Spark Combo and Samsung Galaxy S9+
4424 10 2018-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeTechno
lvl.1

I am ready to buy the Spark combo, however I am a little concerned and/or confused about spending $600. At present, the Android DJI Go app that allows it all to work has a rating of 2.5 +- with 40% of those ratings being 1 star. I have watched you tube videos that say you must use an OTG cable, some later videos say it is not needed. Logic dictates that with a rating of 2.5, something within the app/phone/drone/controller/whatever seems to need something. I do not understand why a company with best product out there has the worst rated app to support it.

I have a new up to date Samsung Galaxy S9+. My question is simple. If I spend the money to buy the combo with the controller, is EVERYTHING, not just parts of it occasionally going to work together without jumping through hoops, spending more money,  waiting for a better update,? Or is Android just taking a backseat to improving iOS ?

Thanks,
JR

2018-5-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi,

I am sorry for that inconvinience. Rest assure we are trying our best to make the DJI GO4 app as user friendly as possible. If you have any ideas for us to add in to the application please feel free to let us know so that we can make the app better. Upon checking the Samsung Galaxy S9+ if it is compatible with the DJI GO4 app. I am sorry to say that as of the moment the Samsung Galaxy S9+ is not yet compatible with DJI GO4 application. You can check this link to check all the compatible devices ( https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads ).

Thank you.
2018-5-21
Use props
JoeTechno
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for getting back. To be clear, if I buy the spark to use with my s9+, I would have a $600 paper weight i could not fly ,?
2018-5-21
Use props
mzak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12270 ft
Singapore

I don't understand why it's mentioned to be not compatible, I have a S9+ as well and it works fine. It can be downloaded from the play store as well. My guess is that the website provided by DJI Stephen is not updated since the S9+ is new.

When I say fine, I mean it works similarly to my previous Galaxy S7. Meaning the bugs and lack of features are similar. Most notably no OTG support, because OTG greatly stabilises the signal for me (I live in a CE country). Without OTG there are frequent disconnects shown, though the remote and Spark are still linked and I can still fly...Just that the app shows "No signal". I have not tried the latest version of the app but there seems to be mixed feedback about whether OTG is working or not.

Unfortunately I have to say that through my many months of owning the Spark, Android development of the app clearly takes a backseat to iOS. Not to say the Spark's not flyable with the S9+ though, I've gotten great footage with it on both phones.
2018-5-21
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

JoeTechno Posted at 2018-5-21 08:47
Thanks for getting back. To be clear, if I buy the spark to use with my s9+, I would have a $600 paper weight i could not fly ,?

Hi Joe, Like you I have a Samsung but its an S8+.

To be 100% I had to buy an Iphone 7+ as I wanted something reliable.

IOS makes 1 Operating System for all IPhones, and DJI creates 1 Version of  DJI Go4 App for IOS.

When you look at Android, there are so many Variants + different Android Phones that its impossible that Bugs don't arise, its a really big headache for Programmers to make an Android Bug Free.

Here you will find many Android Users, most in Europe need OTG and even with OTG, the Wifi Power here in Europe is very bad. If you are American, and use FCC thats another story as the Wifi is very Powerful there.

Depends on where you are Located. I still suggest OTG as I prefer a Wired Connection than a Wifi Air Signal. Which do you prefer Wired Internet via Cable or Wifi Internet with Interrupts ? Simple right. I suggest Cable over Air Signal.

The Samsung S9+ is a New Phone, I am sure in a matter of time it will be supported, what I suggest is that if you have a Local DJI Agent, you go and do a Test at his DJI Shop, if you buy it online then that will be a problem as you cannot test it beforehand.

Try to find a Local Agent or Drone Shop who can test your Samsung S9+.
2018-5-21
Use props
JoeTechno
lvl.1

mzak Posted at 2018-5-21 08:57
I don't understand why it's mentioned to be not compatible, I have a S9+ as well and it works fine. It can be downloaded from the play store as well. My guess is that the website provided by DJI Stephen is not updated since the S9+ is new.

When I say fine, I mean it works similarly to my previous Galaxy S7. Meaning the bugs and lack of features are similar. Most notably no OTG support, because OTG greatly stabilises the signal for me (I live in a CE country). Without OTG there are frequent disconnects shown, though the remote and Spark are still linked and I can still fly...Just that the app shows "No signal". I have not tried the latest version of the app but there seems to be mixed feedback about whether OTG is working or not.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the USA. I do not plan on trying to push the limits of the spark, set records,  or fly to the moon and then around the world. I am assuming that the S9+ will fit into the holder jaws on the controller ?? I just want to be able to use the controller with the S9+ to go up and out and take a few photos and videos, and have an idea where I am. At this point, I am more concerned with not having it fly away than I am perfect video quality.

I know it depends on different things, but generally,  how high and about how far can I take it before it becomes a disaster and I lose it.
Thanks again
2018-5-21
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

JoeTechno Posted at 2018-5-21 10:00
Thanks for the reply. I am in the USA. I do not plan on trying to push the limits of the spark, set records,  or fly to the moon and then around the world. I am assuming that the S9+ will fit into the holder jaws on the controller ?? I just want to be able to use the controller with the S9+ to go up and out and take a few photos and videos, and have an idea where I am. At this point, I am more concerned with not having it fly away than I am perfect video quality.

I know it depends on different things, but generally,  how high and about how far can I take it before it becomes a disaster and I lose it.

Hi Joe,

In the US, you are fortunate enought in having FCC Mode which give you Full Power over controlling the Spark, here in Europe the Power is 'Crab'.

Samsung S9+ is almost same size as my S8+ so it will fit perfectly.

Dimensions        
6.22 x 2.91 x 0.33 inches (158.1 x 73.8 x 8.5 mm)        
6.28 x 2.89 x 0.32 inches (159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1 mm)

Be sure to make a Preflight Checklist, check Compass, GPS Satellites Lock etc..... and always fly in Line of Sight so that if something happens you can land immediately ! If you dont abuse it, by going very far distances etc.. you wont have any trouble. You being aware and worried is enought proof that you are a Cautious Pilot ! Welldone !

Just one thing to notice - Watch Videos about ATTI Mode, just in case you lose GPS while Flying. All the ATTI means is that the Drone wont Return to Home Automatically as it wont have directions, you need to Manually Bring it Home. During ATTI the Drone won't keep its position so if you Hover and dont do nothing to bring it home, the wind may drift it away, but if you use the controller you can Manually Land it back to where you are. So thats nothing to worry about. Just learn about this, me as a Beginner did a lot of research on this matter. Just my tip so that you have peace of mind.

Good luck Buddy ! Hope you manage to use your Samsung S9+ as its a Beautiful Phone Buddy !
2018-5-21
Use props
JoeTechno
lvl.1

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-21 10:16
Hi Joe,

In the US, you are fortunate enought in having FCC Mode which give you Full Power over controlling the Spark, here in Europe the Power is 'Crab'.

Just a quick bit of info on the S9+. My computer has the i7 7700k chip with an EVGA 1080  card. I can do an internet search on both at the same time, and the S9 is only slightly behind the computer in speed. This this is amazing, however, I did just upgrade from a dark ages era  S4. :-)

Thanks for all the support and help
JR
2018-5-21
Use props
Allexgomes
lvl.1

Hello, I have tried to connect my Spark usind DJI GO 4 app in my S9+, but even though the mobile WI FI is connected to the RC´s wifi, the App cant´s recognize the combo. I used my mom´s Iphone to test and it worked in her phone. What are any of the mobile configurations wich I have to change so the App can recognizes the device? My best fried has the same drone and uses a S9+ and it´s working with his phone, no problem for him. I a really concerned that I have to switch my phone, that cost me lot of money!
2018-9-16
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

You should get the refurbished fly more combo, in my opinion, it is better than the brand new edition. you should get it, you only live once and might as well.
2018-9-16
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

JoeTechno Posted at 2018-5-21 10:00
Thanks for the reply. I am in the USA. I do not plan on trying to push the limits of the spark, set records,  or fly to the moon and then around the world. I am assuming that the S9+ will fit into the holder jaws on the controller ?? I just want to be able to use the controller with the S9+ to go up and out and take a few photos and videos, and have an idea where I am. At this point, I am more concerned with not having it fly away than I am perfect video quality.

I know it depends on different things, but generally,  how high and about how far can I take it before it becomes a disaster and I lose it.

It does fit, I sometimes use my dad's note 8 and it does become difficult, but your phone should fit perfectly fine. good luck
2018-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules