Got any ideas on this one?
1240 27 2018-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JDavidTX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604495 ft
United States

Took Sparky out this evening for a nice evening flight.  Nothing unusual, nice evening, all systems normal.  Spark would not take off and stay in the air.  As soon as it when up it started cutting out and falling back to the ground.  Props all good, fresh bateries, even tried another battery and fresh props, same effect
Fisrt log I was about 30+ feet in the air and it just dropped like a rock with the motors running here I tried to catch it.  Tired it even in sport mode to kick up the power and still would not stay in the air.  

The only thing I noticed was a cell deviation in the first log, but the second log on the same battery looks OK.  I notices IMU/VPS Altitude doesnt match and there is several gaps with N/A but I'm not knowledgable enough in the sofware - systems to anazlize this other to say it doesn't look normal.  Anyone see something here I'm missing?

The last log file is the one in the video.  At the end I did a manual/forced landing when it was close to the ground.  It just wouldn't land and when I just tried to stop the motors it jumped back and then finally landed and shut off.

I'm pretty sure Sparky needs to get sent in for a check up!

P.S. never try to catch a falling spark, I look like I was attacked by a real bad cat.  LOL

2018-5-19
Use props
dudez7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741778 ft
Singapore

I believed u had tried IMU Calibration ?

2018-5-19
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

Yes I've done IMU Cals before.  No issues here I believe and wasn't getting any errors IMU or Compass.  I know there is a great debate on calibrate every time you fly v/s never calibrate unless you get an error.  I use to be a calibration nut and did it every time I blinked but stoped that as you can easily do a bad calibration when one wasn't needed or necessary.  But just here recently awhile back I did a refresh on v.900 and did a full calibration as I was trying to diagnose what I though was a bad gimbal which I've chalked up to just winds in sport mode.  But up until today when I went out to fly I haven't had any issues and all systems where normal.
2018-5-19
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

So did another full calibration, changed the props again, fresh battery and took it out for a test flight.  Everything worked like it did when it came out of the box.  Looking back at the flight records nothing jumps out at me except I have the worlds fastest spark flying at 329.4mph.  Seriously now really?  Definitely think there is something going on here.  Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/V2WMSV48QDPCQLOZCADR/
2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

that video definitely looks like IMU issue, classic IMU issue.   but could also be a vision system issue too given how spark lacks any redundancies... i forgot if you can even do this on the spark, but did you calibrate the vision system using DJI assistant 2 app on PC/Mac??
2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

I've never calibrated anything on the computer.  I do use a Mac but I think the only way you can calibrate or at least that I know of is on Spark is by the DJI Go 4 app.  I don't think that you can do anything by Assistant however I could be entirely wrong on that.  But at any case there is definitely an issue with the bird somewhere.
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JDavidTX Posted at 2018-5-20 14:57
I've never calibrated anything on the computer.  I do use a Mac but I think the only way you can calibrate or at least that I know of is on Spark is by the DJI Go 4 app.  I don't think that you can do anything by Assistant however I could be entirely wrong on that.  But at any case there is definitely an issue with the bird somewhere.

i cant remember if Dji assistant 2 offers vision system calibration for the dji spark..  i know they offer it on the other drones.. so they should.
edit: did a quick google on it, looks like probably doesnt have vision system calibration.  that sucks...    could try cleanign the bottom facing sensors and recalibrating IMU and controller sticks?  give it all a good once over..make sure you did it right and all good and clean..
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

wow, just noticed the logs with your speed, that's insanity... factory defective spark probably..  i wouldnt trust that drone flying around at my hands over people and property i would get it exchanged or replaced..  thats funny tho.. 300+mph..
2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3

At this point I’m definitely not goin out anywhere with it while it’s acting bi-polar. LOL
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JDavidTX Posted at 2018-5-20 15:24
At this point I’m definitely not goin out anywhere with it while it’s acting bi-polar. LOL

yea, please.. get it swapped out.  or get a refund and get mavic air.   

i gone through 2 sparks. first was a complete animal and had mind of its own, factory lemon as factory lemons get. infact funny story, i have a 72MPH speed record from my spark, because it kamakazied itself into the dirt after it ate a tree limb while ignoring my controls.   just full speed max motor speed alert and all into the dirt.

2nd one was mostly ok but occasionally had a mind of its own and ate leaves a lot both my drones loved those trees i dont know why..  wouldn't listen to my controller input and attacked trees and bushes and once or twice it swung at me trying to go somewhere else on its own..  but they both had a thing for eating those 3 trees after ignoiring my controller input..

if its my money, i rather have a drone not known for having as mind of its own..

2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

I've had actually pretty good luck with mine up until now.  However I will say this though I think my location has a lot to do with it  I'm out in a rural community far away from the big city so my signal noise is pretty minimal.  And when I go out to my friends place in the middle of BFE and fly with him its wide open on all bands 2.4 & 5.8 which I think has a lot to do with it.  I can easily reach 7900' out there one way with no problems.  But over all I'd say I got a pretty good spark It's just something here lately thats popped up.
2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

Mavic Pro however will be my next bird.  I want 4K and Speed.  That will probably happen sometime this summer.
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JDavidTX Posted at 2018-5-20 17:27
Mavic Pro however will be my next bird.  I want 4K and Speed.  That will probably happen sometime this summer.

4K and 40 mph is what both air and pro do.  they both hit same speeds (allegedly the air is a couple mph faster) and both shoot 4K, and cinema 4K 24 and 30 frames a second... the pro does have slightly better optics and faster lens (f/2.2 vs f/2.8) but mavic air has bit rate of 100mbps vs pro's 60mbps

the only things keeping me from just going out and buying an air myself while i own my mavic pro is range (im so spoiled by occusync going further than my battery can last) and battery life being able to keep my pro up for over 20 minutes at a time vs air's avg of 15-18 mins. but at some point im selling my mavic pro and getting the mavic air. im not going to hold out for a mavic pro 2 unless its smaller and easier than the first.. i like the portability better of the air and 1 step gimbal protector system..
2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

I'm with ya on the Speed, Range, and Time, give me more.  Maybe by the time I'm ready a MP2 will be out and the MP1 price will crater.  I would be happy with a 1 unless the 2 was all that and a bag of chips.
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JDavidTX Posted at 2018-5-20 17:44
I'm with ya on the Speed, Range, and Time, give me more.  Maybe by the time I'm ready a MP2 will be out and the MP1 price will crater.  I would be happy with a 1 unless the 2 was all that and a bag of chips.

if the mavic pro 2 every comes out that is.   

the rumors of it been around for almost a year now because mavic pro 1 has been around the block for about 2 years now.   the mavic pro 2 will either be a magical thing to behold and bow to or it will be very underwhelming upgrades we already seen before just now shoved into mavic pro shell...
2018-5-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi David, I'm sorry to reply you late. May I confirm that have you solved the issue or not? Could you please check if there is an error message in your DJI GO4 app? If yes, please show us a screenshot. Thanks!
2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

Not a problem Diana I know it's the weekend.    Please see the following pics.  I did take screen shots at the time of event when it was falling out of the sky.  And no I'm still having crazy issues.  Today it acted fine but the log shows me flying at 330.2 miles per hour.  There is definitely  something goin on with Spark that not in anyway normal I would say.

2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

2018-5-20
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>

It is a thing with some  DJI Sparks.
I have one of these, too. And one, not doing it.

It started some time ago (october) with one incident every now and then, for some time a workaround with starting it only with RC helped.
Git that from a video from a malay pilot, there is a post somewhere in the forum, too.
But for a week now it is always every start. Or better: since I am on a trip with this bird.
For now a sec. workaround, stick starting motors, switching to sport and using up and forward/backwards to get it into the air, is helping.
It sound a bit angryish, the Spark motorsound, during this starts, but till now it seems to do the trick
IMU calibration is also requested often,  one day I had  to do it 3 times.

I was also having the incidents with only one battery, first, but now it is with all of them.
And in the logs, before every start was bumpy, it was always one cell going down .
Will check on that, when I am home again.

My best guess, right now: IMU and sensors are faulty.
Cause bumping on the ground could not happen, in case the vps would work propper.
Which it does, after being in the air for some time. No landing trouble at the end of flights
YET!
2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

I use to think it was one certain battery.  I have 5 of them and I rotate them out except for unlucky #4.  I hate flying on #4.  Every time I used #4 something weird would happen until #3 gave me a scare.  Now #5 which is my favorite was the one yesterday that let me down.  LOL   So I think I can rule out 1 certain battery issue as I'm seeing weird stuff all across the board now.   I've thought about trying some auto take offs but honestly at this point I think I'm pushing my luck for a catastrophic failure that leads to a major crash.  It chewed my arm pretty good yesterday trying to catch it when it fell out of the air at 30+ feet.  Flesh heals but plastic on concert doesn't!
2018-5-20
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>

I still think, it can be a power issue, triggering this behavior.
I had 4 starts today, so far, and the first battery (My no.4, too ;-), which was always in the bay, when this got triggert bevor it changed to more often, did not even take off more as 20cm  with sport and all tricky stickmovings.
So perhaps it is a combination, IMU and Sensors and a short, little power instabity.

And auto take offs (slider start) was it in the beginning, with mine.
But try, it is either confirming or ....... ;-)
2018-5-20
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>

Oh, here the video I got the first workaround

2018-5-20
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

WOW very interesting I searched for videos for the  problems I was having.  I totally forgot to search for "Nyut-Nyut".  LOL  I'm almost scared to ask what Nyut-Nyut translates to in english.     I actually take off the same way, slow and checking inputs.   I never "Blast-Off" on take offs.  Slow, check inputs, check maneuvers/stability, acquire a precision home point etc.   That way if something does go wrong its not 200 feet in the air with a problem coming down.  But sometimes these small adjustments work and other times it takes Sport and FULL POWER when its falling like a rock.  But thats what I have a warrantee/Care Refresh that I paid for.  I'll let them sort it out!.  LOL
2018-5-21
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

I had exactly the same taking off problem with my first spark. It landed normally but the taking off was exactly like the video you posted. It happened ramdonly. I actually didnt fully trust that spark when came to taking off.
I reacalibrated everything (IMU/COMPASS/RC). Made sure the downward sensors were clean. Left it running for around 1 minute. And always wait for at least 10 satallites. These steps solved my problem. Is the firmware up to date?   

2018-5-21
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3

All firmware is up to date .900 and .400. I had even rolled the AC back to v.800 and reinstalled v.900 with the same issues. Played with all the Go4 apps and rolled it back to old . 4.1.18?  Seems to be the most stable and no OTG problems.  OTG v/s WiFi I’ve tried them all. However what I haven’t done is run the AC back to firmware v.800 and fly it to see what it does. But I hate the upgrade warnings every time you fly.
2018-5-21
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

So little update.  Turns out it was the mainboard on the AC.  Covered 100% by DJI $227usd repair cost.  In the return process now so waiting to see if they replaced the AC or fixed it.
2018-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules