P3P Pano Image
1648 19 2015-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dhills
lvl.2

United States

Second day with my P3P, to bad its been raining and windy since I got it here in Austin. The rain stopped for a little today, so when on my way to the supermarket I took it out with this destination in mind. I was really amazed at how steady the footage was with the strong winds. In the video footage I can see the trees blowing but the video capture is still.

Here is a pano shot, I did a screen grab of about four images and created the pano all in Lightroom cc.
Mueller_Developement_Pano_web.jpg
Mueller_Developement_Pano_web.jpg
2015-5-12
Use props
joanenricc
lvl.2

Spain

Looks great!!!
2015-5-13
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Nice work. Why did you use screen grabs rather than images?
2015-5-13
Use props
dhills
lvl.2

United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-5-13 18:41
Nice work. Why did you use screen grabs rather than images?

For some reason the my images don't look as sharp and clean as the video footage. I'm a professional photographer, but for now I am going to chalk it up to user error. I will do more testing and try for better results.

Also when I am shooting video and take a picture, it changes itself to camera mode and stops shooting video. I have seen online where people state that they are able to take still images without interrupting the video capture.  
2015-5-13
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Wow, you must have SOME screen capture program. I am also a pro stills photographer, and my stills are considerably better than any screen grabs I get.
2015-5-13
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

dhills Posted at 2015-5-13 19:20
For some reason the my images don't look as sharp and clean as the video footage. I'm a profession ...

I'm also very disappointed with images quality (even the DNG files) compared to the video quality.
I have better quality with my iPhone !
2015-5-13
Use props
joanenricc
lvl.2

Spain

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-13 20:19
I'm also very disappointed with images quality (even the DNG files) compared to the video quality. ...

I think you're not the only one... that was first thing I noticed... stills are far, far away from the video quality... it's a shame...

On the other hand, video quality is sublime...
2015-5-13
Use props
meolsen
lvl.1

United States

joanenricc@yaho Posted at 2015-5-13 20:56
I think you're not the only one... that was first thing I noticed... stills are far, far away from ...

This is an AEB 3 shot bracketed photo, then HDR in photoshop.  It looks good to me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysbcs0 ... Star%20HDR.jpg?dl=0
Gold Star HDR.jpg
2015-5-13
Use props
superdodoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118422 ft
United States

Nice. is this a 4K screen grab. I bought the advance knowing that DNG is better than screen grab, otherwise will get the P3 Professional.
2015-5-13
Use props
dhills
lvl.2

United States

meolsen@yahoo.c Posted at 2015-5-13 21:12
This is an AEB 3 shot bracketed photo, then HDR in photoshop.  It looks good to me.
https://www.dro ...

Thats a great capture and the clarity is there. I will have experiment more, I have been going out daily doing 4k video and just using screen grabs.
2015-5-13
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Great shot - I gotta try that.  Next time grab enough for 360 deg.
2015-5-13
Use props
meolsen
lvl.1

United States

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-5-14 05:58
Great shot - I gotta try that.  Next time grab enough for 360 deg.

I will try that, I hadn't really thought about vertical and horizontal panoramas because, well, I have always lived on the ground! ;)
2015-5-13
Use props
Rothgarr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

I think panoramic shots could be a nice built-in picture type feature. Select it form the app and the Phantom slowly spins to capture 180 degrees or a full 360, sort of like how you turn using an iPhone to make a panorama without having to stitch it together.
2015-5-14
Use props
meolsen
lvl.1

United States

Rothgarr Posted at 2015-5-14 23:47
I think panoramic shots could be a nice built-in picture type feature. Select it form the app and th ...

Here is my 360 try.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qld04p7s0n40ius/HBay%20Pano.jpg?dl=0

2015-5-22
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Okay, I get a sense my question is going to be a "duh".  But what are you referring to when you say screen shot vs. a still?

Thanks!
2015-5-22
Use props
jeff.wyman.mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3194669 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rothgarr Posted at 2015-5-14 23:47
I think panoramic shots could be a nice built-in picture type feature. Select it form the app and th ...

I give that idea a double thumbs up
2015-5-22
Use props
dhills
lvl.2

United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-5-22 23:51
Okay, I get a sense my question is going to be a "duh".  But what are you referring to when you say  ...

When you are viewing your video footage in your editing program, mine happens to be Adobe Premiere. You have the option to take a snap shot of the video frame your looking at, and save that file as a tiff or jpeg.
2015-5-22
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Ahhh, yeah, that was a duh.  Got it.

So basically what everyone's saying is that a screen shot captured from a 4K video frame is actually looking better than the 12MP jpeg (or DNG) photo taken with the PH3 camera, right?

Thanks!
2015-5-22
Use props
dhills
lvl.2

United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-5-23 08:14
Ahhh, yeah, that was a duh.  Got it.

So basically what everyone's saying is that a screen shot capt ...

Well I was in that camp. My dng images were very muddy and soft, I was blown away thinking how are other people getting good images. Today I went out and I changed my camera style settings to log.

I then did my post work in photoshop and the results were great. I added my sharpness and contrast, color adjustments in post.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Very cool!

Using screengrabs from 4K video isn't a bad idea. Thats about 8 megapixel screengrabs anyway, which is very usable

I would have to say though, that to get the full quality possible from the Phantom 3 Professional you should do stills, shot in DNG (preferably in LOG, maybe tweaking saturation and contrast further (I use 0 sharpness, -2 saturation, -2 contrast for the time being) AND shoot in 3 or 5 brackets in order to make HDR Panoramas   

The workflow to do that is quite extensive. But the results will be impressive.

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules