Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sinisa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102385 ft
Croatia

Hi,

So, something strange happened.

I usually leave my Spark on a cabinet above the TV, and the batteryies near it. However, the other day I charged one battery and left it in the Spark - did not pull it out as I was planning a flight next day. In the evening I was surfing and my wife and daughter were watching the TV and all of a sudden I heard the DJI power up sound... tourned around and yep, my Spark was powering up. It did not start the motors (thank God), just blinking. Without any input whatsoever. Just sitting there and turning on.
I turned it off and pulled the battery out. The battery is the one that came with it. All of the equipment (Spark, battery and the remote) is up to date regarding firmware. I called the service the next day and they said they never heard it happening before for Spark, and that I should not be worried about the battery if the data in the app is fine (battery info - voltages, etc). They said that I could bring the Spark + battery to  them for checking If I wanted to. The battery is fine when I look in the app in battery details. However, if the battery turns itself on without any input, I am affraid it could turn itself off in flight!

Did you ever encounter anything symilar?? Should I bring the Spark and battery to service?

Thanks,
Sinke

P.S. Sorry for any grammar mistakes - not a native english speaker.
2018-5-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

freaky!   i never heard of that happening.. i had one of my batteries in my pack turn itself on before i chalked up to it being squished and button got pressed, this happened to me only once last october... maybe thats what happened to you since that's how dji drones turn on and off, is on the battery enable command....   

maybe you had battery trying to enter hibernation mode or self discharge mode but it triggered battery enable while doing that..  how long has the spark been left untouched?
2018-5-18
Use props
Sinisa
lvl.2
Croatia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-18 12:37
freaky!   i never heard of that happening.. i had one of my batteries in my pack turn itself on before i chalked up to it being squished and button got pressed, this happened to me only once last october... maybe thats what happened to you since that's how dji drones turn on and off, is on the battery enable command....   

maybe you had battery trying to enter hibernation mode or self discharge mode but it triggered battery enable while doing that..  how long has the spark been left untouched?

Well, it happened the same day it was charged. So I don't think it was the self discharge...
2018-5-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sinisa Posted at 2018-5-18 12:45
Well, it happened the same day it was charged. So I don't think it was the self discharge...

very interesting....  
2018-5-18
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

thats pretty creepy. never heard of such a thing but definitely follow up with the DJI support
2018-5-18
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

get a support ticket in with DJI
2018-5-18
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

The PC I use to edit has turned itself on a few times, so it can happen. It can be as soon as it turns off or a few minutes later.  When I turn it off now, I also have to turn off the rocker switch on the back. Hopefully for you, it's just a one-time glitch in the system. No one needs another thing to worry about when flying.
2018-5-18
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

this is surely a pilot error and nothing to do with the SPARK turning itself ON  !!
2018-5-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would be only the battery to worry about.
Since the on/off mechanism is in there.
I would check it again, at first:
Remove the props, put the batt back in and see what happens
2018-5-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-18 15:39
It would be only the battery to worry about.
Since the on/off mechanism is in there.
I would check it again, at first:

ya, you would think since that's how the drone powers up and down.. with battery enable command, technically drone always have power even if the battery is off, the pins on the connector are live you will still get voltage readings.  

so technically speaking, yes the drone could wake the battery up however unlikely that maybe, it is technically possible.  this is why a charger for example can wake the battery up, bi-directional communication not just power being pushed into the battery, actual enable command that occurs first (hence the delay from plugging it in to charging)
2018-5-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sinisa Posted at 2018-5-18 12:45

It sounds really abnormal. Please export the flight data and the black box for analysis. You can upload it to dropbox and post the link here. Thanks for your support.

2018-5-19
Use props
heliman
lvl.4

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the spark or it’s battery.
It makes no sense sending the spark for repair without the TV and a description on how to reproduce.

Fortunately there are no TV’s up-air.
Reminds me of my old Beovision crt TV. It reliably switched on every time my nokia cell phone got a call when put on the top of the TV.
2018-5-19
Use props
Jezmo
lvl.4

Strange indeed. It will be interesting to see if DJI finds anything in the black box data to indicate the cause of the random power-up.
2018-5-19
Use props
Velospinner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 532671 ft
  • >>>

Very strange - Sounds like something out of X-files -
2018-5-19
Use props
dudez7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741778 ft
Singapore

Wow....our spark overlord has awaken!
2018-5-19
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a fully charged battery completely dead in one day without any flight.  It only happened once, but I can't explain it.  I never run the batteries completely dry.  I've chalked it up to my mistake but if it happens again...
2018-5-19
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

The battery was on the spark when it went dry.
2018-5-19
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft

Velospinner Posted at 2018-5-19 05:36
Very strange - Sounds like something out of X-files - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CexMwlq3Os

odd, they do not look like the DJI  mavic air that's attacking people in active track.
2018-5-20
Use props
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

While I have never seen a Spark or a P4 battery turn itself on yet (Mine take a fairly decent amount of pressure to push the buttons in far enough to start the Turn On" process).  You mentioned having the Spark up on a shelf...   One thought I'm having on this is since it was setting higher on a shelf, maybe a loose or damaged switch on that one battery could have been forced to a pressed position by temperature changes.  Higher up in a room the temps are generally a little higher.  I've seen temp changes do things like that to certain switches on other electronic devices and even automobiles.
I would assume you have a defective Battery switch. therefore a defective battery...  and yes, if that is the case if it can turn on then it can turn off.  
Now...  how does that switch get past the short press, release then the long press to actually finish the turn on ...  Hmmmmmm..  
2018-5-20
Use props
Sinisa
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-5-19 00:35
It sounds really abnormal. Please export the flight data and the black box for analysis. You can upload it to dropbox and post the link here. Thanks for your support.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEHdAlAh9A

Hi,

thanks for the info. I will try to find the log and post it here...
2018-5-22
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

It's a secret government program to spy on us.

They turn on the Spark, and secretly watch you at home!

(Just kidding...................................or am I?)

Sid
2018-5-22
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Please post the outcome of this investigation.  Dont want my spark going off on missions without me
2018-10-12
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Your spark is watching every move you make!
2018-10-12
Use props
trt67
New

Lebanon

hello, mavic 2 pro, one month old, suddenly turned on by itself, rotors buzzed and light started flashing.  it had been shut down for days and inside a cabinet. Battery was around 75% when it was shutdown a few days ago.  i had to remove the battery to make it stop.  battery kept blinking after it was removed for a few seconds. any ideas?
2020-10-22
Use props
CallMeAlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

trt67 Posted at 10-22 06:21
hello, mavic 2 pro, one month old, suddenly turned on by itself, rotors buzzed and light started flashing.  it had been shut down for days and inside a cabinet. Battery was around 75% when it was shutdown a few days ago.  i had to remove the battery to make it stop.  battery kept blinking after it was removed for a few seconds. any ideas?

So why post this in the Spark forum???
2020-10-22
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

trt67 Posted at 10-22 06:21
hello, mavic 2 pro, one month old, suddenly turned on by itself, rotors buzzed and light started flashing.  it had been shut down for days and inside a cabinet. Battery was around 75% when it was shutdown a few days ago.  i had to remove the battery to make it stop.  battery kept blinking after it was removed for a few seconds. any ideas?

This is a Spark forum, not mavic. You may get more assistance in the Mavic forums.
2020-10-22
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow - thats creepy
2020-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now