1763 20 2018-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans656f0608
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48209 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a little bit of advice. I'll be heading to Las Vegas from the UK this summer to a wedding and I'm wondering if it's pointless to pack the Spark? I  know that flying in the city itself is a no go due to nearby airports and helipads. But are there any opportunuties to fly?

We are going to be heading out to Seven Magic Mountains one day and thought it migh be a good opportnity to get a nice shot of our group, does anyone have any idea if it's at least posible to fly at Seven Magic Mountains?

Many thanks

2018-5-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day, I understand that you will be in Las Vegas this summer and you want to bring your Spark with you. Let me check on this so that I can help you. I"ll be sending you a link https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map this link can help you check if a certain place is good for flying your drone. In addition, please contact your local airport for information on how to pack the drone. Thank you.
2018-5-25
Use props
Nehalp8295
lvl.2

I dont't think so
2018-5-25
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604495 ft
United States

TONS of places to get out and fly in Vegas.  You just have to get outside of the city and stay out of the airport and military airspace.

http://www.vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc ... 115.152&zoom=10

2018-5-25
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

Just checked out the location for Seven Magic Mountains (painted rocks).  You should be clear to fly in the immediate area.  You have an airport 5.7 miles to the south-southwest and a prison that you need to be aware of.  But as long as there are no posted signs at the location prohibiting drone operation you should be good to go.  Just be aware this is a tourist area so be mindful and careful not to fly over people or crowds.  The location you are looking for is Jean, NV.  Now the sticky part, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to register your drone (meaning you) in the US.  How this works if you're not a US Citizen is completely out of my realm.  I've never flown or traveled outside of the US with my drone.   Anyone know how to get legal in the US if you're not from here and traveling?
2018-5-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No idea but if you can fly be sure to post your footage/stills on here      
2018-5-25
Use props
fans656f0608
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JDavidTX Posted at 2018-5-25 11:11
Just checked out the location for Seven Magic Mountains (painted rocks).  You should be clear to fly in the immediate area.  You have an airport 5.7 miles to the south-southwest and a prison that you need to be aware of.  But as long as there are no posted signs at the location prohibiting drone operation you should be good to go.  Just be aware this is a tourist area so be mindful and careful not to fly over people or crowds.  The location you are looking for is Jean, NV.  Now the sticky part, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to register your drone (meaning you) in the US.  How this works if you're not a US Citizen is completely out of my realm.  I've never flown or traveled outside of the US with my drone.   Anyone know how to get legal in the US if you're not from here and traveling?

So that just threw a spanner in the works. Didn't realise that as a visitor from the US I'd have to register the drone. Hardly seems worth it now just for a 20 mins flight at magic mountains.
2018-5-26
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

fans656f0608 Posted at 2018-5-26 02:37
So that just threw a spanner in the works. Didn't realise that as a visitor from the US I'd have to register the drone. Hardly seems worth it now just for a 20 mins flight at magic mountains.

From the last line under the "What you should know" section.
Pics are for non-commercial use only.
http://sevenmagicmountains.com/visit/

You have tons of other places to fly as well if you have time.

Red Rock Canyon with over 10 different areas to video.
B & Q Mountain - I'm sure it is named something else but there is a big B & Q painted on it - watch out for the power lines.
Black Mountain in Henderson.

And yes, you can fly within the city so long as you call McCarran airport as a hobbyist flyer.
They said it was OK for me to fly at the Cactus Garden at Ethel M's Chocolate factory - 4 miles due east of runway 25 L & R
Only thing is I didn't get to video that because the ones that could approve from Ethel M's were on Christmas vacation.

2018-5-26
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

I’d say bring it, do the FAA registration part 336 modeler/hobbies once you get here. It only takes couple minutes and cost $5usd and is good for 3 years.  Post intrigued me so I’ve been Googling and not really finding anything thats says YES/NO.  Just keep seeing it has to be registered.  But did see a few threads that said you can’t or wouldn’t let you register until you’re in the US.  Assuming you’ll be traveling with a laptop or have access to a computer once you get here.  PDF the registration and send it to your phone so you’ll have access to the documents.  Stick a piece of masking tape on the top of your Spark before you leave and pack a Sharpie Marker.  When you get here write the registration number on it and enjoy your vacation.  I think you’ll see once you get here there are a lot of places you’ll want to fly.  When traveling with LIPO batteries you’ll want to make sure there discharged to 50% and I would invest in some LIPO battery bags.  And never check batteries, always keep them with you in your carry on.  Just remember to charge them once you get here and discharge them 50% before you fly home.  
2018-5-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

The Spark is so small and light, especially if you keep it inside the small hard foam case while you're traveling. If you find yourself in areas where it appears drone use is not permitted, then you can always use the Spark as a stand-alone gimbal camera to take really nice pictures. And if the moment presents itself and you find yourself in a position to fly, then you have the opportunity to capture amazing aerial photos and videos, either way it can't hurt to take along the Spark.
2018-5-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

Int'l drone pilots need to Register with the FAA as all U.S. Recreational Pilots do, no different. Anyone who has a mailing address during time of their stay while flying the drone (assuming this would be hotels for most int'l travelers) would provide a U.S. address during the Registration process. The Registration Number simply needs to be located somewhere on the drone (It would also make sense to include the pilot's contact information and permanent mailing address).
2018-5-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

fans656f0608 Posted at 2018-5-26 02:37

Registering your drone with the FAA and labeling it correctly takes minutes, as you can do it online once you arrive and all you need is simply a label with you ready to stick on the drone. There is a one-time cost of $5 that you can pay online using PayPal, Credit Card, etc. The Registration process shouldn't discourage you from flying your drone.
2018-5-26
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

Oh just bring it and have fun.  You’ll wished you would have if you don’t.  Besides we want to see your video and pictures of the painted rocks!
2018-5-26
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

Airport? Prison?
In Jean, NV yes.
But I have zero advisories with AirMap at the Seven Magic Mountains location.
You do know you need to zoom the AirMap to the exact location where you are?
If you do not zoom in, every warning within the section viewed on your smart device will be displayed.
It is not by distance from you that shows up, it is everything on the screen.
Try zooming out and see there are even more advisories.

2018-5-26
Use props
fans656f0608
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Registered the drone today with the FAA and applied a sticker with the reg number onto the Spark body. FAA registration part 336 was really straightforward. I'll also check the location on the map B4UFLY app before I take off.

Thanks for all the advice today guys!
2018-5-26
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.3
United States

I'm sure you're gonna be fine and have fun.  Enjoy the HEAT!  LOL

We'll be waiting for those pics!
2018-5-26
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

fans656f0608 Posted at 2018-5-26 10:38
Registered the drone today with the FAA and applied a sticker with the reg number onto the Spark body. FAA registration part 336 was really straightforward. I'll also check the location on the map B4UFLY app before I take off.

Did you go to Vegas ?
2018-6-18
Use props
WritePaperForme
lvl.1

Ukraine

JDavidTX Posted at 2018-5-25 10:42
TONS of places to get out and fly in Vegas.  You just have to get outside of the city and stay out of the airport and military airspace.

http://www.vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=36.080&lon=-115.152&zoom=10

Thanks for the link, now I'll take a look.
2018-6-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pmshop Posted at 2018-5-26 05:57
From the last line under the "What you should know" section.
Pics are for non-commercial use only.
http://sevenmagicmountains.com/visit/

Excellent footage   
2018-6-19
Use props
fans656f0608
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans656f0608 Posted at 2018-5-26 10:38
Registered the drone today with the FAA and applied a sticker with the reg number onto the Spark body. FAA registration part 336 was really straightforward. I'll also check the location on the map B4UFLY app before I take off.

I did! But sadly the only day we had scheduled to get out of the city was too windy to fly. Launched the Spark, flew a couple of metres up and then quickly landed due to high wind velocity warnings. Shame as I was hoping to get some really nice footage of our group.
2018-6-19
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

fans656f0608 Posted at 2018-6-19 03:25
I did! But sadly the only day we had scheduled to get out of the city was too windy to fly. Launched the Spark, flew a couple of metres up and then quickly landed due to high wind velocity warnings. Shame as I was hoping to get some really nice footage of our group.

Pity, yes High Velocity Winds are a problem, especially going higher, the Wind Gusts can be greater.

Hope you enjoyed your Trip though. Have a Nice Day !
2018-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules