Jerky video
2958 7 2015-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
samrob52
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I'm having touble with stuttering jerky video.

As I understand I should be manually setting the shutterspeed to double the framerate.

If I do this then the image is completly over exposed, even with the ISO set to 100. It's lowest value.

I can see that the exposure value looks too high at the bottom of the manual settings but I have no control over this.

Help.
2015-5-13
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

I also found my first video jerky and stuttering when I panned. I was shooting 1080p60 with default settings. Is there a manual for the pilot app - I can't remember? I swapped out the SD that came with it and put in a SanDisk HC I 10. I haven't flown it yet, but turned it on and recorded hand held video of panning around. There was no jerk in the video. So, whats up? There are so many camera settings. I read that the manual settings only remain active while they are open on screen. It goes back to auto when you close the manual settings box. I need a lot more info on the Pilot app.
2015-5-13
Use props
mjyatess
lvl.1

United Kingdom

This is where it becomes a balancing act. For perfectly cinematic video you need a shutter speed the same or double your frame rate but as you said the image will be over exposed. With increased frame rate you're more likely to encounter jerky video but it shouldn't be TOO bad. Do you have any example footage to show? I'm hoping for an ND filter for the P3 so that we can then lower the shutter speed to eradicate the jerkiness but until then it's a case of trying your best or shooting in slightly darker surroundings.
2015-5-13
Use props
samrob52
lvl.2

United Kingdom

mjyatess Posted at 2015-5-14 00:28
This is where it becomes a balancing act. For perfectly cinematic video you need a shutter speed the ...

Balancing act indeed.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm hopeful some decent ND Filters will be available soon.

I'm just nipping out to shoot video in lower light at the same location I was earlier today. I will upload both versions later to compare.
2015-5-13
Use props
phinchman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120994 ft
Puerto Rico

Well, I don't know, but I found that all my jerky/stuttering went away as soon as I processed the video through a suitable app (and all I have is iMovie, which worked well when I made a "new event").  The simple viewer app didn't work for that, at all.  Just sayin'
2015-5-13
Use props
samrob52
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Wow

Just realised that the stuttering effect was my media player.

Quicktime on a high spec Mac Book Pro.

Installed VLC and also tried playing files through the USB on the TV and everything was very smooth.

still ran some tests in low light with the shutter matching the frame rate and am pretty sure that this makes for a more cinematic feel. just waiting on some ND filters now.

Cheers everyone for the advice.
2015-5-13
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

This video explains the DJI Pilot camera settings:

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-13
Use props
samrob52
lvl.2

United Kingdom

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-14 14:38
This video explains the DJI Pilot camera settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZgiWZqLwo8

Thanks Mike

Watched this through a couple of days ago.

A real help.
2015-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules