SD Card Formatting
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SafetyGuy71
lvl.2

My P4Advanced came with a 16 g sd card in the bird. I want to put a 64g sd card in. Does the SD card format automatically when I turn the bird on and everything boots up, or should I format the card separately prior to installing. Thanks.
2018-5-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

No, the aircraft does not automaticallyu format, that could potentially be disastrous. Insert the card, switch on aircraft, RC unit and phone/tablet. Fire up the Go App and go into camera settings via the menu on the right. You will find an option there to format the card. It is always best to use the setting to format the card, rather than doing it externally.
2018-5-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

There are several ways to format your SD card. You may refer it below:

1) If the SD card is formatted with the DJI GO app, the SD card that is less than or equal to 32GB should be formatted into the FAT32 file system while the SD card that is larger than 32GB should be formatted into the exFAT file system.

2)  If the SD card is formatted on the computer, the SD card that is less than or equal to 32GB should only be formatted into the FAT32 file system. The recommended cluster size is 32KB. The SD card that is larger than 32GB should only be formatted into the exFAT file system. The recommended cluster size is 128KB.

3) When the SD card has been used for a long period of time, its write speed may decrease. In this case, the SD card can be formatted with SD Formatter.
2018-5-28
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can Format it but, it will work without formatting it. Formatting will erase any stored directories.
2018-5-28
Use props
SafetyGuy71
lvl.2

Thank you both for your help. It's a new card. Fly safe
2018-5-28
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-28 15:02
No, the aircraft does not automaticallyu format, that could potentially be disastrous. Insert the card, switch on aircraft, RC unit and phone/tablet. Fire up the Go App and go into camera settings via the menu on the right. You will find an option there to format the card. It is always best to use the setting to format the card, rather than doing it externally.

Geebax -

Today, I found out that the 32 GB SD card had only 10.5 GB available when it ran out of space during flight. Looks like after 1 1/2 years of deleting files from the card, I will have to Format then reinstall AC firmware?

Thanks for your input.

2018-5-30
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-5-28 15:08
There are several ways to format your SD card. You may refer it below:

1) If the SD card is formatted with the DJI GO app, the SD card that is less than or equal to 32GB should be formatted into the FAT32 file system while the SD card that is larger than 32GB should be formatted into the exFAT file system.

DJI Natalia -

Thank you for this info on three ways to Format an SD card. I am leaning toward using the DJI GO app as Geebax suggested; I assume that will assure the proper file system is installed.

2018-5-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kyrvas Posted at 2018-5-30 17:21
Geebax -

Today, I found out that the 32 GB SD card had only 10.5 GB available when it ran out of space during flight. Looks like after 1 1/2 years of deleting files from the card, I will have to Format then reinstall AC firmware?

Looks like after 1 1/2 years of deleting files from the card, I will have to Format then reinstall AC firmware?
Reinstall firmware?
You use an SD card to install firmware on your Phantom and once it's installed on the Phantom, there is no need to keep the file on the SD card, it's job is done.
And you can format in the Phantom or on your computer when you copy the images to your hard drive.
It makes no difference where you format it.
2018-5-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-28 15:53
You can Format it but, it will work without formatting it. Formatting will erase any stored files.

Will it work without Formatting it?

I don't know. Never tried to find out, nor was that option even a consideration.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

kyrvas Posted at 2018-5-30 17:21
Geebax -

Today, I found out that the 32 GB SD card had only 10.5 GB available when it ran out of space during flight. Looks like after 1 1/2 years of deleting files from the card, I will have to Format then reinstall AC firmware?

The aircraft creates a very large number of files on the SD card, many of which are in hidden directories. After a year and a half, it is not surprising that it has filled up. This is why I recommend that after each flight you copy off the movies and photos you want to keep and then re-format the card in the aircraft. Formatting removes all the hidden files.
2018-5-30
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-30 18:05
Will it work without Formatting it?

I dom’t know. Never tried to find out, nor was that option even a consideration.

It will, I have forgotten to format a card many times and it works just fine. If I think of it when new I will format it or if I intentionally want to wipe it I will format it.
2018-5-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-31 01:32
It will, I have forgotten to format a card many times and it works just fine. If I think of it when new I will format it or if I intentionally want to wipe it I will format it.

It’s become habit for me, one not necessary to break.

But it’s good to know. So, why do we format, aside from wiping the card clean?

RedHotPoker
2018-5-31
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-31 09:32
It’s become habit for me, one not necessary to break.

But it’s good to know. So, why do we format, aside from wiping the card clean?

That is it basically, If it is new, not an issue. If it has been used, you format it to remove the directories. If it has been used there is always the possibility of a virus on the card. When you format it you will delete the directory to the virus. There are ways to bring the files forward again except with an IOS system. Apple overwrites the directory before it deletes it.
2018-5-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-31 10:34
That is it basically, If it is new, not an issue. If it has been used, you format it to remove the directories. If it has been used there is always the possibility of a virus on the card. When you format it you will delete the directory to the virus. There are ways to bring the files forward again except with an IOS system. Apple overwrites the directory before it deletes it.

Isn’t Apple Corp. way more proactive about viral infections to our computers and devices?

Well compared to others. Less updates, more security.

RedHotPoker

2018-5-31
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-31 10:42
Isn’t Apple Corp. way more proactive about viral infections to our computers and devices?

Well compared to others. Less updates, more security.

That they are. Every App has to be submitted to Apple for review and approval before it is released. I believe that they insert a code in the program once approved so it will run on an Apple device. I have been using Apple products (there have been many) for the past 20 years and have never had a virus and I don't use any anti virus programs, there are a couple out there now. The didn't exist until the past few years.
2018-5-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-31 11:19
That they are. Every App has to be submitted to Apple for review and approval before it is released. I believe that they insert a code in the program once approved so it will run on an Apple device. I have been using Apple products (there have been many) for the past 20 years and have never had a virus and I don't use any anti virus programs, there are a couple out there now. The didn't exist until the past few years.

I always thought most any Apple device was overated. Until I owned one. Haha

Live and learn. Now, I would love a lovely Apple desktop. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-5-31
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-30 17:44
Looks like after 1 1/2 years of deleting files from the card, I will have to Format then reinstall AC firmware?
Reinstall firmware?
You use an SD card to install firmware on your Phantom and once it's installed on the Phantom, there is no need to keep the file on the SD card, it's job is done.

Are you saying that I don't need the current .bin file on the SD card? And, after formatting the SD card in the AC or computer, I can leave it entirely blank?

2018-5-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

kyrvas Posted at 2018-5-31 16:55
Are you saying that I don't need the current .bin file on the SD card? And, after formatting the SD card in the AC or computer, I can leave it entirely blank?

Once you have updated the aircraft there is no need to keep the .bin file on the card. If you format the card, it will not necessarily be blank, if done in a computer, then yes it will be blank. If done in the aircraft, then is sets up several directories that DJI uses. This is why formatting in the aircraft is the best way. First of all, the aircraft always knows what format it needs, and secondly, it allows it to set the the required directories.
2018-5-31
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-30 19:07
The aircraft creates a very large number of files on the SD card, many of which are in hidden directories. After a year and a half, it is not surprising that it has filled up. This is why I recommend that after each flight you copy off the movies and photos you want to keep and then re-format the card in the aircraft. Formatting removes all the hidden files.

Hidden files . . . that explains it. Following each flight I downloaded the photos and videos and removed DIM and .txt files but never looked into the GB remaining on the card until the last flight msg: SD card full.
2018-5-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kyrvas Posted at 2018-5-31 16:55
Are you saying that I don't need the current .bin file on the SD card? And, after formatting the SD card in the AC or computer, I can leave it entirely blank?

The wording in post #8 was as clear as I could make it.
No point in typing it again.
2018-5-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-31 17:44

That’s what Copy and Paste are for. Haha

Or you could drag and drop it. He

RedHotPoker
2018-5-31
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-31 11:44
I always thought most any Apple device was overated. Until I owned one. Haha

Live and learn. Now, I would love a lovely Apple desktop. ;-)

Once you go MAC, you will never go back. I have had them for years and I use a iMac 27 and MacBook Pro to most. When I took my Part 107 it was on a PC at the Airport. Took me 10 minutes to get going, boy they are difficult. Although I must say that I have had good luck with my Crystal Sky's and they operate using the Android system. I use an iPad mini 4 with Cellular with my Obsidian. The Maps are great with the iPad and Google Maps. Not very good with the new Mapbox Maps on the Crystal Sky.
2018-6-1
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-31 17:44

Thanks - This new knowledge makes my flight life easier.
2018-6-1
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-31 17:14
Once you have updated the aircraft there is no need to keep the .bin file on the card. If you format the card, it will not necessarily be blank, if done in a computer, then yes it will be blank. If done in the aircraft, then is sets up several directories that DJI uses. This is why formatting in the aircraft is the best way. First of all, the aircraft always knows what format it needs, and secondly, it allows it to set the the required directories.

Excellent Geebax - I understand now; and it helps from the technical aspect. I was hoping not to reinstall AC firmware (My thinking being that I might need to then upgrade from my current version 1.8.80 if the install glitched).
2018-6-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-6-1 06:46
Once you go MAC, you will never go back. I have had them for years and I use a iMac 27 and MacBook Pro to most. When I took my Part 107 it was on a PC at the Airport. Took me 10 minutes to get going, boy they are difficult. Although I must say that I have had good luck with my Crystal Sky's and they operate using the Android system. I use an iPad mini 4 with Cellular with my Obsidian. The Maps are great with the iPad and Google Maps. Not very good with the new Mapbox Maps on the Crystal Sky.

I love my iPad Air 2 iOS, Go app, map... ;-)

It’s the bomb... Kaboom.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules