ND Filters P4A + And memory cards
1594 21 2018-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Can I please ask for advice from some of you more experienced video/camera experts.
Memory Card
Initially I made some video settings on my P4A + at 4K and then starting looking at other options, but the thing I did notice at no matter what format (MOV/MP4) at 1080p I do not see 120fps.

I am running the latest firmware on both remote & drone.

Now I am assuming, this is down to the write speed of my memory card, previously from a GoPro class 10 extreme etc. So I have ordered a Sandisk V30, which should hopefully arrive today, has anyone else experienced anything similar issues possibly due to write speeds of cards and the drone hardware/software detecting this ?

Note/Info
I did also have to upgrade to the latest version of FCP(Final Cut Pro) 10.4 to allow H265 4k (Mov or MP4) to be compatible, 10.3 could only read H264 4k.

ND Filters
I want to hopefully do a mixture of landscape/sea video's/surfing video's and pictures, therefore straight off the bat I am thinking I need a polarising filter of some degree.

So initially if you could only buy one ND filter, what would be your first choice(Yes maybe more later if Santa is good to me) ?

Then given a choice of DJI or third party filters, which would you choose (as I have heard some third party filters are heavier and therefore the gimbal works harder, plus the plastic drone travel/transit bracket will not fit) ?

Sorry for the long post !

2018-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The spec says it will do 1920 x 1080p @120 fps and 100 Mbs. so you should be able to choose it, but you will have to choose the NTSC mode (no idea why as it has nothing to do with HD video at all). I don't know what a Sandisk V30 is, but you really should use a Sandisk Extreme Pro series card, the GoPro card is probably not fast enough.

As far a ND filters are concerned, try the Polar Pro series.
2018-5-20
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-20 21:27
The spec says it will do 1920 x 1080p @120 fps and 100 Mbs. so you should be able to choose it, but you will have to choose the NTSC mode (no idea why as it has nothing to do with HD video at all). I don't know what a Sandisk V30 is, but you really should use a Sandisk Extreme Pro series card, the GoPro card is probably not fast enough.

As far a ND filters are concerned, try the Polar Pro series.

Thanks I have tried NTSC and Pal.

This is the one the Sandisk V30 very fast card recommended on DJI.com shop/store:
SanDisk Extreme microSDXC Memory Card Plus SD Adapter with A1 App Performance Up to 100MB/s, 128 GB, Class 10, U3, V30.

https://store.dji.com/product/sandisk-micro-sd-card-128gb

Polar Pro series are they third party or DJI's own brand ?

And what grade would be your first buying choice ?

Thanks
2018-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KEJ Posted at 2018-5-20 21:38
Thanks I have tried NTSC and Pal.

This is the one the Sandisk V30 very fast card recommended on DJI.com shop/store:

OK on the card, that should be fast enough. I don't have a P4, so I can't help you with specific assistance regards to the menu, but 120 fps is twice 60 fps, which for whatevber reason is DJI's idea of what NTSC would be, so you will need to switch to NTSC first, then select 1920 x 1080 afterwards. The speed of the card has no effect on what resolution and frame speed you select, it is up to you to know the card is fast enough.

I don't use polarised filters, I use straight filters to lower the shutter speed, and I have 8, 16 and 32 filters in my kit. I mostly use the 16 as the sun is always very bright here in Australia (when it is out). You might find an 8 is better suited to you in the UK. Polarised filters are difficult I find, as you cannot adjust them once you are in the air.

Polar Pro are a 3rd. party supplier, but very good quality filters.
2018-5-20
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-20 22:26
OK on the card, that should be fast enough. I don't have a P4, so I can't help you with specific assistance regards to the menu, but 120 fps is twice 60 fps, which for whatevber reason is DJI's idea of what NTSC would be, so you will need to switch to NTSC first, then select 1920 x 1080 afterwards. The speed of the card has no effect on what resolution and frame speed you select, it is up to you to know the card is fast enough.

I don't use polarised filters, I use straight filters to lower the shutter speed, and I have 8, 16 and 32 filters in my kit. I mosatly use the 16 as the sun is always very bright here in Australia (when it is out). You might find an 8 is better suited to you in the UK. Polarised filters are difficult I find, as you cannot adjust them once you are in the air.

Thanks again for the prompt replies.

Yes, I agree, but the 120 fps option is not there and I would expect to see it for 1080(p), so I am assuming its the card, just checked on Amazon out for delivery.

I will try again just incase - but may wait until the post arrives.

Regarding filters, no thats good so I am aiming for sunny days here(odd ones we get) so good advice and maybe initially I stay clear of the polarised versions.

Thanks

2018-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KEJ Posted at 2018-5-20 22:33
Thanks again for the prompt replies.

Yes, I agree, but the 120 fps option is not there and I would expect to see it for 1080(p), so I am assuming its the card, just checked on Amazon out for delivery.

Look out for 1920, not 1080 in the menu perhaps. And no, the card has nothing to do with the selection.

You might consider Polar Pro's Graduated filters for the UK. In most video footage I see from the UK the sky can blow out but the land surface is dull and underexposed. This is where a graduated filter can help you. I would try their light filter first and see how you like it.
2018-5-20
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-20 22:56
Look out for 1920, not 1080 in the menu perhaps. And no, the card has nothing to do with the selection.

You might consider Polar Pro's Graduated filters for the UK. In most video footage I see from the UK the sky can blow out but the land surface is dull and underexposed. This is where a graduated filter can help you. I would try their light filter first and see how you like it.

Filters
Good advice - thanks.

120fps
Just rechecked, went through every option and as you said ensuring NTSC and H264 and for 1080p all there now, said camera had to restart etc - thank you.

I wonder why that option is not available for Pal?

No worries sorted on that front - cheers
2018-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KEJ Posted at 2018-5-20 23:03
Filters
Good advice - thanks.

'I wonder why that option is not available for Pal?'

Dunno. The whole NTSC/PAL thing only relates to standard definition television broadcasting, now a thing of the past. All the video modes on the Phantom are High Definition, and the NTSC/PAL thing does not apply to high definition file based formats.
2018-5-21
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

As you have already figured out it is a limit when using H265/HEVC, all modes possible for H264 and H265 are listed in the specs.
I also has wondered why the would be no 100Fps option in any modes but shooting 4K in H265 i am limited to 25Fps anyway.

If important also be aware that only a few of the listed frame rates is actually being recorded at that rate but more likely just below, in other words the listed rates is a rounded number in most of the modes.
2018-5-21
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-21 00:57
'I wonder why that option is not available for Pal?'

Dunno. The whole NTSC/PAL thing only relates to standard definition television broadcasting, now a thing of the past. All the video modes on the Phantom are High Definition, and the NTSC/PAL thing does not apply to high definition file based formats.

True, thanks
2018-5-21
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-21 03:18
As you have already figured out it is a limit when using H265/HEVC, all modes possible for H264 and H265 are listed in the specs.
I also has wondered why the would be no 100Fps option in any modes but shooting 4K in H265 i am limited to 25Fps anyway.

Good point on the spec.

Thanks
2018-5-21
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Phantom 4 Pro/Adv ND16 Filter

Does anybody know, regarding the Phantom 4 Pro/Adv ND16 Filter that is sold in the DJI Store (£29) is that the same size as the standard lens UV protector that the P4A is originally shipped with ?
Just thinking if so, then potentially some less grief having to change lens covers for transporting ?

And has anyone out there used the DJI version I am mentioning ?

Thanks in advance...

2018-5-22
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

KEJ Posted at 2018-5-22 12:31
Phantom 4 Pro/Adv ND16 Filter

Found out yes apparently it is
2018-5-23
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

I generally only use an ND 4 and 8  non polarising filters  here in UK , however a graduated filter as Geebax suggested  could be an option although i have not gone that route myself .... i may give that a try myself .   For me i like to take photos as well as video in the same flight so filters are always going to be compromising on the stills  but help in smooth vids
2018-5-23
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-23 10:37
I generally only use an ND 4 and 8  non polarising filters  here in UK , however a graduated filter as Geebax suggested  could be an option although i have not gone that route myself .... i may give that a try myself .   For me i like to take photos as well as video in the same flight so filters are always going to be compromising on the stills  but help in smooth vids

Thanks for the info.

Yes I also believe that, I did also think is a 16 too full on, but I will soon see.

2018-5-23
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

KEJ Posted at 2018-5-23 11:04
Thanks for the info.

Yes I also believe that, I did also think is a 16 too full on, but I will soon see.

I found 16 too much even 8 unless  filming on the coast or over water , just have a play and see what works for you ,  
2018-5-23
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-23 11:31
I found 16 too much even 8 unless  filming on the coast or over water , just have a play and see what works for you ,

Out of interest what shutter speed were you using ?

2018-5-23
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
United Kingdom

I leave it in auto which works well for me , occasionally i do a bit of work in edit but not much the P4P camera is  very good , one thing i would say is ... if you take stills just use the clear uv filter supplied so you can capture all the detail and tilt the gimble down slightly to reduce overexposure from the sky ( graduated filter may work well here? ) .
Do you buy the Drone magazine here in the uk ? if you do check out vol  no32 (May ) pages 25-25 , that is one of my photos taken over the south coast with no filters in full sun and no colour correction in edit etc , at a height of 20mtrs the detail is amazing   
2018-5-23
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-23 21:38
I leave it in auto which works well for me , occasionally i do a bit of work in edit but not much the P4P camera is  very good , one thing i would say is ... if you take stills just use the clear uv filter supplied so you can capture all the detail and tilt the gimble down slightly to reduce overexposure from the sky ( graduated filter may work well here? ) .
Do you buy the Drone magazine here in the uk ? if you do check out vol  no32 (May ) pages 25-25 , that is one of my photos taken over the south coast with no filters in full sun and no colour correction in edit etc , at a height of 20mtrs the detail is amazing

Thanks for the info and that confirms what I was thinking and had read thanks.

No I don't buy any magazines really, is the magine or picture online ?

Or are you able to attach the picture as a personal message ?

I do tend to have a little play in photoshop to tweak or some other application.
2018-5-24
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2173517 ft
Netherlands

KEJ Posted at 2018-5-23 10:03
Found out yes apparently it is

Do they fit on the screw thread of the P4 Standard? Somewhere else I read the P4P thread is different from the P4 Standard.

I currently own a ND8 Filter which just moves over the camera, but I would like one that is screwed on so the original glass in front of the camera is removed. I would like to know if the DJI ND8 filter in the webshop of DJI will fit this screw thread (the information shows it's compatible with DJI P4 Advanced and says nothing about the P4 standard).
2018-9-1
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-1 02:39
Do they fit on the screw thread of the P4 Standard? Somewhere else I read the P4P thread is different from the P4 Standard.

I currently own a ND8 Filter which just moves over the camera, but I would like one that is screwed on so the original glass in front of the camera is removed. I would like to know if the DJI ND8 filter in the webshop of DJI will fit this screw thread (the information shows it's compatible with DJI P4 Advanced and says nothing about the P4 standard).

Hi
My understanding is that the camera and the camera threads for the filters on the P4P(Phantom 4 Pro) are the same as for the P4A (Phantom 4 Advanced).

However, these are different to the slightly older standard P4(Phantom 4) as is the camera and the camera threads for the filters.

Therefore I believe the P4 filters will not fit the P4P(P4A) and vice versa.

In addition, its worth noting,  I have some NEEWER P4P/P4A ND filters that fit my drone(P4A) and some other NEEWER ND PL's that did not. However, NEEWER did replace them to be fair, very good customer service.

I have now just acquired some P4P/P4A Polar Pro ND PL filters and they fit perfectly and seem lighter also.

Cheers

2018-9-1
Use props
healinglaw
New

United States

Good question...
2018-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules