Lost my Air in Thailand being reckless on a boat..
1338 20 2018-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o

2018-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Risk it for a biscuit, it doesn’t look like you even got the biscuit. That’s tough but apart from the video of the failure, an expensive boat trip.
2018-5-23
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 392795 ft

Bummer man...
2018-5-23
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft

After I went and found it for you last time in NOLA!! Man, what are you like??

2018-5-23
Use props
hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-23 11:21
Risk it for a biscuit, it doesn’t look like you even got the biscuit. That’s tough but apart from the video of the failure, an expensive boat trip.

Lol right. I seem to be really good at documenting my fails. That's for sure
2018-5-23
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sorry you had to go through this. Hard lesson to learn, right.

Honest opinion..... DJI all the way, get another Mavic Air. Consider this a lesson fella, we all make mistakes, don't make another mistake and not get a DJI drone. They are world leaders for a reason. Just my opinion of course.
2018-5-23
Use props
M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-23 11:57
Sorry you had to go through this. Hard lesson to learn, right.

Honest opinion..... DJI all the way, get another Mavic Air. Consider this a lesson fella, we all make mistakes, don't make another mistake and not get a DJI drone. They are world leaders for a reason. Just my opinion of course.

You got that right. My luck has ran it's course. I do plan to at least get another Air. I really liked the portability of it and it takes amazing video for the size.
2018-5-23
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Though you didn't get that awesome Thai vlog, you ended up making a great video. You have such a talent for producing great and engaging videos. The way you edited this together was tremendous. This was probably more entertaining for the drone pilot than your original plans for a video would have been. I think your plan to fly the drone into yourself could have worked. Either that, or just ask the captain to stop the boat so you can recover (and buy drinks for everyone!).

Thanks for sharing. Keep going for that biscuit.
2018-5-23
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

@photomeike Posted at 2018-5-23 11:59
You got that right. My luck has ran it's course. I do plan to at least get another Air. I really liked the portability of it and it takes amazing video for the size.

Good man, you know it's the right move. You'll be back in the air in no time posting videos and vlogs and this episode will just be a sour taste in the mouth. Look forward to seeing your next successful flight with a positive outcome. Best of luck and keep us informed.
2018-5-23
Use props
Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-5-23 12:03
Though you didn't get that awesome Thai vlog, you ended up making a great video. You have such a talent for producing great and engaging videos. The way you edited this together was tremendous. This was probably more entertaining for the drone pilot than your original plans for a video would have been. I think your plan to fly the drone into yourself could have worked. Either that, or just ask the captain to stop the boat so you can recover (and buy drinks for everyone!).

Thanks for sharing. Keep going for that biscuit.

Hahaha Right. I just watched a video that a guy posted here with clips he took in SE Asia. And its sooo beautiful. I have to go back there because the landscape there is gorgeous. This screw up was so well documented you would have thought i planned this all out. I would much rather have my drone than a good story though. LOL *looks down in despair*
2018-5-23
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Oh man very sorry to hear.  
2018-5-23
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I am very sorry for your loss but fail to understand what all this has to do with the Autel Evo. In my view nothing at all. And a bit less "MeTube" in exchange to real footage will not do harm either ;-) But thank you for your post.
2018-5-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Alas, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  In grand scheme of things, not that serious.  It's not like you augered in Mars probe or lost a Nuke.
2018-5-23
Use props
Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-23 12:40
I am very sorry for your loss but fail to understand what all this has to do with the Autel Evo. In my view nothing at all. And a bit less "MeTube" in exchange to real footage will not do harm either ;-) But thank you for your post.

I never said anything about Autel besides if I should buy one or not... A simple question being as now I'm not in a rush to get another drone so now I can actually wait. Unlike before when i needed to buy something before the trip.
2018-5-23
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

I get your stress trying to land it. Instead of taking the hit next time, I think it is better to disable the sensors, flip the drone so you have it looking backwards (so it is easier to map the sticks to the movement of the drone) and grab the body
2018-5-23
Use props
eried Posted at 2018-5-23 13:29
I get your stress trying to land it. Instead of taking the hit next time, I think it is better to disable the sensors, flip the drone so you have it looking backwards (so it is easier to map the sticks to the movement of the drone) and grab the body https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5IydJi_p0

Oh geez. Even that was intense. LOL I doubt I'll try that again unless the boat is no longer moving when I try to land.
2018-5-23
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

sux, better get a platinum next time.
2018-5-23
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Sorry to hear you lost your MA.
Hopefully you will get a replacement soon and get back to flying.
Fly safe.

2018-5-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry for your lost, mate. Hand catching Mavic Air is not suggested since it could be dangerous. Besides, I would also not recommend flying the drone in a moving boat in normal cases, keep flying safely.
2018-5-23
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

Shewie. The controller sticks are not connected to an excavator. Gentle man gentle.  Get it lined up (like the reverse idea) then match the speed then bring it forward slightly faster than the boat. Sorry dude.
2018-5-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad to see....
2018-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now