5291 20 2018-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi DJI, could you make the next Spark 249 grams or less?  In Canada any drone under 250 grams are excempt from many of the drone rules.  Let me know your thoughts.
2018-5-22
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604495 ft
United States

249 is too close.  Lets ask for 240 and settle on 245! That was there is no question!  LOL
2018-5-22
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

i think existing battery tech would limit a sub-250g machine to very short flight times.
2018-5-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thank you for rising the request. I don't know if it is possible but will forward to the engineers to notice.
2018-5-22
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

I'm in Canada, too, but the regulations don't bother me too much. I don't feel comfortable flying too far or high in the city and am quite happy to take an outing in the country to fly.

Having said that, I did a lot of practice flying at a couple of parks in the neighbourhood and just found out that it was illegal, thanks to a local regulation. I'd still be practicing if I didn't fly there.
2018-5-22
Use props
djiuser_BoRGsv4Iv3gD
lvl.1

Denmark

Same problem here, there are too many restrictions in Denmark / Europe. We need a drone under 250 grams. I have nothing against fly time to be reduced. Better to change battery often than not fly at all :-(
2018-5-23
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I think the easiest way is that Drone Rules start excempting drones under 500grams.

The Spark is less than half a kilo, Weight – 300grams, and very small. I think the Countries have to fix the Rules, DJI did Miracles and the Impossible to come up with such a Small and Light Piece of Technology.

Countries imply these Rules so that they will have the Excuse to collect money from a New Hidden Tax, Issueing Tickets and Penalties, just like Car Parking Tickets .

You Disobey, You Pay, and the Government makes the Day ! ($ $ $ $ $)

2018-5-23
Use props
Meantux
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26001 ft
Canada

Solestacz Posted at 2018-5-22 14:58
i think existing battery tech would limit a sub-250g machine to very short flight times.

A short flight time is still infinitly better than no flight time at all... Get it?
2018-5-25
Use props
Meantux
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26001 ft
Canada

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-5-22 20:28
I'm in Canada, too, but the regulations don't bother me too much. I don't feel comfortable flying too far or high in the city and am quite happy to take an outing in the country to fly.

Having said that, I did a lot of practice flying at a couple of parks in the neighbourhood and just found out that it was illegal, thanks to a local regulation. I'd still be practicing if I didn't fly there.

I think you need to re-read the proposed rules that are coming soon in Canada
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... -drones-canada.html

As for me I used to do urban aerial photography before the ex-astronaut made his special dronephobic special law... I follow it and now I'm tired of taking aerial pictures of corn fields.

I want a sub-250g drone with a decent camera. I NEED a sub-250g drone with a decent camera.
2018-5-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That would be a USP for the next gen of the Spark for sure.      
2018-5-25
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Just put a higher res camera on the Tello
2018-5-26
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-5-26 00:08
Just put a higher res camera on the Tello

That would work too!
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buy a Tello   
2018-7-2
Use props
mastix
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6659610 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I second that. A spark under 250 gr would be great. Here in Spain also impossible to fly in cities if not under this weight. I don'r care if it only flies 8 minutes. Better to fly a few minutes that no fly at all.
2018-7-18
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Good Idea. Thanks for Sharing.
2018-7-18
Use props
R503B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14672 ft

We just need a better battery solution
2018-7-18
Use props
Marty McFlier
lvl.1

An unregulated Spark can be hacked now: https://forum.dji.com/thread-124730-1-1.html

Many companies will pay a premium for a drone that can autonomously fly way points for 5-10 minutes if it can be operated legally in most countries without pilot certification or registration.  Insurance companies could impose sensible requirements about flight over people and cars with these nano-drones so that many applications could finally be safely accomplished at scale.

Lobby for it: https://www.change.org/p/dji-opt ... get-below-250-grams

2018-7-21
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I think the best idea is that Your Country's Drone Rules are Ammended for Drones under 500grams.

What if you need to add extra attachments to the Spark ?
2018-7-21
Use props
Marty McFlier
lvl.1

United States

The FAA hasn't publicly considered updating Micro UAS (e.g. 500g) regs since April 2016 even though the National Academy of Sciences has recommended they reduce restrictions.  Thousands of people are sustaining serious injuries every year because they still aren't allowed to use a drone on the job.  There are many more illegal operators than legal ones in most countries.  DJI could improve the working conditions for many customers they haven't been able to reach with this small design modification.
2018-7-22
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Solestacz Posted at 2018-5-22 14:58

Just if the weight loss is only in battery weight ;-)
2018-7-22
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Marty McFlier Posted at 2018-7-21 07:18
An unregulated Spark can be hacked now: https://forum.dji.com/thread-124730-1-1.html

Many companies will pay a premium for a drone that can autonomously fly way points for 5-10 minutes if it can be operated legally in most countries without pilot certification or registration.  Insurance companies could impose sensible requirements about flight over people and cars with these nano-drones so that many applications could finally be safely accomplished at scale.

And 3 month after a drone like that hits the market, the law is down to 150 g. or, like in Thailand already:
"All drones with cameras" need to be registered
2018-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules