Strange one
874 10 2018-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JockyB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2192 ft
United Kingdom

My Phantom 3 Std connects to my Galaxy S6 smartphone just fine. I also have an iPad Air2 with the DJI GO app installed. Yesterday I thought I'd try using the app on the iPad  . It connects to the aircraft, but gives me a warning that the compass needs calibrating. Repeated attempts at calibration fail with the warning  too much interference .  As a result, the aircraft just will not take off. Reconnect to my smartphone and calibrate the compass successfully. Go back to the iPad and it's still giving the warning about compass calibration. Both DJI Go apps on both devices are up to date. So for now it's smartphone only, but I would like to use the iPad for it's superior screen size. Anyone have any ideas about this?

2018-5-19
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha JockyB,

Sorry, but I do not know much about iOS products but some of the discussion here on the Forum has been about having to calibrate the compass in the iOS device, in your case the iPad Air2.  Most devices have compasses in them.  You may want to check on that.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-20
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

1st.IOS devices have a compass and the most android devices not. 2nd. most iOS devices are more sensitive than android devices.
If you want to fly with the iPAD then start the compass app on iPad first and calibrate that before you calibrate the compass on the AC. May be the compass in the iPad is the culprit of the compass miss match.
The both 2 compasses are verified by the Go app as by the Litchi as well.
That difference i saw it on both android and iOS. On android i got no interference message on iOS i got them. But with both devices as android as iOS i could start my P3 without any compass error.
2018-5-20
Use props
JockyB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks lads. Didn't know that IOS has it's own compass and this could be the cause of the problem. Think I'll just continue using my smarter than the average bear phone for now.
2018-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Peterx Posted at 2018-5-20 01:03
1st.IOS devices have a compass and the most android devices not. 2nd. most iOS devices are more sensitive than android devices.
If you want to fly with the iPAD then start the compass app on iPad first and calibrate that before you calibrate the compass on the AC. May be the compass in the iPad is the culprit of the compass miss match.
The both 2 compasses are verified by the Go app as by the Litchi as well.

1st.IOS devices have a compass and the most android devices not.
All Android devices have a compass.

The app will never give a compass calibration warning for the tablet compass - only for the Phantom's compass.
The P4 pro+ will give a warning for its display compass.
2018-5-20
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

But the app verify these datas on iOS and on android not as i know. The app means the AC´s compass was the culprit (iOS) The iOS has a compass app on board,does an android has it with in the OS ???
2018-5-20
Use props
JockyB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I checked online and only iPads with GPS built in have a compass. My iPad doesn't have GPS therefore doesn't have a built in compass. I still get the warning with the iPad, but not with my smartphone, Still leaving me puzzled as to why one works at calibrating the compass (smartphone)  and the other doesn't iPad ?
2018-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JockyB Posted at 2018-5-20 13:45
I checked online and only iPads with GPS built in have a compass. My iPad doesn't have GPS therefore doesn't have a built in compass. I still get the warning with the iPad, but not with my smartphone, Still leaving me puzzled as to why one works at calibrating the compass (smartphone)  and the other doesn't iPad ?

I checked online and only iPads with GPS built in have a compass. My iPad doesn't have GPS therefore doesn't have a built in compass.
Lots of confusion here.
All iPads and all Android devices have compasses.
iPads only have a GPS receiver if they are the cellular model.

Why are you wanting to calibrate the compass anyway?
It's not needed ever under normal circumstances.
If you put the Phantom down very close to steel you get a message about magnetic interference - move the aircraft or calibrate compass.
But the wording is bad and calibrating the compass would be the wrong thing to do.
Simply moving the aircraft away from the magnetic interference is the correct action.
2018-5-20
Use props
Dave_W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311263 ft
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-20 13:52
I checked online and only iPads with GPS built in have a compass. My iPad doesn't have GPS therefore doesn't have a built in compass.
Lots of confusion here.
All iPads and all Android devices have compasses.

My ipad has GPS and it is not the cellular model. At least it did when it still worked. (it died)
2018-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dave_W Posted at 2018-5-20 15:18
My ipad has GPS and it is not the cellular model. At least it did when it still worked. (it died)

Are you sure about that?
If true, you had a one-of-a-kind iPad.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7907532
http://kb.hemamaps.com/article/A ... e-GPS-built-in.html
https://ipadpilotnews.com/2015/12/ipad-real-gps/
2018-5-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

JockyB Posted at 2018-5-20 13:45
I checked online and only iPads with GPS built in have a compass. My iPad doesn't have GPS therefore doesn't have a built in compass. I still get the warning with the iPad, but not with my smartphone, Still leaving me puzzled as to why one works at calibrating the compass (smartphone)  and the other doesn't iPad ?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Could you please try it again in different locations? Please make sure there is no magnetic interference around the drone, thanks!
2018-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules