12Next >
2396 71 2018-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb5aeb9de
lvl.2
Flight distance : 375210 ft
Czechia

Hi, I am new to the forum, and relatively new to flying - 3 months.  I have been using a Phantom 3 mostly but bought a 4 Pro about a month ago.  I was devastated yesterday afternoon, when after just under 2 minutes flying time, the 4 Pro suddenly disconnected and fell speedily into the sea, a few metres from the shore.   Gone.
I had done a software update yesterday morning and calibrated the IMU as notifications had appeared to advise me to do so.  All was fine.  I flew it after the update and calibration without issue.  So I was completely unprepared for a total disconnection and the result of losing a drone which was only 5 weeks old - just under 2 hours of flying time.

Drone battery was on 94%, cable was relatively new and properly connected to both controller and iphone, battery on remote was fully charged, battery on iphone was about 88%.  It was flying at about 120m, in full sight, and probably less than 200m away from me.

I am baffled as to why this happened.  Would be great to hear whether anyone else has had this issue and how to approach DJI about it.

2018-5-27
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Why don't you post the flight log and let folks have a look.        http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

If the drone was only a few meters from shore could you not recover it ?
2018-5-27
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-27 14:23
If the drone was only a few meters from shore could you not recover it ?

Way too deep unfortunately.
2018-5-27
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-5-27 12:31
Why don't you post the flight log and let folks have a look.        http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

Thanks.  I followed instructions but it has exported from iTunes as a DAT file.  Is there any easy way to convert to TXT file? I use a Mac.
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

If you cant recover the drone then regardless of whats in the flight log dji wont cover the warranty.
They need the drone to run diagnostics on before they will cover any warranty
2018-5-27
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-27 14:35
If you cant recover the drone then regardless of whats in the flight log dji wont cover the warranty.
They need the drone to run diagnostics on before they will cover any warranty

Hmm. That is not good news.  The flight record shows it stopping over the sea rather than over land.  
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Well if you want any chance of getting it covered under warranty you will need to recover the drone. Without it you are looking at a total loss.
Is it safe to dive there?
2018-5-27
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10184 ft
United Kingdom

Islander23 Posted at 2018-5-27 14:38
Hmm. That is not good news.  The flight record shows it stopping over the sea rather than over land.

The usual cause of these symptoms (motors stop/drops out of sky) seems to be a battery disconnect. The controller connection is irrelevant, the drone reacts in the event of disconnection by initiating an automatic Return to Home.

There are way too many examples of this happening and it gets me worried. Clearly, there is an issue with the way batteries are inserted into the drone, and the feedback to the operator about whether the connection is secure and the retaining clips are tight. Owners - new owners mainly but it includes experienced pilots - are failing to insert the battery properly. This is so fundamental it should be impossible by design to take off with an insecure battery. DJI have implemented an additional sensor in new models which is supposed to indicate if a battery is not secure, but what they _should_ have done is redesign the retention mechanism so it actually works.

Right now, even though I'm aware of the situation, I'm looking at implementing some system to ensure it doesn't happen to my P4P. Perhaps an extra rubber strap or something like that.

Anyway, good luck dealing with DJI.
2018-5-27
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-27 14:45
Well if you want any chance of getting it covered under warranty you will need to recover the drone. Without it you are looking at a total loss.
Is it safe to dive there?

I am not sure, it is a rugged bit of exposed coastline.  I will have to enquire locally and see if I can find someone prepared to look for it.  Thanks.
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-5-27 14:53
The usual cause of these symptoms (motors stop/drops out of sky) seems to be a battery disconnect. The controller connection is irrelevant, the drone reacts in the event of disconnection by initiating an automatic Return to Home.

There are way too many examples of this happening and it gets me worried. Clearly, there is an issue with the way batteries are inserted into the drone, and the feedback to the operator about whether the connection is secure and the retaining clips are tight. Owners - new owners mainly but it includes experienced pilots - are failing to insert the battery properly. This is so fundamental it should be impossible by design to take off with an insecure battery. DJI have implemented an additional sensor in new models which is supposed to indicate if a battery is not secure, but what they _should_ have done is redesign the retention mechanism so it actually works.

Quite a few pilots use strong rubber bands in a cross formation that holds the battery in place.
Simple fix and inexpensive
2018-5-27
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

Thanks for that.  I am/was really careful to ensure the battery is/was fully clicked into place.   I couldn't understand why the RTH didn't work.   But I suppose it makes sense that if the battery works loose it will fail.   

Would an extra rubber strap not affect the performance of the drone, regarding weight and balance etc?

My confidence has been really shattered by this, which is why I want to find out what happened.  Looks like I need to find a diver who would be prepared to dive to look for it.  

I read somewhere that it could be the cable or software glitch.   I was looking at the 4 Pro+ thinking it would be better to do away with the cable.
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Islander23 Posted at 2018-5-27 15:03
I am not sure, it is a rugged bit of exposed coastline.  I will have to enquire locally and see if I can find someone prepared to look for it.  Thanks.

You could check out the local dive clubs and offer a reward but if it is buffeted by waves i doubt you will find anyone to dive that close to shore.
But good luck
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Islander23 Posted at 2018-5-27 15:10
Thanks for that.  I am/was really careful to ensure the battery is/was fully clicked into place.   I couldn't understand why the RTH didn't work.   But I suppose it makes sense that if the battery works loose it will fail.   

Would an extra rubber strap not affect the performance of the drone, regarding weight and balance etc?

No it wont be the cable at all
You can completly disconnect your device from the controller the drone will still fly perfectly fine.
2018-5-27
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-27 15:15
No it wont be the cable at all
You can completly disconnect your device from the controller the drone will still fly perfectly fine.

Thanks very much for that.  
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

You can use a strong rubber band go from one motor arm then cross over once then over the other motor arm this will hold the battery in nice and snug even if the battery comes loose the rubber band should have sufficient tension to hold it in place and not disconnect the power to the drone.
It will not affect the flight of the drone in any way at all
2018-5-27
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-27 15:12
You could check out the local dive clubs and offer a reward but if it is buffeted by waves i doubt you will find anyone to dive that close to shore.
But good luck

Thank you! I will try and find someone to look for it.  The weather is fairly calm just now.
2018-5-27
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-27 15:08
Quite a few pilots use strong rubber bands in a cross formation that holds the battery in place.
Simple fix and inexpensive

Thanks for that tip.  If I get another one...
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Islander23 Posted at 2018-5-27 15:20
Thank you! I will try and find someone to look for it.  The weather is fairly calm just now.

Well i wish you luck.
And hope you can recover it
2018-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Clearly, there is an issue with the way batteries are inserted into the drone, and the feedback to the operator about whether the connection is secure and the retaining clips are tight.
I'd look somewhere else.
The P4 pro has flown safely for 1.5 years without batteries dislodging in flight.
It's unlikely that owners have suddenly stopped inserting batteries properly.
I would suspect that additional measures would make no difference.
2018-5-27
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-27 15:37
Clearly, there is an issue with the way batteries are inserted into the drone, and the feedback to the operator about whether the connection is secure and the retaining clips are tight.
I'd look somewhere else.
The P4 pro has flown safely for 1.5 years without batteries dislodging in flight.

Well it's not a foolproof/secure mechanism is it - or are you saying a physical battery disconnect is unknown and there is some other reason for AC falling out the sky with no power? I know the motor power can be cut mid-flight using the remote. Where else is there to look?
2018-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-5-27 15:45
Well it's not a foolproof/secure mechanism is it - or are you saying a physical battery disconnect is unknown and there is some other reason for AC falling out the sky with no power? I know the motor power can be cut mid-flight using the remote. Where else is there to look?

I would think that batteries coming loose in flight is an extremely rare event (if it happens at all).
I would be surprised if recent production Phantoms and/or batteries have relaxed tolerances that allow the battery to slide out.
I don't think extra mechanical measures would make any improvement.
I would think that looking beyond the hardware would be more appropriate.
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

I tend to agree with lab only real way for batteries to come loose is either by impact or not inserted correctly in the first place.
The mechanical restraint of using rubber band ensures the battery stays in place if not inserted correctly but will not ensure a perfect electrical connection.
As part of my pre flight checks after inserting the battery i always try to pull it back out again.
I perform similar task when fitting the props to make sure they are secure.
Only real way to find out what has happened is by looking at the log file and/or recovering the drone.
2018-5-27
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-5-27 16:35
I tend to agree with lab only real way for batteries to come loose is either by impact or not inserted correctly in the first place.
The mechanical restraint of using rubber band ensures the battery stays in place if not inserted correctly but will not ensure a perfect electrical connection.
As part of my pre flight checks after inserting the battery i always try to pull it back out again.

"not inserted correctly in the first place"...  Exactly so.  I looked/played with mine and found the best way was to press the battery in firm;y using two thumbs. You are rewarded with a loud 'click'. Then a check that it's firm and can't be pulled out.

However, my point is that whilst the vast majority of owners get this right some evidently don't. It takes a surprising amount of pressure to be certain the battery is installed (i.e., not hanging by just one - the upper - retaining clip). Even an experienced owner might not be paying attention and push the battery in with one hand and not realise it's not secure. You can still hear a click when the upper clip engages and not realise the bottom one has not. That's just me playing around with it.

If DJI think it's worth adding a sensor to monitor that battery insertion has been done correctly then clearly they also believe it is an issue worth addressing.
2018-5-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-5-27 16:54
"not inserted correctly in the first place"...  Exactly so.  I looked/played with mine and found the best way was to press the battery in firm;y using two thumbs. You are rewarded with a loud 'click'. Then a check that it's firm and can't be pulled out.

However, my point is that whilst the vast majority of owners get this right some evidently don't. It takes a surprising amount of pressure to be certain the battery is installed (i.e., not hanging by just one - the upper - retaining clip). Even an experienced owner might not be paying attention and push the battery in with one hand and not realise it's not secure. You can still hear a click when the upper clip engages and not realise the bottom one has not. That's just me playing around with it.

Obviously we all agree on the same thing but that will not solve the op's issue.
He will need to check the flight log and recover the drone to accertain the cause of the failure.
He may simply have initiated a csc shutdown mid flight, there is no way of telling what has happened.
2018-5-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am sure there has been cases where DJI has honoured a warranty replacement without the actual aircraft when proven not to be pilot error, you need to initiate a claim and pray, but you deffo need the flight logs

If you found a .dat then you are in the wrong folder i think? check the folders and try again and upload to http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

Follow these but also note that if you find the correct files, you cannot view them as they are encrypted

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... logs-from-itunes.29

PS, see a few of these posts just lately where the P4P has just fell from the skies
2018-5-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-27 19:43
I am sure there has been cases where DJI has honoured a warranty replacement without the actual aircraft when proven not to be pilot error, you need to initiate a claim and pray, but you deffo need the flight logs

If you found a .dat then you are in the wrong folder i think? check the folders and try again and upload to http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

'PS, see a few of these posts just lately where the P4P has just fell from the skies'

Yes, there have been, but no reports of the battery coming out of the aircraft.
2018-5-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-27 19:58
'PS, see a few of these posts just lately where the P4P has just fell from the skies'

Yes, there have been, but no reports of the battery coming out of the aircraft.

True, but would they admit pilot error on a total loss?
2018-5-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

So sorry for your loss. Please kindly start our support and start a case from here: https://www.dji.com/support
If the drone is still under warranty, we'll arrange data analysis to check the exact status and offer you a proper solution. Please let us know if you encounter any difficulties during the progress.
2018-5-28
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-28 00:47
So sorry for your loss. Please kindly start our support and start a case from here: https://www.dji.com/support
If the drone is still under warranty, we'll arrange data analysis to check the exact status and offer you a proper solution. Please let us know if you encounter any difficulties during the progress.

Thanks for that DJI Susan.  I will do that.
2018-5-28
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-27 20:21
True, but would they admit pilot error on a total loss?

Maybe not, but it wouldn't explain why there has been a sudden increase in numbers falling just recently and why they are all recently built ones.  Much more likely that something has changed in the manufacturing process and there is a fault in some of a recent batch.  Could be a change of component or a new worker not soldering battery connections correctly.

I would see what DJI support conclude from the phone logs before trying to find it with divers.  With new aircraft they do sometimes replace them just based on the phone log.  Possibly they might replace it just based on the serial number if they know that a certain batch contained a faulty component.
2018-5-28
Use props
Timinator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3481985 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Would be interested to know if many of these incidents are happening in Sport mode.  I'm also wondering if this could be a firmware code issue that under certain rare circumstances causes a power off situation but that isn't logged.  
2018-5-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-5-28 04:53
Maybe not, but it wouldn't explain why there has been a sudden increase in numbers falling just recently and why they are all recently built ones.  Much more likely that something has changed in the manufacturing process and there is a fault in some of a recent batch.  Could be a change of component or a new worker not soldering battery connections correctly.

I would see what DJI support conclude from the phone logs before trying to find it with divers.  With new aircraft they do sometimes replace them just based on the phone log.  Possibly they might replace it just based on the serial number if they know that a certain batch contained a faulty component.

Perhaps not so much because they are new, more inexperienced with the craft perhaps?

Take this case for instance, (not saying that this is what happened for sure) the guy is used to the p3 then gets to the P4 of which is a different battery fitting (or sommat)  thats just a theory is all, the ill fitting could explain the total loss of power. On the other hand, your idea of a factory defect would also be plausible, this too would need to either lay with the battery or the gubbins's there abouts.

Another explanation of the abrupt end to the  log is perhaps not so much because of the failure but because the craft had not yet sent the final parts of the data that may have narrowed the issue down some, reason i say that is because when i ditched mine, the log didnt show the final part, i.e. the trying to remove the underside of the bridge, the inversion and subsequent swim, the log would have shown a negative altitude right at the end but it never did, even the video was corrupt  (phew ;) big shame i know lol :p )
2018-5-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Timinator Posted at 2018-5-28 05:15
Would be interested to know if many of these incidents are happening in Sport mode.  I'm also wondering if this could be a firmware code issue that under certain rare circumstances causes a power off situation but that isn't logged.

Fairly sure at least 1 was in gps mode
2018-5-28
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Timinator Posted at 2018-5-28 05:15

Most incidents in sports mode are pilot error, most falling from the sky incidents are new aircraft that have never been in sports mode.  In the past it has been more common in beginner mode than sports mode.

If they were caused by a firmware error, DJI would have fixed it, the Phantom series is not new and you only need to fix firmware once.  Most of the fall incidents are just normal flight, nothing unusual happening, recent ones are maybe related to braking/heavy power use.

For most of this year there have been extremely few incidents like this, we seem to have had several recently.  Most likely it is something simple like a new worker not knowing how to solder the connections properly.   It is inevitable that we will see a few issues like this since the factory does not carry out extensive flight tests on every aircraft produced, that is left to the users, often completely inexperienced used flying for the first time.  

So whenever you get a new aircraft, don't carry out the flight tests over the sea!
2018-5-28
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-28 19:41
Perhaps not so much because they are new, more inexperienced with the craft perhaps?

Take this case for instance, (not saying that this is what happened for sure) the guy is used to the p3 then gets to the P4 of which is a different battery fitting (or sommat)  thats just a theory is all, the ill fitting could explain the total loss of power. On the other hand, your idea of a factory defect would also be plausible, this too would need to either lay with the battery or the gubbins's there abouts.

We should expect a couple of seconds of log to be lost, but a lot of falling from the sky incidents are from 120m and you should get most of the fall logged.  Occasionally we see someone loose a propeller or motor, then you can watch the fall in the log and we do see all but the last second or two, but that is very rare on a P4, more common is a loss of communication immediately followed by a fall.

We haven't seen the log for this thread, it might actually show what happened...
2018-5-28
Use props
Shuggie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273599 ft

I had a close one a couple of months ago.  I set the P4P + up for a flight over the sea and on double checking the battery I found I hadn’t pushed the battery all the way home.  It was just held in place by the upper clip so looked fine when looking down at the top of the aircraft.  When I picked it up and turned the aircraft over I could clearly see the bottom clip of the battery was not engaged properly.  Another important lesson learnt and a very close disaster avoided.  Maybe that’s what’s happened in this case.  
2018-5-29
Use props
Islander23
lvl.2
Czechia

Shuggie Posted at 2018-5-29 00:01
I had a close one a couple of months ago.  I set the P4P + up for a flight over the sea and on double checking the battery I found I hadn’t pushed the battery all the way home.  It was just held in place by the upper clip so looked fine when looking down at the top of the aircraft.  When I picked it up and turned the aircraft over I could clearly see the bottom clip of the battery was not engaged properly.  Another important lesson learnt and a very close disaster avoided.  Maybe that’s what’s happened in this case.

You were lucky!  I am not sure if the same thing happened with me, because I could hear the motor noise as it fell.    I will certainly check the batteries before flight when I start flying again though.
2018-5-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Islander23 Posted at 2018-5-29 00:08
You were lucky!  I am not sure if the same thing happened with me, because I could hear the motor noise as it fell.    I will certainly check the batteries before flight when I start flying again though.

If you heard the motors as it fell then it wont be the battery, perhaps blew a prop?
2018-5-29
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-5-29 00:19
If you heard the motors as it fell then it wont be the battery, perhaps blew a prop?

Was it level when it dropped or did it tumble?
2018-5-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules