Spark lost 1 month ago - Trying to understand why
1464 29 2018-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chaoscontrol
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39131 ft
Germany

Hi guys. I lost my Spark more than a month ago during an innocent flight. I already have my Mavic Air as a replacement, but I am bothered because I cannot understand why it happened.  If someone can have a look at the log and try and understand what happened that day, maybe I could avoid it in the future.

The log is here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/HZSZES0KCALODIKBY793/#

I was flying normally, and suddenly the Drone starting drifiting hard. There was some wind. Didn't seem too much for that reaction. I got scared, and tried to land, but there are some tall trees, so I had to counter the wind speed with the controller, holding the spark still on my garden, and then get it down. Well I couldn't.

At some point, it stopped responding as I expected, and started accelerating hard. Then I lost sight of it. Then I lost connection to it. And that's it.

Looking at the record, you can see the big arch path (that was when it went away ultra fast and I lost sight). Then it seems it stopped, and then it kept going or something like that. Lots of differents errors during the log.

To me it didn't feel only wind tbh. The Spark is not a parachute, it is not that reactive to gusts to accelerate how it did. It never returned home, so either it crashed, or it never could counter the wind.

2018-5-21
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your flight log shows the compass was experiencing some type of interference. Did you take off from a concrete pad in the backyard?
2018-5-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Sorry for what happend to you spark. Rest assure DJI will look in to this issue that you incountered. For us to help you further let me gather some information about what happend to your Spark. Have you reported the inccident to DJI?
2018-5-21
Use props
Chaoscontrol
lvl.1
Germany

msinger Posted at 2018-5-21 07:52
Your flight log shows the compass was experiencing some type of interference. Did you take off from a concrete pad in the backyard?

I did. Not sure if concrete, but yeah, stone. I have always done it that way to be honest. Never had a problem.
2018-5-21
Use props
Chaoscontrol
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-5-21 07:54
Sorry for what happend to you spark. Rest assure DJI will look in to this issue that you incountered. For us to help you further let me gather some information about what happend to your Spark. Have you reported the inccident to DJI?

No I didn't report it because I assumed it was my fault somehow, so I didn't expect any help from them. What should I do?
2018-5-21
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Chaoscontrol Posted at 2018-5-21 07:59
No I didn't report it because I assumed it was my fault somehow, so I didn't expect any help from them. What should I do?

Contact Customer Support and Open a Ticket, DJI will help you out.

https://www.dji.com/support

2018-5-21
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

More and more people signal this fault: they say a weak GPS signal, then switch to ATTI mode (despite 17 satellites), then interference and compass error, and of course the interruption of the connection. At this time, it typically does not hovering and does not come home, but starts at a high speed in an unknown direction.
This looks like a common mistake for Spark. I think a firmware bug. I have already returned V01.00.0701.
2018-5-21
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

This may be a case where you can claim for a new drone.  However please note that SPARK has to be at least 50 meters up in altitude and  not 50ft for a proper operation from any interference.
2018-5-21
Use props
Chaoscontrol
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Damn, I didn't know there were cases like mine.

I was just checking. It went from 0 to 32mph in 9 seconds. The maximum wind that evening was 13mph.

I already submitted the case. If I had known this before, I wouldn't have sold every accessory (full Fly More Combo + extras) I had on eBay last week. >.< Probably wouldn't have bought the Mavic Air either.
2018-5-21
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft
United States

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 2018-5-21 09:49
More and more people signal this fault: they say a weak GPS signal, then switch to ATTI mode (despite 17 satellites), then interference and compass error, and of course the interruption of the connection. At this time, it typically does not hovering and does not come home, but starts at a high speed in an unknown direction.
This looks like a common mistake for Spark. I think a firmware bug. I have already returned V01.00.0701.

This is a common theme with Sparks, but not due to firmware. It's due to lack of a redundant compass.

This is where inexperienced pilots with weak or dropped GPS (ATTI) attempt to RTH or think it's hovering when it's really drifting in the wind. Most cases are not flying away in just some random direction.

It's also important to note that when in ATTI, it's basically in sport mode. Sticks full forward will push the Spark to max speed.

2018-5-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good Day! The best way for us to fix this issue permanently is by getting in touch of our customer support so that we will be able to check on the drone further.
2018-5-22
Use props
Chaoscontrol
lvl.1
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-5-22 07:08
Good Day! The best way for us to fix this issue permanently is by getting in touch of our customer support so that we will be able to check on the drone further.

I already submitted the case and they're investigating.
2018-5-22
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092280 ft
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-21 08:01
Contact Customer Support and Open a Ticket, DJI will help you out.

https://www.dji.com/support

Thanks for this video, good to know. However, what are the steps to export flight data when Spark is lost? I understand how to sync from DJI GO 4 app. to DJI portal but that only shows the flight path and a few other parameters, not as detailed as in above log. Thank you!
2018-5-22
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

fans812df717 Posted at 2018-5-22 08:35
Thanks for this video, good to know. However, what are the steps to export flight data when Spark is lost? I understand how to sync from DJI GO 4 app. to DJI portal but that only shows the flight path and a few other parameters, not as detailed as in above log. Thank you!

Here you go Sir -

2018-5-22
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-22 08:45
Here you go Sir -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEHdAlAh9A

Thank you DMX! Let me try again. My Spark is LOST! I cannot connect it to the computer because it's gone and so is memory card on Spark..... How else can I get a detailed flight log? Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!
2018-5-23
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Check if this helps brother -

2018-5-23
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604495 ft
United States

On the front page of the DJIgo4 app in the setting / options tab on the top right corner of the screen, tap it and go to "Find My Drone".  It will give you the last location it recorded a position from.  Its about as accurate as a 40 foot circle so it's not exactly dead on but it's another point to reference.  Also not sure how how accurate it would be if it was having compass/GPS errors.  But it's worth a look.
2018-5-23
Use props
Chaoscontrol
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I got help by DJI and they will give me a new spark as replacement. Didn't expect it!
2018-5-25
Use props
Antipaxi
lvl.4

Romania

Chaoscontrol Posted at 2018-5-25 08:50
I got help by DJI and they will give me a new spark as replacement.  Didn't expect it!

Congrats on the good news!
2018-5-25
Use props
landude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 126407 ft

United States

Great new on the spark.
Question for the pros, why does the home distance seem so low?
2018-5-25
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-23 14:53
Check if this helps brother -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkZryX93Kl8

Thanks again for your efforts, DMX!
It does not entirely answer my question which is:

At the beginning of this blog, CHAOSCONTROL has a link to his actual flight log that is very detailed and goes beyond the video that you have submitted.

The question is as to how was his flight log created and copied into here if the SPARK he was flying was lost? He could not have downloaded anything from his copter to DJI Assist. Can anyone answer this please? Thanks!
2018-5-26
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

fans812df717 Posted at 2018-5-26 04:32
Thanks again for your efforts, DMX!
It does not entirely answer my question which is:

From the DJI GO4 App find the Flight Log.

Then Upload it to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

It will show that Data you want.
2018-5-26
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

Good news, happy for you

On the other hand it is DJI addmitting that their product is indeed not flawless... Wondering why some claims are rejected while others accepted.
2018-5-26
Use props
rolypolyman
lvl.1
United States

Did we ever figure out what caused this?  I went through OP's flight log and am seeing a "Weak GPS signal" error right after liftoff (which it continued to give off during the flight) and a "Yaw Error" that popped up right after the initial climb to 80 ft, followed by a "Compass Error".  Then after a minute it switched over to ATTI.  Then OP was continuing to hover around his house for another 60 seconds, at which point it started getting carried off to the east.  

It seems like there was plenty of time to react to the errors and get the drone down.  Not trying to second-guess OP but rather I'm trying to find indicators that a flyaway is about to happen.  

Did someone say up above this was V01.00.0701 firmware?  Does the latest firmware fix the flyaway problems?
2018-5-27
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-26 08:18

I am lost.... I am in DJI GO4, tap the flight log.....now I am on screen where I can see the specific flight with rudimentary info. How do I upload from here? Lower right button gets me to page where it says “share this flight” and “Save”. I have no option to upload from here, what gives? “Share this flight” is darkened out, nothing happens when I tap.........very frustrating....
2018-5-30
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-26 08:18

DMX, you are a genius! I figured it out! Thanks a million!
2018-5-31
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3

fans812df717 Posted at 2018-5-31 04:37
DMX, you are a genius! I figured it out! Thanks a million!

Here is my flight log where I sunk my Spark into the Atlantic...... I think this product has serious flaws hearing what others are saying and experiencing. I will also upload a prior flight with similar problem, but I could recover and land safely. Stay tuned.

http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/X53SVNPW59UUHKCADDKW/#

Let me know what you think.
2018-5-31
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

0m 7.9s        Sport        10satellites        26.9ft        N/A        8.4mph        4.5ft        96%        11.818V        3.982V        3.936V        3.9V        0.082V         <-------- Start gaining speed in Sports Mode, Vision Sensors turn off

2m 30.4s        ATTI        15satellites        130.2ft        N/A        1.1mph        1,760.6ft        80%        11.462V        3.835V        3.829V        3.798V        0.037V        Speed Error  <-------- From 2m30 you went into ATTI

3m 25.8s        ATTI        15satellites        120.1ft        N/A        0mph        2,045.9ft        74%        11.438V        3.827V        3.825V        3.786V        0.041V        Yaw Error <---------- Still in ATTI Mode after Approx 1min from when ATTI was Triggered

Now you lose contact with Remote + Phone for 2mins 26seconds

5m 52.3s        Auto Landing        16satellites        3.0ft        4.9ft        0mph        2,651.3ft        74%        11.438V        3.827V        3.825V        3.786V        0.041V        Downlink Restored (after 2m 26.5s); Yaw Error <-------- VERY LOW ALTITUDE ! ! !

5m 52.4s        Auto Landing        16satellites        3.0ft        4.9ft        0mph        2,651.8ft        74%        11.438V        3.827V        3.825V        3.786V        0.041V        Yaw Error <----------- Last Contact and Crash in the Sea
2018-5-31
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

The Problem here seems to be ATTI Mode again, you where 1760.6ft away (536m) and you most Problably Lost - VLOS (Line of Sight) then you lost connection at 3m25.8s which was the FATAL BLOW.

The Spark was starting to Decent Slowly and kept moving away in ATTI Mode from 2m30 to 3m25 <------- When in ATTI Mode try to bring it back or move it away from the Sea.
I wont risk be in ATTI Mode especially on the Sea (Water).

Connection is then Lost at 3m25.

It is NOW 2,651ft away now as it probably Drifted with Wind and your Yaw Movements didn't Help Much as you where pressing down so you where slowly lowering the Altitude without Knowing it as you COULDN'T SEE IT.....

The Spark regained connection at last moment with your Remote - 5m52.3s - where it was under 1m of height on the Sea. Most probably then it Autolanded as it kept on losing Altitude.

Remember also that in ATTI it wont Autobrake so it keeps on Drifting. If you had it in line of sight maybe you can fly it home, but when you Lost Connection and could see it that was the END ! You couldn't control it any more as you couldn't see any Video on your Phone.

Keeping it in VLOS may have saved it, and maybe you could move it to the Shore / Land to land it.

Here is a Video about ATTI Mode - The Spark loses GPS and cannot hold position, so it can drift away.

2018-5-31
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3

Good video, thanks! This is what I don’t understand: During the time I lost connection, my copter drops from about 110 feet down to 3 feet. I did not use my up or down stick during this time. Since the copter is equipped with a barometer, the relative pressure should keep the Spark more or less at the same elevation it had when GPS was lost. I understand the drifting but altitude differentiation makes no sense. At the time I regained connection I got the following warning: “unsuitable for landing”  “do you want to force landing?” I certainly declined and pushed up control stick to gain altitude, however to no avail. I never authorized landing and battery level at this point was still high. When do speed and yaw errors occur? How can we avoid them?

Now I show you another log with similar issues on a flight a month prior to this: Again, Spark shows yaw errors followed by magnetic interference and switches to ATTI mode. I had a hell of a fight to control copter since it was drifting away due to wind. Eventually it locked up GPS and I was able to land. I believe this product has serious hardware/software flaws and would hope DJI will address these issues. These are not occurrences due to pilot errors and we hear more and more about them the forums. I do not recommend flying over water until solved.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/D7F3A1NP8J8T9Q7FUGW7/
2018-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules