1080 10 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
inesingeniera
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12818 ft

Argentina

Hi all,
Yesterday I was performing some flighs and after all initialization, when I did my second take off, at 10 meters high, my phantom 4 pro plus was supposed to stay still. Instead, It started flying downward and sideways to the left. I quickly tried to lift it and it did not respond very well. Luckily I was able to bring it back to my right while it was still coming until it eventually crashed onto some wooden pallets. Nobody was hurt thankfully and now I am trying to get to the bottom of it.
I presume it may have been because of three possible causes:
1) Battery
2) Compass and/or IMU
3) Damaged propeller
I am trying to upload the log file but I can't attach it here. The forum says it is too large.
Does anyone know what should I look for in the Flight Data Viewer in the DJI assistant Software?
Thank you very much

Ines

2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. We recommended contacting our support team to start a ticket and send in the drone to DJI official repair center for evaluation and repair service. As long as the drone is still in warranty period, we will provide warranty service if it was not caused by pilot error after data analysis.

You may follow the tutorial to sync your flight records to the DJI server. You can find the tutorial:

2018-5-30
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/          Go to this link, follow the instructions, then come back and post the flight log.
2018-5-30
Use props
inesingeniera
lvl.2

Argentina

Looks like it was a compass error... http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/VB88S4GURM2YRU1LCJPC/
2018-5-30
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Yes it does.  Did you take off in an area close to steel, such as a reinforced concrete driveway, or fence maybe?
2018-5-30
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Just looked at the pic and it appears you took off from a roof!  Not a good idea,  look at all the metal around.
2018-5-30
Use props
inesingeniera
lvl.2

Argentina

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-5-30 08:50
Just looked at the pic and it appears you took off from a roof!  Not a good idea,  look at all the metal around.

I took off from a concrete driveway but not from under a roof. That's product of the gps offset of 5-10 meters.
2018-5-30
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

inesingeniera Posted at 2018-5-30 08:58
I took off from a concrete driveway but not from under a roof. That's product of the gps offset of 5-10 meters.

Concrete is always a bad idea. There is steal inside. The drone probably switched to Atti since it had
readings from GPS and compass that didn't match. In that case it goes into Atti.

2018-5-30
Use props
inesingeniera
lvl.2

Argentina

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-30 11:27
Concrete is always a bad idea. There is steal inside. The drone probably switched to Atti since it had
readings from GPS and compass that didn't match. In that case it goes into Atti.

Shouldn't this Mode switch appear in the log?
2018-5-30
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

inesingeniera Posted at 2018-5-30 11:31
Shouldn't this Mode switch appear in the log?

You are right. It should show. I haven't looked at your log before I replied.
But there is a good chance the compass error was initiated by the concrete.
And compass errors often result in erattic behaviour.
2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

inesingeniera Posted at 2018-5-30 07:45
Looks like it was a compass error... http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/VB88S4GURM2YRU1LCJPC/

It’s almost certain you picked up compass problems on the ground.

Magnetic interference on the ground taking off on ground which contains rebar concrete underground cables, a few things you need to know, what happens to aircraft resulting from taking off in these areas.

I will try to explain.
First if you start up your Aircraft in a safe area, without taking off lift up your Aircraft by hand and rotate 90 degrees, both compass and IMU will follow to this new heading, so no problem this is how it should be.
Taking off from mag interference ground will cause your compass to move it’s heading this does not always show up in your app, so it will still allow you to take off.
Once you take off and get clear of mag interference your compass will then correct itself but the movement made by compass causes confusion in your IMU because it is designed to move with compass.
This you will see reported on your app as IMU exceptional heading compass error, switch to Atti mode, your aircraft cannot cope with conflicting data so it will drop .

Most of above would have occurred in your flight but it ended so quick, your Aircraft would have been impossible to control.
Hopefully damage won’t be to bad and you might be back in the air soon.
2018-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules