Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery swelling
19517 37 2018-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 116791 ft
Brazil

hello friends today I had a surprise to put the batteries to charge I noticed two batteries are swollen I do not know why the batteries is getting like this since I do not leave the batteries stored with 100% charge, I always leave in 30%, both had few loads and my drone has not even a year of use. how can we solve this problem, I need your help. Please.

right battery

right battery

right battery

right battery
2018-5-20
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Leaving them with low charge probably killed them. Lipo do not have the memory effect thing of older cells, storage is 70%-80% of charge (but the battery will do everything automatically, so just store them fully charged)
2018-5-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

how can we solve this problem, I need your help. Please.

Don't know as to why, several possibilites.  However, one thing is for sure.  You need new batteries.
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

I never left unloaded, always when it reaches 30% I'm already landing the drone, same thing when I load I go to 100%, I do not know why 2 of them happened this already 1 is ok, can I drill a hole in the plastic of the battery to leave this air from inside her?
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michel_brasil Posted at 2018-5-20 15:44
I never left unloaded, always when it reaches 30% I'm already landing the drone, same thing when I load I go to 100%, I do not know why 2 of them happened this already 1 is ok, can I drill a hole in the plastic of the battery to leave this air from inside her?

do not puncture battery cells!  that will cause runaway effect and possible a fire!  better off making a case with DJI to see if they will replace the batteries and how to handle those.  they may offer you replacement packs for free if they are still within coverage (number of charge cycles usually)

either way these batteries are very unsafe at the moment, i would put them in a metal pie dish and set them in side your garage away from anything around or above it or something where if they catch fire they wont burn your place down or smoke you out with toxic fumes.  
2018-5-20
Use props
rparge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

This is a good video on the Li-Po battery, if it is swelled, you need to properly dispose of it and do not use.
2018-5-20
Use props
CalvinC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267831 ft
United States

DJI's battery warranty is for 6 months only. Once a lipo battery has puffed, it is DONE. Don't risk it.
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

see the cycles of my batteries.
battery 01 ======= 20 cycles
battery 02 ======= 21 cycles
battery 03 ======= 23 cycles

2018-5-20
Use props
rparge
lvl.4
United States

Michel_brasil Posted at 2018-5-20 16:44
see the cycles of my batteries.
battery 01 ======= 20 cycles
battery 02 ======= 21 cycles

Does not matter, this is life with Li-Po batteries.
If you took a poll, you would find many had to discard their batteries much sooner than this.
I had to discard a Phantom battery with less than 10 "times charged" on it.
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rparge Posted at 2018-5-20 17:03
Does not matter, this is life with Li-Po batteries.
If you took a poll, you would find many had to discard their batteries much sooner than this.
I had to discard a Phantom battery with less than 10 "times charged" on it.

whahahat?  i dont think thats true at all.. lot of things contain li-pos and they dont just fail within 10 hard uses.
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

here in Brazil I paid 1.425 U $ a very expensive value for a product to present problem in the battery very fast.
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

I think it must be some manufacturing defect because it only shows the defect in two and only one is perfect without being swollen
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

my battery seems to be good here and this is one of my least used ones.. so his is definatly defective.. not a common thing, nor should ever be accepted as such
IMG-0513.JPG
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-20 17:14
my battery seems to be good here and this is one of my least used ones.. so his is definatly defective.. not a common thing, nor should ever be accepted as such

I agree with you friend, mine with much less loading and is already in this situation
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Michel_brasil Posted at 2018-5-20 17:17
I agree with you friend, mine with much less loading and is already in this situation

i would contact Dji support and explain that your battery only barely managed 20 cycles before inflating like a balloon and see if thy will offer you a replacement under any form of a warranty, usually batteries get covered separately and by amount of charge/discharge cycles more so than the amount of time.  
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-20 17:21
i would contact Dji support and explain that your battery only barely managed 20 cycles before inflating like a balloon and see if thy will offer you a replacement under any form of a warranty, usually batteries get covered separately and by amount of charge/discharge cycles more so than the amount of time.

Friend that's what I'll do, how do I get in touch with dji support?
2018-5-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Michel_brasil Posted at 2018-5-20 15:44

can I drill a hole in the plastic of the battery to leave this air from inside her?

NO!  
First off, drilling a hole in plastic case holding batteries would be dangerous.
Secondly, there is no air pressure to relieve.  
Third, case swelling is caused by the batteries inside themselves swelling.
Fourth, hole into actual batteries would not do any good.

2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Michel_brasil Posted at 2018-5-20 17:31
Friend that's what I'll do, how do I get in touch with dji support?

https://www.dji.com/support

click on  online support then mavic then product and tech support, scroll down and do a live chat when they are available again.

or call them by clicking Tel button.

or you can click on email and submit your case (however i warn you they are pretty bad at keeping track with emails.
2018-5-20
Use props
rparge
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-20 17:06
whahahat?  i dont think thats true at all.. lot of things contain li-pos and they dont just fail within 10 hard uses.

No kidding, I kept it inside @ 72 F / 22 C all the time, never let it get below 30%, stored it @ 40-50% charge, and one time when I went to use it, got a battery error. I discharged to 5% and charged to 100% several times, all to no avail. Off to the recycle it went. Not risking a P4P over a US $90 battery.
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-20 17:39
can I drill a hole in the plastic of the battery to leave this air from inside her?

NO!  

got it. but I did not bore it I thought it could be dangerous. it really looks like it has air inside.
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-20 17:41
https://www.dji.com/support

click on  online support then mavic then product and tech support, scroll down and do a live chat when they are available again.

the support is still offline but tomorrow comes here in Brazil I contact them. and then I warn everyone that was solved with my battery problem
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Michel_brasil Posted at 2018-5-20 17:52
the support is still offline but tomorrow comes here in Brazil I contact them. and then I warn everyone that was solved with my battery problem

sounds like a plan, good luck!  i believe dji moderators will be around  on here tomorrow as well so you can probably plead your case to them here give em your support ticket number to investigate it.. and see if they can help get you a better outcome and get it replaced for free
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-20 17:53
sounds like a plan, good luck!  i believe dji moderators will be around  on here tomorrow as well so you can probably plead your case to them here give em your support ticket number to investigate it.. and see if they can help get you a better outcome and get it replaced for free

I hope that the moderators of Dji see this case, where I already have several data and information from my two batteries that is with this inclement and with this risk of exploding.
2018-5-20
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I do hope that the outcome is well for you but honestly I think is very slim for two reasons.  One is it is older than 6 months and it clearly states 6 months for their battery policy regardless.  Second is now that it has been made public they will probably be even less inclined to because say they make an acception for you then the flock will come running in as to why they need to be made an acception for as well.  Like I said though I do hope they do they right thing and you get two new batteries.
2018-5-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-20 18:18
I do hope that the outcome is well for you but honestly I think is very slim for two reasons.  One is it is older than 6 months and it clearly states 6 months for their battery policy regardless.  Second is now that it has been made public they will probably be even less inclined to because say they make an acception for you then the flock will come running in as to why they need to be made an acception for as well.  Like I said though I do hope they do they right thing and you get two new batteries.

6 months coverage is way to short of a coverage period.  they should base is off of condition and charge cycles. that's how most everyone handles batteries.   if they state less than 200 cycles (so 199 cycles) assuming the battery itself wasn't externally damaged and it isn't a wear and tear claim (slightly reduced life) that's how they should cover it..

i had batteries replaced in many things beyond their warranty period as long as i stayed within cycle period..sometimes i had to plead my case a bit more and convince of it.  but i yet to been full on denied a claim on a battery.    even for car batteries and ATV batteries they cover it based mostly on amount of wear on the cells (since no cycle info) and give you a discount on a new battery based on how much wear is on your returned battery (as long as it isnt 5 years old).. obviously needs to be a limit on time but 6 months is waay short of really working the battery at a normal rate.
2018-5-20
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1
Brazil

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-20 18:33
6 months coverage is way to short of a coverage period.  they should base is off of condition and charge cycles. that's how most everyone handles batteries.   if they state less than 200 cycles (so 199 cycles) assuming the battery itself wasn't externally damaged and it isn't a wear and tear claim (slightly reduced life) that's how they should cover it..

i had batteries replaced in many things beyond their warranty period as long as i stayed within cycle period..sometimes i had to plead my case a bit more and convince of it.  but i yet to been full on denied a claim on a battery.    even for car batteries and ATV batteries they cover it based mostly on amount of wear on the cells (since no cycle info) and give you a discount on a new battery based on how much wear is on your returned battery (as long as it isnt 5 years old).. obviously needs to be a limit on time but 6 months is waay short of really working the battery at a normal rate.

I also agree, the time was very short for a battery that costs the same as an automotive battery, not counting the number of very few charge cycles, I hope the dji administrators see my case and solve because it is complicated to buy a drone with high value and the battery have no life guarantee.
2018-5-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, Michel regarding with that I would suggest to you to reach out one of the DJI support channels in order for you to have the support help you, just go to https://www.dji.com/support and you can select there Between Email, Online support and Phone as well.
2018-5-21
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-5-21 11:45
Hi there, Michel regarding with that I would suggest to you to reach out one of the DJI support channels in order for you to have the support help you, just go to https://www.dji.com/support and you can select there Between Email, Online support and Phone as well.

Hi friend, good evening.I wanted to solve this problem, a battery with little cycle and so little use, I contacted the support of Dji and told me that the warranty is only 6 months, I was very sad with this situation, I paid such a high value in this device, here in Brazil things are not usually cheap like in the US or China, so not when I can fly again with my drone.
2018-5-22
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Michel_brasil Posted at 2018-5-22 04:46
Hi friend, good evening.I wanted to solve this problem, a battery with little cycle and so little use, I contacted the support of Dji and told me that the warranty is only 6 months, I was very sad with this situation, I paid such a high value in this device, here in Brazil things are not usually cheap like in the US or China, so not when I can fly again with my drone.

I would insist for warranty replacement anyway. In EU there is warranty 2 years for whole product, isn't something similar also in Brazil?
2018-5-22
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1

DH_Pilot Posted at 2018-5-22 05:47
I would insist for warranty replacement anyway. In EU there is warranty 2 years for whole product, isn't something similar also in Brazil?

I think who should cover the warranty of the product is the manufacturer, but they are informing that it is a 6 month warranty only on batteries, a small warranty, being that my drone took a fall or had any accident.

2018-5-22
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1

It's friends see the response that DJI support has given me. Unfortunately I bought a two battery with only a few months and with few loads, very disappointed with DJI, and today I entered a site of researches and complaints here in Brazil about any company and DJI does not respond to customers from Brazil unfortunately leaving their without warranty and support. It will be a case of rethinking if DJI is worth even having in Brazil, since in other countries the laws are more severe with the manufacturers of products.

Kevin Blonie (Support)

5 月 23 日 CST08: 13

Dear Michel,

A pleasant day to you!

Thank you for your response.

We truly understand your sentiment about the battery. However, as much as I want to help you with the two swollen battery. We are just following our after-sales policy. What we mentioned on my previous email, we regret to inform you that based on the information provided indicates that the batteries are outside the warranty period (6 months).

Because of the structure of battery, it can not be repaired. If it is out of warranty and indeed dead. We recommend that you purchase a new battery from an authorized DJI dealer or the DJI Online Store or you may contact us at support@dji.com.

We humbly ask your patience and kind understanding about this matter.

Have a great day.
You will receive an email survey two days after this email if not answered. If you happen to be away and will not be able to answer this email timely, please disregard the survey and reply to us directly.

Best Regards,
2018-5-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

How are your credit card laws and banking laws in Brazil?   

If it were me and they refused me warranty I would backcharge it and dispute it for poor customer care.  Get money back and purchase replacement batteries with the refund.  
2018-5-22
Use props
Michel_brasil
lvl.1

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-22 21:09
How are your credit card laws and banking laws in Brazil?   

If it were me and they refused me warranty I would backcharge it and dispute it for poor customer care.  Get money back and purchase replacement batteries with the refund.

The laws of credit cards in Brazil are very different, and this possibility of delaying payment will harm me by sending my name and my cpf to the credit bureaus.But I will talk to my lawyer and see the possibility of getting justice against Dji, I think in this case it would not be very good for them (dji) to file in the Brazilian court.
2018-5-23
Use props
MartinJurik
New
Czechia

DH_Pilot Posted at 2018-5-22 05:47

There is no way 2 years warranty for batteries in the EU. Maybe for the products itself but not for the battery. I am dealing now the same problem in Czechia and I was told that warranty for batteries they cover for 1 year. I guess I am out of luck.
2020-6-25
Use props
Mastertech
lvl.2
Flight distance : 601781 ft
United States

I have a Phantom 4 pro, had it for almost 5 years now.   About a month ago I noticed all three of the batteries started puffing up and almost hard to remove from the drone.

I know there isn't a warranty in the world that covers old so I was brave and CAREFULLY poked a small hole in the outer pouch bag on one to see what would happen.
The pouch exhausted a small amount of some sort of toxic gas Im sure. it shrunk back down to its original size and seems to be fine.  ( Toxic and flammable gas escaping so DONT TRY THIS)
I'm going to put it in the drone and hover 1 foot off the ground till that battery is low and it lands., then I'm charging it OUTSIDE and watching.   
Those batteries are 200$ each...I have 3. so to replace them is 600$. If they are bad so be it safety first right.

but if they are just gassing like every other battery in the world does maybe it should vent to let these harmful gasses escape. ( or does the EPA require these gasses be contained?)  

Ill let you know because Im going to turn this into a science experiment.  I have three subjects to work with.
2021-3-13
Use props
Mastertech
lvl.2
United States

Mastertech Posted at 3-13 09:49
I have a Phantom 4 pro, had it for almost 5 years now.   About a month ago I noticed all three of the batteries started puffing up and almost hard to remove from the drone.

I know there isn't a warranty in the world that covers old so I was brave and CAREFULLY poked a small hole in the outer pouch bag on one to see what would happen.

It flew for 8 min with no problems, lost 15-20% of the battery  but nothing unusual, When I landed the battery was no hotter than normal and it did not smell unusual like fumes were coming out of it.

Im going to fly it again tomorrow then charge it outside.  and watch it  closely...see how it fares and for how long.

let me say again DJI ROCKS!!!! and yes they are right to only fly with quality parts KNOWN TO BE PERFECT in every way. because anything less would be hazardous and reckless. ( My sur and middle names ..LOL) For science Im checking this one, then the other two one by one. I will be buying new batteries to fly over the world outside of my back yard.
2021-3-16
Use props
Mastertech
lvl.2
United States

Mastertech Posted at 3-16 18:19
It flew for 8 min with no problems, lost 15-20% of the battery  but nothing unusual, When I landed the battery was no hotter than normal and it did not smell unusual like fumes were coming out of it.

Im going to fly it again tomorrow then charge it outside.  and watch it  closely...see how it fares and for how long.

ok so Ive flown that battery for 26 min and its been charged again...all looks just fine. led lights say 100% and at 26 min from full charge to 25% Id say its still ok...so far.

I also just recieved one aftermarket battery to test...it fired up my drone ok and seems to work just like the others. we will check duration and durability over time .

Anyway...No fires, No smoke, No explosive reaction...just a poof of gas with a pinprick and back to normal size that fits in the drone. no change other that bloated size is gone...

so far
2021-3-17
Use props
Mastertech
lvl.2
United States

Last flight on my original battery, the two aftermarket batteries seem to be working fine.  I think the original was working fine too. when I install it it shows full charge and the system powers up and seems ok...
BUT i now get a message telling me that particular battery is no longer safe to fly and it will not let me take off with that battery installed.
HUH?  did I just get timed out on a battery that is still fully charged and seems to hold the charge ok. No better or worst than the others.  Im going to test that battery thuroughly as I am wondering if Im being "Apple-d".

ill post up what I find.
2021-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules