Phantom rose 300 feet in the air twice without controll
843 6 2015-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kanolsen
New

Norway

I have a new Phantom 2v3, fully updated. The first flight I calibrated correctly with battery 1 and everything worked perfectly.
I changed into battery 2, and just after lift-off, it rose uncontrollably 300 feet (100m) in the air (according to the app on the cellphone). I managed to lower it almost to the ground, but then it rose again to the same height without any controll, then it hovered there and I am not sure if I had controll over it or not. I then got connection lost on the app, and tried to lower it again. But it did not react, I tried to turn the controller off to activate RTH, but nothing happened. I turned the controll on again, and I am unsure how much controll I had as it started to drift with the wind. Somehow it decreased in height and crashlanded 150 feet (50m) away and broke some propellers and all prop guards.

After that incidence I have become afraid it might happen again.

Have anybody experienced similar?
What is the correct procedure when changing battery? Should I calibrate again or should it just be to continue flying?

Thanks for any help.
Kanolsen
2015-5-13
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It sounds a bit like it's trying to return home, by rising to the RTH height.  do you know what it's set at?  it could have been slowly lowering itself to RTH but it might not have been noticeable at that height.

did you notice how many satellites it was seeing?
2015-5-13
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Sounds like control signal loss and RTH,  did you take a look at the rear LEDs of the Phantom for the error  the Phantom had during that time?
2015-5-13
Use props
moonlightbeamer
lvl.1

Canada

two things you can do:
1. calibrate the compass before next take off, AND make sure you see the quick green flashing LED indicating you registered a new home point before taking off.

2. just to be cautious, get a thin rope/string, say 10 meters, tie it to the leg before your first take off. when you are sure it will not fly away, then land it, remove the rope, and fly freely.
2015-5-13
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

if it was in RTH you need to flip s1 switch from gps to atti and back to gps to regain flight controls

see the video below , go to 2:20 watch rth initiate at landing due to 20% battery. used s1 to save quad from tree tops

in any of the auto control modes like ground station , rth etc the way out is the S1 switch.

I have to thank everyone that has asked and answered that question for months as had I not seen it so often I would not have been as aware what to do.

good luck and have fun flying
2015-5-13
Use props
kanolsen
New

Norway

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-5-14 09:41
if it was in RTH you need to flip s1 switch from gps to atti and back to gps to regain flight contro ...

Thanks for all your help. I was in slight panic mode, so didn't notice any blinking or satelites unfortuntately. I will create a short panic list of what to do if it happends again.
As I understand, I have to flip the S1 switch to regain full controll if it suddenly turns in RTH mode.

Thanks
Kanolsen
2015-5-18
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

sounds to my like you didn't calibrate after battery change and it trigger RTH because the phantom was confused. S1 switch is your best friend. I have had one fly away and it happened the 1 and only time I didn't calibrate the compass  so I always calibrate.
2015-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules