No general take off orientation bug in latest Firmware Update found!
3985 111 2018-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-5-29 20:20
Hi.  I don't understand what you're referring to with "the preview continues with a huge delay".
And I assume the image processing x ambient lighting comment, related on the VPS sensor's ability to operate effectively?
Sorry - I may just be a little slow today...

In addition to the problems reported, I also started experiencing a huge delay in the preview video (iphone 7S), even the MA being filmed stopped. The video is no longer fluid.

See post # 7 on ( Vid Preview Lag )

I imagine this could be some new camera sensor setup, how the MA processes the image, how it sends to the phone or even DJI GO.
Strange that this delay also occurs with Litchi since the firmw 400
This did not happen in firmw. 0200 and 0300

2018-5-30
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-5-29 20:20
Hi.  I don't understand what you're referring to with "the preview continues with a huge delay".
And I assume the image processing x ambient lighting comment, related on the VPS sensor's ability to operate effectively?
Sorry - I may just be a little slow today...

My Mavic Air has become pretty stable now.  I've run the update probably 3 times.  (maybe 4)
I still suffer with 2 problems.  
1)  The distance that i can get before i get 'Stong aircraft interference' is not consistent.
2)  video lag.

I've talked a lot about the distance problem, so i'll focus on the video lag i'm getting.  Once the craft gets about 500 feet away, the video feed starts to lag or stutter.  It makes it very difficult to control your video shot because your view isn't actually what the craft sees.  so as you try to make moves, you end up turning too far, or adjusting the gimbal height too much, or simply flying past your target.  This makes for A LOT of post production work being done.  and it also means that a lot of the video that is taken is useless.  this was not an issue before the update.  before the update, i had a lot of video that was useless because i was still learning the bird and most of it was pilot error.   But I went and watched my very first video (way back when i had never flown a drone before - you know, 2 months ago) and  it was considerable smoother than the last few flights that I've taken.  I know that my piloting skills have gotten at least a little better, but the video smoothness has decreased.  The difference, is the firmware..  i never saw any video lag prior to the update.  the only time the video gave me any issue was when the controller lost signal.  (and that was upwards of 3000 feet away)
2018-5-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

3-D Posted at 2018-5-30 04:27
My Mavic Air has become pretty stable now.  I've run the update probably 3 times.  (maybe 4)
I still suffer with 2 problems.  
1)  The distance that i can get before i get 'Stong aircraft interference' is not consistent.

Ah, OK - sounds like the same as TZero. I'll have to take my Air back up to see if I have this issue too, but I don't recall on earlier flights.

Just as a perhaps-related side thought, on default settings the Air typically makes very exaggerated responses to stick controls compared to my P4P e.g. when I brake, the little guy really jerks up to do the action, or if I'm panning video it starts and stops with the same exaggerated movement. But you can tune these actions down in the GO app to smooth responses out (under Main Controller Settings/Advanced settings). This isn't anything to do with video lag, but just thought I'd share because you were talking about smoothness in flight (which made me think of that).
2018-5-30
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-5-29 04:29
I discovered something else mate.
When I refreshed the FW before experiencing the glitch on Saturday I used version 1.2.3 on my MacBook... Not knowing that a new version 1.2.4 was released in mid May for IOS... I've just uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of Assistant 2 now.
I did mention that I only refreshed the FW using only the GO4 app via my iPhone yesterday and the glitches disappeared. Perhaps refreshing the FW on the older version of Assistant 2 may be a root cause for some.

A CW, I updated to 0.04 using Assistant 2 v.1.2.3 then I started to have the yaw issues (scary, and I'm an experienced Air and P3P pilot).  I'm I to understand that your issues were fixed by refreshing the firmware using your phone and Go4app?  If so, which Go4 app version are you running.  Might as well use the same one if this is a fix.  Thanks
2018-5-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-5-30 15:44
A CW, I updated to 0.04 using Assistant 2 v.1.2.3 then I started to have the yaw issues (scary, and I'm an experienced Air and P3P pilot).  I'm I to understand that your issues were fixed by refreshing the firmware using your phone and Go4app?  If so, which Go4 app version are you running.  Might as well use the same one if this is a fix.  Thanks

Initially improved using GO4 v.16 on IOS v.11.3.1 using an iPhone 7+ (latest versions) but then I uninstalled Assistant 2 v.1.2.3 and reinstalled it again on my MacBook only to discover a new version 1.2.4... So refreshed again on the new version of Assistant 2 and flew another 4 flights yesterday evening - not a single glitch on all four flights. Note that I also recalibrated everything - VPS/OA sensors on the new version of Assistant 2, Remote Controller, IMU on a dead level surface after the drone had cooled down, gimbal and the compass - the latter at my flight location in an area with no interference. All calibrations went through perfectly and the drone performs even better than before. When updating to v.1.2.4 be sure to agree to all of the sliders that pop up allowing GPS etc Also format the micro SD card in the drone after the update and calibrations have been done.

Take your time with it and let us know if that works for you too. Another issue I had is that looking at my flight records my top air speed was lower than it should be and my pitch would never get past 85% before... Last night I achieved 100% pitch on all flights without putting any real pressure on the RC stick and cruised around at 18-20MPH in p-mode as expected. I think that was due to the RC calibration so it is important you do everything stated above to trouble shoot any root cause. My MA is now perfect - even precision landing was spot on!

2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-30 22:40
Initially improved using GO4 v.16 on IOS v.11.3.1 using an iPhone 7+ (latest versions) but then I uninstalled Assistant 2 v.1.2.3 and reinstalled it again on my MacBook only to discover a new version 1.2.4... So refreshed again on the new version of Assistant 2 and flew another 4 flights yesterday evening - not a single glitch on all four flights. Note that I also recalibrated everything - VPS/OA sensors on the new version of Assistant 2, Remote Controller, IMU on a dead level surface after the drone had cooled down, gimbal and the compass - the latter at my flight location in an area with no interference. All calibrations went through perfectly and the drone performs even better than before. When updating to v.1.2.4 be sure to agree to all of the sliders that pop up allowing GPS etc Also format the micro SD card in the drone after the update and calibrations have been done.

I think that was due to the RC calibration so it is important you do everything stated above to trouble shoot any root cause.

To really get to root cause is going to take several people going to some effort, with patience.
Need to individually try steps you outlined above, taking time to test Mavic Air after each step to see if their problem has gone away or lessened.
Otherwise, it could be anyone of steps or combination of a couple of steps.

Also helpful if some of steps were tried out of order.  Like first trying IMU recalibration, then doing a test flight.  Next trying Compass calibration, followed by another test flight.

Really wish, DJI would re-release the previous firmware version so it could be loaded.  If going back to previous firmware version did not eliminate problem(s); it would point to problem with installation process, and possibly need for one (or more) of steps to be a requirement of upgrading to .400.  

2018-5-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 23:09
I think that was due to the RC calibration so it is important you do everything stated above to trouble shoot any root cause.

To really get to root cause is going to take several people going to some effort, with patience.

It's easier to just do everything in one hit - the drone works perfectly now and that was my only objective. I personally believe the root cause of my yaw glitch on take off was due to my refreshing the FW &/or calibrating my VPS/OA on an out of date version of Assistant 2.
My pitch issue was due to a previously bad RC calibration.
All sorted now.
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-30 23:35
It's easier to just do everything in one hit - the drone works perfectly now and that was my only objective. I personally believe the root cause of my yaw glitch on take off was due to my refreshing the FW &/or calibrating my VPS/OA on an out of date version of Assistant 2.
My pitch issue was due to a previously bad RC calibration.
All sorted now.

It's easier to just do everything in one hit

No argument on that.
I was pointing out that if we really want to get to root cause, especially for future firmware upgrades.  

Then some folks are going to have to try a single step and test approach, and report back as to which steps did not help and which step(s) did help.

From some more reading, I belive your out of date version of Assistant 2 was 1.2.3; which really is not that out of date.

Considering Mavic Air .400 firmware came out two weeks before 1.2.4 version Assistant 2 did, you used a relatively up to date version.

Need to use Assistant 2 version 1.2.4 - could explain why some have had problems and most others not.  Strictly a possibility...
Most people upgraded their Mavic Air to .400 via GO-4 App.

While a small group of people upgraded their Mavic Air to .400 using Assistant 2.

Out of that group, not all upgraded immediately, and they did so with newly released 1.2.4. version of Assistant 2.

The remainder of small group used release 1.2.3 of Assistant 2, and those are people who have been experiencing various problems.

2018-5-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 23:55
It's easier to just do everything in one hit

No argument on that.

V1.2.4 is certainly an indicator. I've noticed Apple has just released a new IOS FW on the iPhone too now - 11.4 - I've just updated to that as improved security etc and my phone is not just dedicated to GO4. I'll see if that impacts in anyway on the drone the next time I fly - probably this weekend now. Fingers crossed it doesn't as I'm getting a little bored with these updates and calibrations now.
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 00:40
V1.2.4 is certainly an indicator. I've noticed Apple has just released a new IOS FW on the iPhone too now - 11.4 - I've just updated to that as improved security etc and my phone is not just dedicated to GO4. I'll see if that impacts in anyway on the drone the next time I fly - probably this weekend now. Fingers crossed it doesn't as I'm getting a little bored with these updates and calibrations now.

Appreciate your efforts and posting about what worked!

Try to have a great weekend despite updates and calibrations!  
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks very much mate. Fingers crossed I don’t have anymore to do! I feel like my head has been calibrated these past few days. It is a nice feeling knowing that it all paid off though given that my drone is in perfect working order once again. iOS 11.4 seems to be fine with the app too. I’ve reinstalled the app just to be safe!
2018-5-31
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 23:55
It's easier to just do everything in one hit

No argument on that.

DJI Assistant was a possible working theory although I had done the firmware update immediately when it came out with the "old" version without problems.
I now have a new working theory. The DJI GO 4 iOS version 4.2.12 was available that time, but not yet the Android version if I recall it correctly. However, the .400 firmware release notes stated clearly that the update needed to be done with DJI GO 4.2.12 or higher.
Thus my new theory is, that a number of Android users might have just installed the firmware update through the previous DJI GO 4 version when prompted without having seen the release notes. At least this is another possibility.

Rel.Notes.FW.400.JPG
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-31 08:25
DJI Assistant was a possible working theory although I had done the firmware update immediately when it came out with the "old" version without problems.
I now have a new working theory. The DJI GO 4 iOS version 4.2.12 was available that time, but not yet the Android version if I recall it correctly. However, the .400 firmware release notes stated clearly that the update needed to be done with DJI GO 4.2.12 or higher.
Thus my new theory is, that a number of Android users might have just installed the firmware update through the previous DJI GO 4 version when prompted without having seen the release notes. At least this is another possibility.

Yes, I saw that note.  Which fits in with mine own theory, (I thought I posted early this morning).

By nature of using GO-4 and GO-4 prompting, most people would update their Mavic Airs to .400 using GO-4.  With all nagging GO-4 does on updates, easy to see how a pilot could click Update without returning home to read release notes.

Small group of people however, would use Assistant 2.

From what is coming forth, part of issue is version 1.2.3 of Assistant 2 seems to have problems upgrading Mavic Air to .400.  Whereas, version 1.2.4 of Assistant 2 does not.
Problem being that 1.2.4 was released two weeks after .400 firmware was released.  Nothing in .400 firmware release notes about needing version 1.2.4. of Assistant 2.

Part of these two groups would not upgrade to .400 firmware immediately.  Thus, they were more likely to be running GO-4 4.2.12 or Assistant 2 1.2.4.

All together this might explain why most people have not had problems with .400, while small group of others have.

Question comes to mind:  Did GO-4 prompting to upgrade to .400 start prior to GO-4 itself being updated to 4.2.12?

2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-31 08:53
Yes, I saw that note.  Which fits in with mine own theory, (I thought I posted early this morning).

By nature of using GO-4 and GO-4 prompting, most people would update their Mavic Airs to .400 using GO-4.  With all nagging GO-4 does on updates, easy to see how a pilot could click Update without returning home to read release notes.

Question comes to mind:  Did GO-4 prompting to upgrade to .400 start prior to GO-4 itself being updated to 4.2.12?
YES. I was prompted to update the firmware before the update to the app was available.    As you said, I updated as soon as the app told me to, and it was done from the DJI Go 4 app and not the assistant.

Then the subsequent reset was done from the assistant v 1.2.3 - this cleared some issues but not all.
The next reset i did was done also done with assistant v 1.2.3, but with the updated 4.2.14 app on the phone.
The next reset was done with the assistant v1.2.4 with the 4.2.16 version of the app on my phone.  (keep in mind, i'm android, not IOS.  4.2.16 was released for Android on 5/21/2018)
This last reset/refresh is what has cleared up most of my problems.

So maybe the releases were just plain out of order, and instructions should have been clearer.

A) don't release the firmware until all of the pieces are in place
B) give clear update instructions:  
    1.) If updating from the App, make sure your app is 4.1.12 for IOS and 4.1.16 for Android.
    2.) If updating from Assistant, make sure your version is v1.2.4
C) own the process.  Don't force the community to just figure it out.

2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-31 09:20
YES. I was prompted to update the firmware before the update to the app was available.    As you said, I updated as soon as the app told me to, and it was done from the DJI Go 4 app and not the assistant.

A1) DJI implements a Firmware / Installer compatibility check.

Something along lines of: All future releases of GO, GO-4, Assistant, Assistant 2 etc.  First check a new field with multiple entries, added to all future Firmware updates as to which Installers are compatible.  With new Field designed to "choke" older Installers so those can not be used.

BTW: Still not sure all of reported .400 problems are going to be resolved by using latest versions of Assistant 2 to reinstall and recalibrate.  A person having problems, tried process; and it didn't work.

Overall the whole Enchilada is buggy.

2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-31 10:13

BTW: Still not sure all of reported .400 problems are going to be resolved by using latest versions of Assistant 2 to reinstall and recalibrate.  A person having problems, tried process; and it didn't work.

And that is why I say something is wrong.  There is obviously something going on for all of the people that have reported it to have a problem.  I'm lucky to have my issues resolved by this repeated refresh.  We'll see what happens as it goes along.  Still hoping for an update from DJI soon.
2018-5-31
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-5-30 22:40
Initially improved using GO4 v.16 on IOS v.11.3.1 using an iPhone 7+ (latest versions) but then I uninstalled Assistant 2 v.1.2.3 and reinstalled it again on my MacBook only to discover a new version 1.2.4... So refreshed again on the new version of Assistant 2 and flew another 4 flights yesterday evening - not a single glitch on all four flights. Note that I also recalibrated everything - VPS/OA sensors on the new version of Assistant 2, Remote Controller, IMU on a dead level surface after the drone had cooled down, gimbal and the compass - the latter at my flight location in an area with no interference. All calibrations went through perfectly and the drone performs even better than before. When updating to v.1.2.4 be sure to agree to all of the sliders that pop up allowing GPS etc Also format the micro SD card in the drone after the update and calibrations have been done.

Thanks so much for the clarification.  I will give this a go and report back to the forum.  Cool and raining here for the next few days so likely won't get a chance to test for a while.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-5-31 11:52
Thanks so much for the clarification.  I will give this a go and report back to the forum.  Cool and raining here for the next few days so likely won't get a chance to test for a while.

No problem. Bottom line - my MA is on FW v.400 and is working perfectly. I hope yours will too after a refresh and few calibrations.
2018-5-31
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

3-D Posted at 2018-5-31 09:20

Please don't be too fast with conclusions.
1. DJI Assistant 1.2.3 in my and many other cases was not the problem. I believe we cannot uphold this theory as root cause.
2. The release notes of the .400 firmware update clearly stated that DJI GO 4 version 4.2.12 or above was required to perform the update via this way. For iOS users it was in place, but at least not for all Android users.
3. As a matter of fact at the time of release of the firmware update each user was in the position to update safely if he had read all the available information. I admit that for new users this was almost impossible to achieve.
4. Things have happened as they did and it has become sufficiently clear now that not the firmware itself is the problem but rather the circumstances in which it was installed for a number of users.
5. I hope that DJI will learn from this process as well and improve the processes of future updates.
6. We should now focus on helping those who are still struggling with problems by recommending firmware refresh with DJI Assistant and if required, also IMU and other calibrations as appropriate.
2018-5-31
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-31 10:13

We have seen much worse situations than this one haven't we? At least I have the feeling that we have narrowed down the possible causes quite a bit already. We'll see...
2018-5-31
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-31 12:16
Please don't be too fast with conclusions.
1. DJI Assistant 1.2.3 in my and many other cases was not the problem. I believe we cannot uphold this theory as root cause.
2. The release notes of the .400 firmware update clearly stated the DJI GO 4 version 4.2.12 or above was required to perform the update via this way. For iOS users it was in place, but at least not for all Android users.

Watchberger, you are correct.  I'm not holding this up as THE solution.  I'm only holding this up as MY solution.  We'll still be grasping at what has caused the problem for each user.
We'll have to keep working with people to try to make it to the land of all the Mavics being free from error.
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-31 12:23
We have seen much worse situations than this one haven't we? At least I have the feeling that we have narrowed down the possible causes quite a bit already. We'll see...

I really hope so, for several reasons.  
One being effected Mavic Air owners can get back to flying vs. doing for free for what some of us get paid big bucks for.  

2018-5-31
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

3-D Posted at 2018-5-31 12:27
Watchberger, you are correct.  I'm not holding this up as THE solution.  I'm only holding this up as MY solution.  We'll still be grasping at what has caused the problem for each user.
We'll have to keep working with people to try to make it to the land of all the Mavics being free from error.

Thank you and I fully agree with you too.
2018-5-31
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-31 12:28
I really hope so, for several reasons.  
One being effected Mavic Air owners can get back to flying vs. doing for free for what some of us get paid big bucks for.

Yes you are right, but I also see that today's technology (not only with drones, you can observe the same with cars and other products) has become so complex, that alpha and beta testing in limited groups of testers can only reveal the most serious bugs while only large scale deployment will reveal all other not so easily discoverable traps.
2018-5-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Well done Wachtberger! Please keep us informed with any firmware issue effects affecting other DJI drones. Thank you.
2018-5-31
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

I’ve noticed that if I give it full upward thrust after takeoff it will do a quick yaw twitch to the left. I’m going to try to duplicate it today.
2018-5-31
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-31 13:33
Well done Wachtberger! Please keep us informed with any firmware issue effects affecting other DJI drones. Thank you.

You are welcome. I only have the Mavic Air to test with.
2018-5-31
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Silly question, how can you re-install (refresh) .400 in the app?
UPDATE: Sorry, found it. For some reason only RC refresh was showing up, not the aircraft. I had to swtch to Wifi (phone only) connection and back to remote again. This time the AC update also showed up...
2018-5-31
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

CemAygun Posted at 2018-5-31 22:52
Silly question, how can you re-install (refresh) .400 in the app?
UPDATE: Sorry, found it. For some reason only RC refresh was showing up, not the aircraft. I had to swtch to Wifi (phone only) connection and back to remote again. This time the AC update also showed up...

Good that you found it. The other option is to do it with DJI Assistant.
2018-6-1
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-1 00:42
Good that you found it. The other option is to do it with DJI Assistant.

I am going to try that one next. I can confirm that my MA seems more solid after firmware refresh only (no extra calibration), especially the yaw. I used to have the drift and the twitch every once in a while. But I have to fly more to be sure.

Yet, for the first time, I got super choppy video feed. Actually it was so bad I could not fly. When I checked the phone videos after landing, I could also see the frequent skips.

I will check my flight log to see what was going on... It was an uninhabited, pure open area (wheat field), and my max height was set to 60m, and max distance to 120m.

Next is the Assistant format. We'll see what happens...

Thanks a lot OP (Wachtberger) and everyone else who has contributed. At least things are falling into perspective now...
2018-6-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

CemAygun Posted at 2018-6-1 04:50
I am going to try that one next. I can confirm that my MA seems more solid after firmware refresh only (no extra calibration), especially the yaw. I used to have the drift and the twitch every once in a while. But I have to fly more to be sure.

Yet, for the first time, I got super choppy video feed. Actually it was so bad I could not fly. When I checked the phone videos after landing, I could also see the frequent skips.

You are welcome and I hope that your MA is back to normal now.
2018-6-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-31 12:42
Yes you are right, but I also see that today's technology (not only with drones, you can observe the same with cars and other products) has become so complex, that alpha and beta testing in limited groups of testers can only reveal the most serious bugs while only large scale deployment will reveal all other not so easily discoverable traps.

but I also see that today's technology (not only with drones, you can  observe the same with cars and other products) has become so complex

Part of what makes it so complex is DJI's policies (same with some other companies).  DJI has never provided us with a way to look at non-propietary information in Flight-Logs or Blackbox.  DJI says nothinng about how there systems interact or how systems function.  Essentially DJI has left us in dark, guessing.  If DJI had provided us with previous version Firmware for Mavic Air, to where it could be re-loaded, this fiasco could have be foreshortened.

As for today's technology being more complex, true.  However, the complexity started nearly two decades ago.  

Complexity entering a pipeline with openings along way, with general public being at end of pipe.

2018-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules