Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DNG Blurry photos
9072 14 2018-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joshroliver
lvl.1
Thailand

Hello everybody,

I have been using my Mavic for a while now. Everything is incredible and I love the ease of use of this drone and I even prefer flying it to a Phantom!

One issue I have consistently had is the Raw photos appear blurry. I take JPEG and Raw photos (in DNG) and when I get them on my computer they are always blurry.
I have been lazy and not bothered editing these but is it because you make them sharp in post production? I just imagined the raw photos would still be much clearer when brought straight into the computer before editing.

Thank you in advance,

Josh.
2018-5-26
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

Can you upload your dng files? I have the same issue i plan to replace whole camera
2018-5-26
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Do you remember to focus (tap to focus) before each shot?
2018-5-26
Use props
Joshroliver
lvl.1
Thailand

FlyDK Posted at 2018-5-26 23:39
Do you remember to focus (tap to focus) before each shot?

Yep. I have it take both JPEG and Raw so when I compare the same photo side by side the JPEG is clear and the DNG is blurry. It confuses me more cause the JPEG is clear.
2018-5-26
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Ok - then don't be lazy my friend. The RAW files isn't worth much before they are processed on a computer with a RAW converter and changed to an RGB format like, TIFF, JPEG or PNG. Try doing this and I assume they'll look just fine. There is no point in taken RAW shots if you don't want to work with them - it's needed.
2018-5-26
Use props
Joshroliver
lvl.1
Thailand

FlyDK Posted at 2018-5-26 23:54
Ok - then don't be lazy my friend. The RAW files isn't worth much before they are processed on a computer with a RAW converter and changed to an RGB format like, TIFF, JPEG or PNG. Try doing this and I assume they'll look just fine. There is no point in taken RAW shots if you don't want to work with them - it's needed.

I am just not too savvy with editing so I am not sure how I would do it but I take it in raw also cause I think I may as well do it while learning to have something I may want to come back to.
Sweet thanks, I'll have a look into this RAW converter and see if that brings them up.
2018-5-27
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Joshroliver Posted at 2018-5-27 00:03
I am just not too savvy with editing so I am not sure how I would do it but I take it in raw also cause I think I may as well do it while learning to have something I may want to come back to.
Sweet thanks, I'll have a look into this RAW converter and see if that brings them up.

Raw files, or DNG files are unprocessed when you load them to your computer, .JPG files go through some "internal" process which means that you add a little bit color, sharpness etc in the "software" in this case DJI's software. (You can choose from many profiles in DJI GO)

However the DNG files should not be that "unsharp" so it still might be some setting that needs adjustment.

Good luck
2018-5-27
Use props
totalitarian
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DNGs contain a low res preview that gets displayed in most photo viewers. You really need to develop the DNG in a raw photo editor to see the true high res version
2018-5-27
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

As others have hinted, RAW is unlikely to be as sharp and good looking as the JPG version.
The purpose of RAW format is to enable skilled image manipulators to do amazing things with the image. Things that cannot be achieved with JPG.
The RAW file will be considerably larger than the JPG file, because all the data from the shot will available to the manipulator. There is no point in capturing RAW if you don't intend to use the file. However, as you have the files now, and if you are serious about photography as a hobby, there might be a time when you learn to manipulate RAW files. You can then have a great time improving your images.
A JPG file is created in the camera from the image data captured from the sensor. Amongst other things, the colour is enhanced to make up for the characteristics of the sensor. It is also sharpened. Sharpening has nothing to do with improving an image blurred by poor focus. It is an optical illusion where the  boundaries between colours are made more distinct. Put very simply.
Finally, the JPG image is compressed. Put simply, every adjacent pixel of similar colour and brightness are deleted. Similar means within a set range, so not identical. This reduces the file size a lot. Once it is gone, you cannot get it back to work on.
I hope this helps.
2018-5-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Reset the camera within the app then reboot the drone and configure your camera settings.
2018-5-27
Use props
Joshroliver
lvl.1
Thailand

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-5-27 03:14
As others have hinted, RAW is unlikely to be as sharp and good looking as the JPG version.
The purpose of RAW format is to enable skilled image manipulators to do amazing things with the image. Things that cannot be achieved with JPG.
The RAW file will be considerably larger than the JPG file, because all the data from the shot will available to the manipulator. There is no point in capturing RAW if you don't intend to use the file. However, as you have the files now, and if you are serious about photography as a hobby, there might be a time when you learn to manipulate RAW files. You can then have a great time improving your images.

Wow, this is not the detailed answer I was looking for but I am very intrigued and it was very interesting to read.
Thank you very much for your help and for furthering my understanding!
2018-5-27
Use props
fans3ac01e1e
New
Flight distance : 2675863 ft
Slovakia

Joshroliver Posted at 2018-5-27 06:05
Wow, this is not the detailed answer I was looking for but I am very intrigued and it was very interesting to read.
Thank you very much for your help and for furthering my understanding!

Did it help? I also think DNG files are too blurry, JPGs are much sharper. I can not make them as sharp neither in Photoshop, Lightroom or Luminar.
2021-4-25
Use props
rar2667
New
Flight distance : 9255 ft
United States

Hi All, I'm new to DJI drones, but have been shooting RAW files on Pentax and Canon DSLRs for years...their RAW files are as sharp as the JPG renderings, so I don't understand why DJI RAW files contain the lack of sharpness.
2021-7-14
Use props
djiuser_oDxUqgH7lHFS
New

United States

Same experience here.  I have been shooting raw images with Canon and GoPro for years and they are always sharper than jpg before manipulating them.  These DNG files lack sharpness that can be improved with editing but this is clearly a software issue with DJI Drones in my opinion.
2023-2-4
Use props
leosilva97
New

Brazil

did you solve? same question in 2024, the jpeg photos is 4000 x 2250 pixels against 950 x 540 of file raw dwg
1-23 18:31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules