You guys and gals asked for some moving boat shots.
1607 17 2015-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gunjr
lvl.2

United States

Still practicing.

2015-5-12
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
United States

Awesome! Could've watched that all day

Can I ask about power up and launch?
Was done on boat?
Any problems or tips?

Thanks for sharing
2015-5-12
Use props
gunjr
lvl.2

United States

Everything has been done from the boat. I threw the anchor the first few times out but this was the first day taking off and landing with no anchor. No problems at all except for wind :-)
2015-5-12
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
United States

thanks, I thought I read much earlier this year about the need for the bird to be still during startup and not moving for the sensors / IMU to work.
2015-5-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

cravac Posted at 2015-5-13 09:00
thanks, I thought I read much earlier this year about the need for the bird to be still during start ...

They addressed this a couple of firmware updates ago.  
2015-5-12
Use props
jeremybrooking
lvl.2

New Zealand

Nice boat!
2015-5-12
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

cool footage.thanks.
2015-5-12
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

I guess by now you are pretty comfortable and not scared flying over water? LOL I am still trying to get to that point
2015-5-12
Use props
gunjr
lvl.2

United States

I actually prefer to be over water. There are minimal obstructions and great signal strength.
2015-5-13
Use props
wattsnb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656444 ft
United Kingdom

Nice.  Very nice.  Here's something I threw together chasing some ribs in Cardiff Bay, wales, UK

2015-5-13
Use props
averbouwens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

Thanks, I really enjoyed the clip.  It is so amazing how DJI has changed the way the world looks!
2015-5-13
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

Great stuff folks. I caught an amazing shot of a motor yacht off the coast of Southern California, but in my haste to review the footage I powered down the bird while still recording and corrupted the .mov file. Tried to recover it but was unsuccessful.  Lesson learned there let me tell you!
2015-5-13
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-13 11:37
They addressed this a couple of firmware updates ago.

Thanks Jim
For everything you do on this forum & youtube
2015-5-13
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

cravac Posted at 2015-5-14 08:54
Thanks Jim
For everything you do on this forum & youtube

My pleasure, loving aerial filming!   Something I've wanted to do all my life so this is exciting!   
2015-5-13
Use props
miketeel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184567 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, gunjr. Picked up some shot tips but really would like help (tips) for taking off and landing on moving landing pad like a boat. I've flown over water enough and actually prefer flight over water now but still scared about take off and landing on boat.
2015-5-14
Use props
gunjr
lvl.2

United States

miketeel Posted at 2015-5-15 11:50
Thanks, gunjr. Picked up some shot tips but really would like help (tips) for taking off and landing ...

Hmmm....Tips. Start with the boat anchored with limited wind. Take off quickly and get away from the vessel. When landing, take your time and when you are directly over your landing (roughly 6-12in), drop it fast and throttle off. Once you have mastered the anchored approach, move on to the unanchored landing. Be sure the current is low along with the wind of course. Also have a bail-out plan if you can't land back on the boat. I usually look for a nice piece of land or a big dock where I can drop the bird if I need to emergency land. Here are some other videos...

2015-5-15
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Great stuff gunjr

curious as to which is the best mode to fly in if launching from a boat - atti or gps.

I have an upcoming shoot off a large boat far from shore. My concern is performing a compass cal out there on a metal boat. Any suggestions and experiences with this would be appreciated
2015-5-15
Use props
gunjr
lvl.2

United States

Wolfman Posted at 2015-5-16 08:48
Great stuff gunjr

curious as to which is the best mode to fly in if launching from a boat - atti or ...

I've been flying with Atti mode and usually calibrate on the dock before I head out.
2015-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules