MPP - Less than 3 hours / 10 Flights and USB C cable shot?
578 6 2018-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

So on the last couple of flights, I'm noticing that the video on my phone is constanting pixelating, and I'm getting disconnection warnings. At first, I was getting reconnected, so I slowly started my way back.  However, shortly there after, I totally lost connection so I killed the app and restarted quickly - Still no connection.  Thank God the drone was within sight and I was still connected by the controller and visually bring it home. I bring it back, recalibrate everything, restart the phone, controller and MPP, give it another try. Same thing!  So I do a little surfing and find out that the included cables are crap, so I pull out a new Anker USB to USB C cable I have, and walla, solved immediately.

Kind of upsetting to spend $1,500 for a MPP FM combo, and end up with mission critical issues with crappy cables.  Worse, trying to find a quality cable with a 90 degree turn on the USB C end is going to be next to impossible.  

What's the deal here DJI??  Kind of sucks having a drone with close to a 5 KM range that you cannot trust do to inferior components that go haywire after very little use.  No doubt, had I lost the drone due to this, even with the Refresh, it would have been all my fault. Very irritating!

How about outsouring the cables to a quality vendor like Anker so they might actually last more than a couple of hours!
2018-5-29
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Sucks that the cable wasn't up to the task but good you brought the drone back safely.  I had no problem finding a USB C right angle cable on Amazon.  Several to choose from.
2018-5-29
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the reply.  If you can share a link, that folks could review, that would be great.  However, I know it's not a high quality Anker as I just contacted them.

Either way, let's not let DJI off the hook. This is totally unacceptable.  Custom high qualities cables in volume would cost them next to nothing.
2018-5-29
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I had a faulty cable straight out the box as well.  They gladly sent me a new one.  Just open a support case explaining the issue.  I got mine in about two weeks.  At least you have a workaround till it arrives.  No reason to spend more $$ when it is their issue.  
2018-5-29
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

Well yeah, agreed.  I fully expect to keep the heat on, as I've read countless reports on  MavicPilots and other forums of cable issues, so this is just not acceptable on any level. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that folks have been putting up with this. There is no excuse, especially in light of the fact that any fly away as a result of this would be considered pilot error.

However, I now that I've identified the problem, even with a new cable, I now know to keep a quality backup cable handy and to swap it the second I start noticing pixelation and disconnect warnings.

I'm told a DJI developer/tech will be reaching out to me, so I'm going to be particularly interested in what they plan to do to improve these cables.
2018-5-29
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrArcher Posted at 2018-5-29 13:44
Well yeah, agreed.  I fully expect to keep the heat on, as I've read countless reports on  MavicPilots and other forums of cable issues, so this is just not acceptable on any level. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that folks have been putting up with this. There is no excuse, especially in light of the fact that any fly away as a result of this would be considered pilot error.

However, I now that I've identified the problem, even with a new cable, I now know to keep a quality backup cable handy and to swap it the second I start noticing pixelation and disconnect warnings.

You can unplug the cable and you will not get a flyaway.    You are still in full control with the remote.  If you are in some special mode just flick the switch up to sport mode and back or hit the pause button to get out.   

I agree the cables are not that good.   If using a phone I never used the supplied cable, always one that plugs in the back full size USB port.   Always carry a couple with me just in case bending them around in the case causes a problem.   Have found that one that causes screen problems will normally work fine in any other application like backing up the phone to a computer.
2018-5-29
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

DJI cables do seem to be awful. I rapidly replaced mine with one plugged into the bottom USB port and have had no issue since, other than the time the port on my phone was clogged with pocket lint.
2018-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules