Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Twitchy descent resulting in crash
1493 19 2018-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djchew
lvl.1

Canada

I was flying today. It was a bit windy, but not terrible.
I was using the remote and an iPhone, both over WiFi, not using an OTG cable.

I first noticed the issue when I tested the Rocket QuickShot. When the Spark was coming back down to return to where it started, it started to jerk or possibly ossolate back and forth quickly while desceding. It then langed (gently, but erroneously) into the grass. Unfortunately, the Rocket QuickShot stopped recording before the problem happened.

I cleaned off the pieces of grass and attempted to reproduce. This time I did it with just flying up and down. On the first try, I got it, the issue happened again and the Spark jerked a bit and fell to the grass.
Here is the footage from the Spark's camera for the first try to reproduce:

I tried again, and it happened again.
Here is the footage from the Spark's camera for the second try to reproduce:

I tried to do it a fourth time, this time recording with my phone... but after about 15 attempts the battery reached the Warning level and the Spark said it would return to home.

How did this even happen? Why would the drone drop to the ground like this?
My biggest concern is why didn't the lower sonar keep it from hitting the ground?? This sounds like a firmware bug to me, unless there was something wrong with the Spark to cause it to think it needed to try landing.

I am getting the logs off the Spark and iPhone now. Then I will see if I can find anything useful in them.
2018-5-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear this. I suggest trying to export the flight data and black box data from the drone, upload to Dropbox and paste the link here, please also provide me with the screenshot of the firmware info (General Settings, About). As for now, I suggest that you try to calibrate the IMU and do a test on a concrete floor if it is convenient and see if the issue persists. Look forward to your feedback.
2018-5-29
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Second Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

How you tested the Rocket QuickShot?
2018-5-30
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Hey Buddy,

Try to take off from and land on a Drone Helipad. Couldn't you take off from your hand ?

That Grass / Twigs can cause damage to the Propellers and stress / overheating Motors.

Use one of these Helipads to be Safer, they really cost a few bucks.

2018-5-30
Use props
djchew
lvl.1

Canada

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-30 04:03
Hey Buddy,

Try to take off from and land on a Drone Helipad. Couldn't you take off from your hand ?

I was taking off from the foam case that comes with the Spark.

Landing on it is harder, but I did it. These landings in the video were NOT intended. The software did it on its own.
2018-5-30
Use props
djchew
lvl.1

Canada

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-30 00:56
How you tested the Rocket QuickShot?

I'm not sure what you mean. The first time I saw the issue was when the Spark was returning after a Rocket QuickShot. The next times I saw the issue, I was just flying up and down repeatedly to see if that would cause the issue and it did.
2018-5-30
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

djchew Posted at 2018-5-30 04:38
I was taking off from the foam case that comes with the Spark.
[view_image]

Taking off from the case is much better than from that high grass !

Landing will be very difficult to precisely land on the small Approx 25cm x 25cm case though.

Welldone !

2018-5-30
Use props
djchew
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-5-29 20:34
Sorry to hear this. I suggest trying to export the flight data and black box data from the drone, upload to Dropbox and paste the link here, please also provide me with the screenshot of the firmware info (General Settings, About). As for now, I suggest that you try to calibrate the IMU and do a test on a concrete floor if it is convenient and see if the issue persists. Look forward to your feedback.

I did gather that info yesterday. I grabbed it again now since I'm at work now. It is placed here for you:
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... NovA32JRE5jd49qvmb-
(Dropbox is blocked from my work, but Google Drive works. Let me know if you need it moved to Dropbox)
Let me know if you find anything.

I will try an IMU calibration now and try flying again today.
2018-5-30
Use props
djchew
lvl.1

Canada

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-30 04:41
Taking off from the case is much better than from that high grass !

Landing will be very difficult to precisely land on the small Approx 25cm x 25cm case though.

Worst case, if I cannot find an area with less grass or cannot land on the case due to wind, I can enable Gesture control from the phone and land on my hand.
2018-5-30
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

djchew Posted at 2018-5-30 05:14
Worst case, if I cannot find an area with less grass or cannot land on the case due to wind, I can enable Gesture control from the phone and land on my hand.

I always use Gesture Control to take off and land.
2018-5-30
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

djchew Posted at 2018-5-30 04:40
I'm not sure what you mean. The first time I saw the issue was when the Spark was returning after a Rocket QuickShot. The next times I saw the issue, I was just flying up and down repeatedly to see if that would cause the issue and it did.

What I wanted to know is if you know how to use these intelligent flight modes. For it to work well you have to have a well-defined subject, that stands out, that is not confused with the background. If the sub-subject is no longer recognizable, the intelligent flight mode is canceled.
2018-5-30
Use props
djchew
lvl.1

Canada

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-30 05:28
What I wanted to know is if you know how to use these intelligent flight modes. For it to work well you have to have a well-defined subject, that stands out, that is not confused with the background. If the sub-subject is no longer recognizable, the intelligent flight mode is canceled.

Okay. That was not an issue in this instance. The Rocket QuickShot finished correctly, but the issue happened when it autonomously was descending back to the start point. I then reproduced the descending issue without using a QuickShot, and just flying up and down.
2018-5-30
Use props
Firehawk989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Also check all your props. Remove them and put them back on to make sure they're seated properly. Check them for damage etc. Make sure nothing is loose and that the motors turn smoothly by hand.
2018-5-30
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

run a hoover condition at 3 meter height and post results here.
2018-5-30
Use props
djchew
lvl.1

Canada

S.J Posted at 2018-5-30 11:05
run a hoover condition at 3 meter height and post results here.

What do you mean by hoover condition as 3 meters? Just hover at 3 meters?
That works perfectly. Even when I saw the issue it was only when descending.

FYI, no issues so far after IMU calibration. But I need to get out and fly again a few times to be sure. I am not confident that it is resolved yet.
2018-6-5
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

djchew Posted at 2018-6-5 06:37
What do you mean by hoover condition as 3 meters? Just hover at 3 meters?
That works perfectly. Even when I saw the issue it was only when descending.

yes, just hoover.  this indicates that there is no problem with your spark.
2018-6-5
Use props
djchew
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-5-29 20:34
Sorry to hear this. I suggest trying to export the flight data and black box data from the drone, upload to Dropbox and paste the link here, please also provide me with the screenshot of the firmware info (General Settings, About). As for now, I suggest that you try to calibrate the IMU and do a test on a concrete floor if it is convenient and see if the issue persists. Look forward to your feedback.

Did you ever take a look at the logs?

Well the issue appears to go away but it happened again. This time, over a small river.
I was able to bring it close enough to shore while it was descending but it landed in the water and flipped over (since the props don't stop when this issue happens). Now I do not know if I will be able to use the Spark again, and the logs on it may be lost. I will get the logs off my phone now, but the phone connection over OTG cable have been very glitchy lately.
2018-6-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

djchew Posted at 2018-6-29 10:34
Did you ever take a look at the logs?

Well the issue appears to go away but it happened again. This time, over a small river.

I am terribly sorry to hear this case. I still haven't got the answer from the engineers. I will inform them to speed up.
But as your drone had landed into the water, I won't suggest continuing flying it, please kindly send the drone in for diagnosis directly. If it is a warranty case and within the warranty period, service will be covered by DJI.
Please fill out the online repair request on our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
We will do our best to help this out.
2018-7-1
Use props
djiuser_0kYGR99s7ab2
New
Flight distance : 16385 ft

United States

I have the same issue. If I can get it up in the air, alternative launch method, landing is an issue. Very erratic, lots of bouncing before stopping. Not good
2018-7-1
Use props
QQRUCH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

I had the same problem. I had a disconnection of the RC and when reconnecting I decided to land. Flying at about 20 meters high, activated the automatic landing. Spark descended at a great speed. It hit the ground and the engines stayed on. I turned them off using the emergency stop of the RC joystick. I have not been able to repeat the tests.
2018-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules