How much risk do you take with your drone?
1121 12 2018-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ldgjGuy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 392795 ft
Netherlands

I'm very curious how other MA pilots think about taking particular risks to take a perfect shot. I consider myself as a some one who tries to reduce the risk during the flight, but of course I love to shoot beautiful videos...

To discuss in this topic:

• How much risk do you take during a flight?
  • Share your stories here :-)

2018-5-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I think biggest risks are going under cover, example low bridge if you lose gps almost impossible to recover. Best way is to carefully fly under the beginning of the Bridge, maybe just 12 inches, then do a reverse and up, finish by reversing footage in post, do similar at other end of bridge but flying forward and out/up, put both together speed up slightly . It will look like you flew straight under and out other side, and risk averted.
2018-5-29
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Some: See at 45 seconds.

Braveness and Faith!!! =)

BTW, that was it Spark

2018-5-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've flown through a tree line 4 foot wide, 80' up and a few hundred feet away. I've also tested APAS flying the drone straight at me - all OK
2018-5-29
Use props
El Kab0ng
Second Officer
Flight distance : 156499 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess 'risk' is a subjective term.  I know some people that are willing to do things with their drones that I would never do.  An example is the guy on YouTube that chases cruise ships that are headed out to open water.  In some of those videos the pilot is MILES from the drone/ship over OPEN WATER.  I'm getting anxious just thinking about it!  That being the case, the riskiest thing I've done with mine is flown out of line of sight on my parents property.  I was at 400' and about a mile and half away before I started getting nervous.  Really, it was just a test to see if I could ever get to 400' without feeling like I need to vomit and to get more flight time without worrying about crashing over someone else's stuff.  If I crashed while it was out of LOS, all I'd have to do is go get it with the 4-wheeler.  Needless to say, I'm a big weenie when I fly, but then again, I don't have many hours of flight time under my belt.
2018-5-29
Use props
El Kab0ng
Second Officer
Flight distance : 156499 ft
  • >>>
United States

El Kab0ng Posted at 2018-5-29 06:17
I guess 'risk' is a subjective term.  I know some people that are willing to do things with their drones that I would never do.  An example is the guy on YouTube that chases cruise ships that are headed out to open water.  In some of those videos the pilot is MILES from the drone/ship over OPEN WATER.  I'm getting anxious just thinking about it!  That being the case, the riskiest thing I've done with mine is flown out of line of sight on my parents property.  I was at 400' and about a mile and half away before I started getting nervous.  Really, it was just a test to see if I could ever get to 400' without feeling like I need to vomit and to get more flight time without worrying about crashing over someone else's stuff.  If I crashed while it was out of LOS, all I'd have to do is go get it with the 4-wheeler.  Needless to say, I'm a big weenie when I fly, but then again, I don't have many hours of flight time under my belt.

Also, just noticed this was directed at the MA crowd, but whatever, we're all friends here.  
2018-5-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-29 03:02
I think biggest risks are going under cover, example low bridge if you lose gps almost impossible to recover. Best way is to carefully fly under the beginning of the Bridge, maybe just 12 inches, then do a reverse and up, finish by reversing footage in post, do similar at other end of bridge but flying forward and out/up, put both together speed up slightly . It will look like you flew straight under and out other side, and risk averted.

That is a brilliant hint, thank you!
2018-5-29
Use props
ldgjGuy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 392795 ft
Netherlands

El Kab0ng Posted at 2018-5-29 06:18
Also, just noticed this was directed at the MA crowd, but whatever, we're all friends here.

Thanks for sharing, and I changed the subject :-)
2018-5-29
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

For me it depends on the view worth to take the risk or not. If something really great or rare to see I willing to take higher risk. But I will avoid any unnecessary risk.

One lesson learn is shooting a canyon on hillside. The landscape is very bad on there without any spot for takeoff and landing. No flat place and all covered by plants. I managed clean out a small area and use my backpack as landing platform. No problem for takeoff but I got trouble on landing. MA refuses come back to the landing spot because trees around. Finally I managed to bring it back and landed with a lot of effort. Not a good landing but no damage. Even not comfortable with the environment I still decided to fly again. This time unexpected things happen as I suddenly disconnected with aircraft. It returned back in front of me but I still unable to reconnect. Then the worst thing happen as MA try to land in to the canyon! The RTH works perfectly and MA detected the home point covered by trees so it try to land few meters away. If it landed in the canyon I won’t be able to take it back! Luckily there is no place for landing and MA hovering there. Finally I restarted RC and connected to MA again and bring it back. I left the place immediately as that’s enough for me.

The lesson learn is worst thing will happen on the worst place. No matter how good the skill you have there are something out of your control. Now I will avoid takeoff on place RTH may not working.
2018-5-29
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Here is the video in case you interested. You can decide is it worth to take the risk.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-144754-1-1.html
2018-5-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Biggest risk I have taken thus far has been installing latest Firmware upgrade - against my vary own advice to others to not be Alpha tester of Beta testers.
2018-5-29
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-29 20:32
Biggest risk I have taken thus far has been installing latest Firmware upgrade - against my vary own advice to others to not be Alpha tester of Beta testers.

LOL.  That's a good one.  
2018-5-29
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I generally don't tend to take risks, I will consider the flying environment prior to taking flight and if anything is flagged as a potential risk I stay grounded. No point becoming a statistic. If a risk presents itself whilst flying I will take avoiding action and mitigate the risk, again for the same reason, I value my drones and the perfect shot will present itself devoid of risk, maybe not that day but it will present itself at some stage and I can wait.
2018-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules