Couple of things bother me
1515 10 2015-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rhutty
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi All,
Still only about 2 hours into this. Tried my first out of sight flight using only FPV on my ipad 2 mini. Flying from a small airstrip in East Yorks (I am one of 12 pilots resident there) so loads of room, no people, and I know who is likely to be flying in or out, so, ideal training ground.

OK, first thing, I am flying standard mode two. When I traverse right or left (using the R/H stick) the camera tilts very disproportionately ie:- it shows a massive tilt from the horizontal, either way you fly. It seems to me that sideways, right stick, tilts the camera first then the aircraft tracks that way. Rather than tracking and the giro maintaining the camera shot level. Even a small input causes massive camera tilt.

Secondly, at the end of this flight I wanted to get a high overhead shot, so I sent the aircraft up to 1000ft (indicated) to get a shot to compare with the many I have taken from my big aircraft (Rans S6) using my Canon 5D3. As I reached 1000 the low battery warning beep started, no problem started a decent immediately, trouble was, I dare not pull the stick right back (the left one) to get a higher rate of decent as I know (and always use) left stick fully back to kill the engines on landing. It took so long to descend, that the "Return to home" warning started its 10 second count down whilst I was still about 50ft up. I landed 2 seconds before it activated but was worried it may kick in and move the aircraft sideways as I was about to touch down.
The real concern was, if I pulled the left stick all the way back to descend quicker, would that cut the motors?

Thanks RayH
2015-5-13
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Great question! I don't have the answer, but I'm certainly going to keep my eyes peeled for whoever does.

While I was reading your narrative, I was thinking "...there's no problem. When I'm landing I'm pulling back on the stick just like you described. But it dawned on me - I'm not pulling all the way back on the "descent" stick, because I want a soft landing. I've yet to fly long enough to have anything other than a "low battery warning" from the Pilot app. I've also not flown very high yet either.

Here's hoping we see the proper answer soon.
2015-5-13
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

You can't shut down the P3 by holding down the descent stick all the way  while in the air. If you could, I would no longer have a functioning P3. However, you can shut it down mid-air if you put the stick in the same position used to start the motors.
2015-5-13
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are flying in FPV camera mode, the camera will tilt left and right as the Phantom 3 moves left and right.  This is intentional and is why it is called First Person View (FPV) mode.

Put the Camera in "Follow" mode and the camera will remain level as the Phantom moves left and right.
2015-5-13
Use props
stewartmcallist
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I wouldn't want to give you the wrong answer because I would hate to be the cause of a pancaked drone...however - before I read in the manual that you could turn off the motors when the craft has landed by pulling all the way down on the left hand stick I'm fairly sure I pulled all the way down the stick to descend without any problem. I tried it in the simulator as well and it didn't cause the propellors to cut. Pushing the two sticks into the corners did cause the blades to stop midair which was expected. That makes me think that the simulator is pretty accurate when it comes to actual drone performance.
2015-5-13
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ditto to what vamp and David wrote. The aircraft has to be on the ground for 3 full seconds with the left stick pulled all the way down for the motors to shut off. I had the same problem with the camera tilt on my P2V+ for a few flights until I discovered I had it set to FPV mode. Once I put it in Follow mode, everything became silky smooth.
2015-5-13
Use props
rhutty
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks guys, got the FPV bit put it follow mode, no more tilt. Did my most daring flight this morning total distance there and back, 10,000ft
As for stick all the way back to descend rapidly to a couple of hundred ft, anyone from DJI willing to back that up. I lack the intestinal fortitude (guts) to try it
2015-5-13
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

rhutty@gmail.co Posted at 2015-5-14 02:47
Thanks guys, got the FPV bit put it follow mode, no more tilt. Did my most daring flight this mornin ...

A question along the same thread. I had a crash from prop wash with my P2, coming down to fast phantom looses lift.  
Will the P3 keep the descent to a slow enough speed to keep this from happening???   
2015-5-15
Use props
jayhocking
New

United States

clkilljoy1@nets Posted at 2015-5-16 00:33
A question along the same thread. I had a crash from prop wash with my P2, coming down to fast pha ...

They fixed the prop wash issue on the P2 (they slowed down the maximum descent speed). On my P2 I would hold the stick all the way down (click it down)  and just let it descend the maximum speed all the time. never had a problem.
2015-5-15
Use props
samrob52
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I can confirm that pulling the left stick full down on descent does not cut off motors.
I've gone from 400ft to 6ft today with the left stick on full down.

According to DJI the P3 must have stopped descending for 3 seconds with the stick on full down for the motors to stop.

I have read from DJI that the descent is limited to 3m per second to stop prop wash issues. Cant remember where I have read this but it was a DJI post I think.
2015-5-15
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

Isn't the craft prone to VRS (Vortex Ring State) if you decend to rapidly? Is the Phantom 3 specially equipped to not allow this to happen. I was taught to always depend at an angle of possible.
2015-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules