refresh the compass. 10 sec and my drone is ready quickly
2018-5-19
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

No issues at all with mine.
Only problem I ever had was due to user error.
I launched once before home point had been recorded. It was all over the place.
(Atti mode) At first I thought it was a FW update issue because I had just done an update.
Then "She" said, 'Home point recorded' then it flew normally. Never do that again!!

2018-5-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We're sorry to hear the troubles. Could you kindly export the flight logs when the compass calibration and RTH issue? As for the jerky gimbal, we appreciate if you can offer some issue videos for analysis. We'd like to see whether these can be figured out remotely, then guide you the further steps.
2018-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules