POLL - Thumbs or fingers on the sticks
2965 34 2018-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

How do you like to manipulate the sticks on your controller?
Single SelectVote, Total 103 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

67.96% (70)
9.71% (10)
22.33% (23)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-5-29
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Thumbs on for accurate control and hold the RC more stable.
2018-5-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

GDL Posted at 2018-5-29 20:10
Thumbs on for accurate control and hold the RC more stable.

Agreed
2018-5-29
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

When hand holding an RC, it is really only safe to use thumbs so that you maintain a firm hold of the RC.  The use of fingers is done by those people who have an RC that is tray mounted and hangs on a strap from their neck. Only ever seen tray mounts in model aircraft, not drones. And it would only be feasible to use fingers on an RC that has a centre mount to attach a neck strap.
2018-5-29
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Singapore

I want center mount on Mavic RC for neck strap
2018-5-29
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Russia

GDL Posted at 2018-5-29 20:10
Thumbs on for accurate control and hold the RC more stable.

Surely, that was a joke Watch this, at 7:56

2018-5-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Number 3 for me. Mainly thumbs only but if the drone is hovering and I'm lining up a shot in a very confined area then I'll use the index finger too
2018-5-30
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft

Tried fingers around the stalk of the sticks, (after watching that video), but old habits die hard and I soon forgot and reverted to thumbs.
Agree with A CW that thumbs help in holding the transmitter.
2018-5-30
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Canada

Splitting hairs here I know but in the video the guy was actually writing well with 3 fingers not two, like we all do.   Thumb, index, and middle fingers.
The MP, MPP, MA, and Spark have small RC's so it's much easier to hold onto the RC when controlling the sticks with thumbs only.  While I agree using thumb and index finger can be more precise it doesn't help if you are uncomfortable.  Larger Phantom RC's with a neck strap are certainly more conducive to thumb and finger controlling  so probably not a good comparison to the small RC's.
2018-5-30
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

Far_North Posted at 2018-5-30 03:42
Splitting hairs here I know but in the video the guy was actually writing well with 3 fingers not two, like we all do.   Thumb, index, and middle fingers.
The MP, MPP, MA, and Spark have small RC's so it's much easier to hold onto the RC when controlling the sticks with thumbs only.  While I agree using thumb and index finger can be more precise it doesn't help if you are uncomfortable.  Larger Phantom RC's with a neck strap are certainly more conducive to thumb and finger controlling  so probably not a good comparison to the small RC's.

Why would one need more fingers to hold a lighter/more compact Mavic's remote control with the same level of comfort? I'd see the logic here if it was the other way around.
2018-5-30
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Canada

asaw Posted at 2018-5-30 04:51
Why would one need more fingers to hold a lighter/more compact Mavic's remote control with the same level of comfort? I'd see the logic here if it was the other way around.

Try using the Phantom RC with a tablet and no neck strap.   The bottom line here is people will do what they feel most confident and comfortable doing.   I'm sure there are some people who have more precise control over their drone using just thumbs and some that do better using thumb and fingers.  And some that use both depending on the situation.   
The point of the poll was to see which method was most prominent and to promote discussion which is a good thing.   Interesting to see everyone's perspective.  
2018-5-30
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-30 02:41
Number 3 for me. Mainly thumbs only but if the drone is hovering and I'm lining up a shot in a very confined area then I'll use the index finger too

That's where I am as well.   Since I have big hands,  I have a good grip on the controller with my middle, ring,pinky and the heal of my thumb.  That way i can hold the sticks with both thumb and index.  
2018-5-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-5-30 05:11
That's where I am as well.   Since I have big hands,  I have a good grip on the controller with my middle, ring,pinky and the heal of my thumb.  That way i can hold the sticks with both thumb and index.

Yeah, I'm 6' 4" - the Mavic RC's feel like Playstation controllers in my hand
2018-5-30
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-30 05:14

Exactly!   I can hold the Mavic Air in my right hand, and initiate the launch with my left.  Including the slide portion.
2018-5-30
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

I actually had a person walk up to me and tell me I wasn’t holding the controller correctly. I flew the bird in close to drown out his explanation, caught it and walked away. For all I know, he’s still standing there explaining... What is with that portion of the population who believes their way is the only way?

Jeff
2018-5-30
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Having flown 20+ years it is most comfortable to me the way I have always done it.   Tried the thumbs only approach many times but have always found I lacked precision doing it this way.   My hat is off to those that can pull it off and remain very smooth.    To me using the thumb tip and finger tip at the same time makes super small adjustments practical.   I bang the sticks too much thumbs only.   While i don't have big hands, holding the controller is no problem, you just have to get used to it.   I think it boils down to what you are used to.  Everyone should try both ways.   And I mean give it an honest try.   
2018-5-30
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

asaw Posted at 2018-5-30 00:32
Surely, that was a joke  Watch this, at 7:56

I checked his credentials when he declared thumbs on sticks is,...wrong, wrong, wrong.  Turns out his degree in drone operation is fictitious.  He is just an entertainer parroting what European radio control model airplane pilots say.  

Thumbs on those little sticks is,...right, right, right.  Or more accurately, there is no right way.

Spark return 5.gif
2018-5-30
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-5-30 18:42
I checked his credentials when he declared thumbs on sticks is,...wrong, wrong, wrong.  Turns out his degree in drone operation is fictitious.  He is just an entertainer parroting what European radio control model airplane pilots say.  

Thumbs on those little sticks is,...right, right, right.  Or more accurately, there is no right way.

I agree that there is no "right" way and the answer to the question is more faith-based, but his arguments are still valid. Which is supported by the fact that a few years ago about 9 out of 10 top pilots held their RC sticks using thumbs and index fingers just like he recommends.
2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I find sticks on the mavic remotes short and stubby you cannot make them any longer so if you have thick fingers and thumbs its not an option, sticks on phantom RC are much better you can increase and decrease the height the also have a much slimmer profile so no problem with fingers/thumbs.

Im surprised nobody has made different sticks for mavic Air as it already has removable sticks, maybe someone will develop longer slimmer sticks for Mavic Air, unfortunately its not an option for mavic pro.
2018-5-31
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-31 01:37
I find sticks on the mavic remotes short and stubby you cannot make them any longer so if you have thick fingers and thumbs its not an option, sticks on phantom RC are much better you can increase and decrease the height the also have a much slimmer profile so no problem with fingers/thumbs.

Im surprised nobody has made different sticks for mavic Air as it already has removable sticks, maybe someone will develop longer slimmer sticks for Mavic Air, unfortunately its not an option for mavic pro.

I agree wholeheartedly about the Phantom RC. Now that the version 2.0 has Ocusync, it would be a dream come true for me if they would create firmware for the 2.0 plus controller for the Mavic Pro.

Jeff
2018-5-31
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Canada

There are aftermarket sticks out there but I'm not sure if any are longer.

click here -->  Red sticks

2018-5-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Far_North Posted at 2018-5-31 03:46
There are aftermarket sticks out there but I'm not sure if any are longer.

click here -->  Red sticks

I’ve seen those ones, I would like to see ones with adjustable height like we use on the phantom also midriff is much slimmer. Like the colour of those ones.
2018-5-31
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

asaw Posted at 2018-5-30 23:26
I agree that there is no "right" way and the answer to the question is more faith-based, but his arguments are still valid. Which is supported by the fact that a few years ago about 9 out of 10 top pilots held their RC sticks using thumbs and index fingers just like he recommends.

First off his argument is dead in the water because he states that if you use thumbs you will crash.  So since I have seen a pinch pilot crash, then the pinch method is another, "you will crash."  His cause and effect is wacked.

And his dippy marker taped to thumb demo.  Perhaps he has never seen a pro gamer demonstrate eye hand coordination while using a game pad to play Call of Duty.  Thumbs on sticks.

The video's drone expert would be really upset with me because I often don't even have my thumbs on the sticks.  They are instead placed on the face of the controller and the sides of my thumbs leaned in against the sticks.  Allows me to apply very small pressures to get camera movements I need.

2018-5-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

After decades of playing video games, thumbs all the way - I couldn't pull it off as a pincher....LOL
2018-5-31
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

A CW Posted at 2018-5-30 05:14

6'5", 280# and I don't have large hands.  I have MONSTER hands.  and I use just the thumbs for control.  Never a bit of problems with that.  
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I find sticks on the mavic remotes short and stubby you cannot make them any longer so if you have thick fingers and thumbs its not an option, sticks on phantom RC are much better you can increase and decrease the height the also have a much slimmer profile so no problem with fingers/thumbs.

That is so true mate
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brad - Same here - except when one-foot in flight can be the difference between a great shot and sending my drone off to repair... For me, I can control the drone more intricately with index finger and thumb. If simply pushing the pitch, yaw or throttle sticks in an open area then thumb only is fine.
2018-5-31
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 16:21
Brad - Same here - except when one-foot in flight can be the difference between a great shot and sending my drone off to repair... For me, I can control the drone more intricately with index finger and thumb. If simply pushing the pitch, yaw or throttle sticks in an open area then thumb only is fine.

LOL..  each to their own.  I've found that I have a longer range of motion and quicker response using just the thumbs.  The only problem that I've had has been on a long flight out, I can feel my thumbs slipping off the tops occasionally ..  but that's just a quick readjustment.  
2018-6-1
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Thumbs only for me. Use cinematic mode or decrease the sensitive of inputs / responses if that's too jerky.
2018-6-1
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

And why is telepathic not an option?
2018-6-1
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Canada

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-1 16:49

Not quite telepathic but DJI's next drone may be controlled by the mind.

2018-6-1
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Canada

I heard a rumor that DJI is dropping the typical RC in favor of a brain transmitter.  No thumbs required.

2018-6-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-1 16:49

Give it time!
2018-6-1
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Mind control? Can you control your mind? What happen when a petty girl pass by when you flying a drone? Oh no the drone fly directly to the girl just because you look at her.
2018-6-3
Use props
fans77e14924
New
Flight distance : 40043 ft
United States

Depends on what this means. Thumbs are definitely more stable than a single finger. I absolutely hate the controller sticks I would much rather use an Xbox controller because it would feel more comfortable. To get a more stable shot I hold the sticks with my thumb and index finger and use my middle finger to control the camera and iso. I would be terrified to fly a 20k drone with DJIs current remote setup
2020-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules