Generally which is better, X5S or X7?
2968 11 2018-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452835 ft
United States

I know there are a ton of variables that could go into this, but generally speaking, in the overall grand picture, which is the better camera, X5S or X7. I get that usually the more expensive the camera, the better camera, ie Sony A6300 vs A6500. Is the X7 $800 better (per list price) than the X5S? Like I said I know there's a ton of variables like intended uses and so on, just wanted to get peoples opinions that have actually used both cameras.
2018-5-24
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think even with the variables of YouTube, if you look and compare footage shot with one to the other, it's pretty visible that the X7 is better overall, at least to my eye. If the difference is $800, I believe it's worth that and more. I don't know if it's the lenses or the sensor or combination of those plus the processor, but maybe DJI is learning and borrowing Hasselblad tech and every new camera is an improvement even at the P3 or Mavic level
2018-5-24
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3

mixchief Posted at 2018-5-24 13:04
I think even with the variables of YouTube, if you look and compare footage shot with one to the other, it's pretty visible that the X7 is better overall, at least to my eye. If the difference is $800, I believe it's worth that and more. I don't know if it's the lenses or the sensor or combination of those plus the processor, but maybe DJI is learning and borrowing Hasselblad tech and every new camera is an improvement even at the P3 or Mavic level

Thanks for your opinion. I agree, I'm sure the X7 is a superior camera. I'm going to be getting a Inspire 2, and I'm trying to decide which route, X5s or X7. I already have an Osmo Pro, so I'm familiar with the X5 line. I'm curious if there are any real differences between X5 and X5S, besides being able to go CinemaDNG or ProRes? The common sense part of me says to go the X5S route for the simple ability to share lenses, and the fact I'm going to be purchasing a Black Magic Cinema Pocket 4K when they come out and since the are Micro 4/3 as well, the lenses can be slapped that route too. I guess I'm trying to weigh out if the X7 is so much more superior it trumps going X5S and be able to cross platform lenses. Then the part of me that wants to get the best and future proof says X7. Boy first world problems huh?
2018-5-24
Use props
Mike9129
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4112812 ft

just like all bigger sensor cameras, keep in mind that most of the money youll be spending on it will be in the lens'

for the X5s, for another 1000 quid you can have a solid range of glass. (stock lens + 12mm + 45mm)
for the x7, that figure jumps to several 1000.

Maybe its not a big issue, but its something thats worth thinking about.
2018-5-24
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3

Mike9129 Posted at 2018-5-24 14:27
just like all bigger sensor cameras, keep in mind that most of the money youll be spending on it will be in the lens'

for the X5s, for another 1000 quid you can have a solid range of glass. (stock lens + 12mm + 45mm)

I totally agree, and being how I already have the Osmo Pro, I can share glass with it. Thanks
2018-5-24
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2018-5-24 17:44
I totally agree, and being how I already have the Osmo Pro, I can share glass with it. Thanks

There is no doubt that for you the more convenient and price wise choice is the X5S, as to as you said before "future proof"? well I'm sure a couple of years ago everyone thought the X5 was "future proof". In the world of electronics there is no such thing. I have an Inspire 1 though I wanted a 2 but the price made no sense at the time,  Outdated bird outdated camera which I replaced for the X5R yet another outdated camera, but guess what, I'm sure in the long run very few people when looking at my videos will say, "hey, that would look so much better if you shot it with an X5S or an X7" The great disadvantage I see with the X7 is the lenses, not in terms of quality, but just the fact that they are only going to work on the X7, that is a bit of a turn off for me. however if money is no object, and you have room for more toys, hey!
2018-5-24
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft

One thing holding me back from the X7 is lack of wide lenses.

The 16mm is the widest available. This is OK when shooting 25P, but when you switch to 50P (which a lot of clients ask for), the X7 and the X5S crop into the sensor. I think it's a 2.1 crop factor..

You can get around this with the X5S by using a 7.5mm / 9mm but with the X7 your stuck with no wide angle.

This would cause a real issue for many of my projects
2018-5-24
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3

mixchief Posted at 2018-5-24 18:55
There is no doubt that for you the more convenient and price wise choice is the X5S, as to as you said before "future proof"? well I'm sure a couple of years ago everyone thought the X5 was "future proof". In the world of electronics there is no such thing. I have an Inspire 1 though I wanted a 2 but the price made no sense at the time,  Outdated bird outdated camera which I replaced for the X5R yet another outdated camera, but guess what, I'm sure in the long run very few people when looking at my videos will say, "hey, that would look so much better if you shot it with an X5S or an X7" The great disadvantage I see with the X7 is the lenses, not in terms of quality, but just the fact that they are only going to work on the X7, that is a bit of a turn off for me. however if money is no object, and you have room for more toys, hey!

I couldn't agree more about cameras changing every year and never being future proof. your right, I highly doubt, especially when uploaded to something like youtube, if anyone could tell. It's not like the X5S is some slouch either. I'm able to get some really nice high quality stuff with my X5, so I can only imagine the X5Sto be better especially CinemaDNG 5.2K and being able to crop in.
2018-5-24
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-5-24 23:35
One thing holding me back from the X7 is lack of wide lenses.

The 16mm is the widest available. This is OK when shooting 25P, but when you switch to 50P (which a lot of clients ask for), the X7 and the X5S crop into the sensor. I think it's a 2.1 crop factor..

That is one of my big concerns too. I'm never a fan of single use stuff, which is what the X7 and it's lenses would be. With that said, if the X7 was vastly superior I could maybe be persuaded, but I don't think that's the case. That's a good point about dropping in at 50fps, that's something I wouldn't have thought about and been disappointed, kind of like when I bought the crystalsky and assumed it would record to one of the two sd card slots from camera, but nope they are just glorified sd card holders in my opinion. That's what I get for assuming and not asking.
2018-5-24
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3754318 ft
  • >>>

I'm not sure the choice is really about whats better, they are different size sensors and so will appeal to different people for different reasons. We went with the X7 mainly because we shoot with Super35 sensors in our ground cameras and wanted the aerial shots to have a very close look and feel to them. The other reason we chose the X7 was due the announcement of ProRes RAW being supported later this month which is a big deal in itself as we edit using FCPX.

And as far as the X7 and it's lenses being single use, my bet is that DJI will likely stick with it's own mount now that they have developed it and use the same lenses or at least the same mount for future high end aerial cameras.
2018-5-25
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Paul Joy Posted at 2018-5-25 05:13
I'm not sure the choice is really about whats better, they are different size sensors and so will appeal to different people for different reasons. We went with the X7 mainly because we shoot with Super35 sensors in our ground cameras and wanted the aerial shots to have a very close look and feel to them. The other reason we chose the X7 was due the announcement of ProRes RAW being supported later this month which is a big deal in itself as we edit using FCPX.

And as far as the X7 and it's lenses being single use, my bet is that DJI will likely stick with it's own mount now that they have developed it and use the same lenses or at least the same mount for future high end aerial cameras.

One can only hope with DJI
2018-5-25
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3

Paul Joy Posted at 2018-5-25 05:13

Those are good points and would make sense going with X7 to match your other cameras. That's kind of what I'm thinking about with mine. I currently use the Osmo Pro - X% but will be getting the Black Magic Cinema Pocket Camera 4k as soon as it's released and since it will be Micro 4/3 I'm thinking the X%S will be the closest match. I do like the idea that DJI may stick with this lens Mount. It would be nice if they stuck with one system through out instead of changing all the time, but I guess that wouldn't be good for business on their end, gotta keep people wanting the next best thing.
2018-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules