T-Motor Carbon Fiber Folding Props - Feedback
2607 25 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft

Hi All.

I'm currently applying glue to my DJI stock props every week and it's just ridiculous! So I'm thinking about using a set of T-Motor folding props..

If anyone has experiance in using them please could you provide some feedback?

One of the things I'm concerened about is if they cause any shaking or vibrations that may damage the motors?

Many thanks,

Rowan

2018-5-30
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use them and won't go back to stock loose wobbly props.
The only shaking is at the very first of startup, until centrifugal force sets them and it is not much at all.
So straighten them out and use CSC to start motors and let idle a few seconds before liftoff. Don't use auto takeoff.
2018-5-30
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

As we suggested on another thread, for carbon fiber non stock propellers in general (Not folding ones specific), it would be nice to post some slow motion videos to evaluate the level of vibrations.We already kind of know that they do vibrate quite a bit on startup, as Aeromirage suggests, but it would be nice to see them at work and after startup.A video we posted, shot by a user, shows non folding propellers that shake the arms quite brutally.
It's hard to see how much they shake if not in slow motion.
So far no one else that we know of posted slow motion videos, but that would be really cool and informative.

2018-5-30
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I wonder if there are any reports of unexplained crash when using folding props?

2018-5-30
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-5-30 08:22
I use them and won't go back to stock loose wobbly props.
The only shaking is at the very first of startup, until centrifugal force sets them and it is not much at all.
So straighten them out and use CSC to start motors and let idle a few seconds before liftoff. Don't use auto takeoff.

In regards to the video that Elektrica posted - Have experienced the same amount of vibration with your T-Motors?

Thanks
2018-5-30
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-5-30 11:30
In regards to the video that Elektrica posted - Have experienced the same amount of vibration with your T-Motors?

Thanks

All I have seen is a very small amount of wobble during the first second or two. Once they are up to normal speed, smooth.
I had a set of Heleingadins and one was not balanced which wobbled all the time. It was replaced and the problem went away.
2018-5-30
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give them a shot in the next week or so.

If you don't me asking - How many hours have you flown with the T-Motors?
2018-5-30
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-5-30 12:03
Thanks for the reply.

I'll give them a shot in the next week or so.

Shoot a video in slow motion, if you can. We cannot seem to get any of those, beside the one that was sent to us privately.
2018-5-31
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4

Will do.

I'm going to wait for a bit more positive feedback until I attach them.

Are there ant other pilots flying these props who can chime in?

Thanks
2018-6-1
Use props
michaelk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6054295 ft
  • >>>

tried both: heli engadin and t-props. the t-props are one step ahead versus heli-engadin.
2018-6-3
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

michaelk Posted at 2018-6-3 01:36
tried both: heli engadin and t-props. the t-props are one step ahead versus heli-engadin.

I used to have heli engadin, but I don't use them anymore. Too much shaking on startup and probably flight as well.
Any chance you can shoot and post a slow motion video of the Inspire 2 like the one above, with the non stock props to see how well balanced they are?
2018-6-3
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4

michaelk Posted at 2018-6-3 01:36
tried both: heli engadin and t-props. the t-props are one step ahead versus heli-engadin.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you still use the T-Motors?

2018-6-3
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4

Elektrica Atellani Posted at 2018-6-3 07:03
I used to have heli engadin, but I don't use them anymore. Too much shaking on startup and probably flight as well.
Any chance you can shoot and post a slow motion video of the Inspire 2 like the one above, with the non stock props to see how well balanced they are?

I see how there could be more vibrations with the folding props but they are used on all the high end drones - S1000,900 etc.

What do you you think?

2018-6-3
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-6-3 08:38
I see how there could be more vibrations with the folding props but they are used on all the high end drones - S1000,900 etc.

What do you you think?

The concern is that they are made for those drones to begin with. The balance of the weight of the whole prop is important. We will be dealing with that soon as well with our own props with the fixed mount. We should get them in 3 materials this coming week. Mind me, we made them in conjunction with the University of Pisa and they have a supercomputer (Literally) to create profiles, etc. for aerospace, but we're still going to test them with a grain of salt. We'll keep you posted. Props a re a complex business, or so it seems. We wonder why we cannot seem to get more videos and the one sent to us was in private.
2018-6-3
Use props
Frank White 9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 879843 ft

Crushing the competition, i see
2018-6-4
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4

I think that Electica is trying to better the I2 and is doing a great job.

Do you own a set of T-Motors? If so please could post some feedback on your experience?

Thanks,

Rowan.
2018-6-5
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-6-5 11:47
I think that Electica is trying to better the I2 and is doing a great job.

Do you own a set of T-Motors? If so please could post some feedback on your experience?

Thanks, that's precisely what we are aiming for. We know there're plenty on non stock props out there, but it's really hard to find slow motion videos for some reason.
We are not 100% sure we can make better props, but we know we made a very good motor mount for the props, we also know we have a kick a** wing profile as well, but making the props themselves is a much more complex job, as there're many more factors to take into account. We want to try to make them as perfect as the arm kit we made, but this is a lot more complex. We will see. Our photos should be in early next week, then it's a whole new adventure from there with testing, etc.
We just got granted access to another high tech facility (Much more high tech than needed), but it still does not guarantee perfect results. We are really tip toeing around this project, but it's really fascinating. Here is a first image of the 1st prototypes (Proof of concept). They are non working ones.

Anyway, if they are not really useful, we will not try to produce them, although the motor mount would be a plus to begin with. It's a LOT of work with no guarantee of success, but it's still fun and interesting

2018-6-5
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft

I've been flying the T-Motor folding props for 4 or 5 months and I love them. What little vibration I've noticed lasts for a fraction of a second. I doubt that it has a significant detrimental effect on the motors. I keep mine slightly on the snug side where they fold out. I read elsewhere that these props generate a little more lift and I found out quite unexpectedly - and unscientifically - that they do.
2018-6-8
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4

Thanks for the info.

By 'snug side' - Mine are quite tight out of the box. Did you adjust yours?
2018-6-8
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft

Actually, I think I had to loosen them a bit, if I remember correctly.
2018-6-17
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Opsss! Here we go with exploding carbon fiber. We still think that DJI's stock props are the way to go:
https://inspirepilots.com/thread ... during-shoot.20662/
Too dangerous to use in case of small fractures, too rigid to fly, hence stressing the arms, etc.
Still weird that only one person (Anonimously) posted a video of non stock props. in slow motion.
2018-6-23
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Elektrica Atellani Posted at 2018-6-23 05:09
Opsss! Here we go with exploding carbon fiber. We still think that DJI's stock props are the way to go:
https://inspirepilots.com/threads/critical-failure-of-t-motor-props-during-shoot.20662/
Too dangerous to use in case of small fractures, too rigid to fly, hence stressing the arms, etc.

Here is a link to a slow motion video of the T-Motors Props as you requested. Starts / runs and stops quite nicely.
Hope that helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xve2gh ... rops%20%20.mov?dl=0
2018-6-23
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Cougar1 Posted at 2018-6-23 06:12
Here is a link to a slow motion video of the T-Motors Props as you requested. Starts / runs and stops quite nicely.
Hope that helps.

Thanks, these look very stable. I wonder why some are and others are not.
2018-6-23
Use props
fanse19d7107
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10220 ft
  • >>>

I've been using the T-Motor folding props for about a month now with no issues. make sure you fold out the props befor
2018-6-23
Use props
fanse19d7107
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10220 ft
  • >>>

I've been using the T-Motor folding props for about a month now with no issues. make sure you fold out the props before starting the motors for balance.I did read about an issue today where a inspire 2 crashed with the T-Motors folding props. None of the variables were included in the thread like were the props extended prior to motor startup, could a prop have come loose in flight (loctite applied to screw at install) and so on.
Before installing go to Utube and check out some installs.
On my install I had an issue with one screw in the old prop removal on to thigt. I broke three tork fittings and had to use a drimal tool to cut away the screw for removal. You'll need a T-9 fitting to unscrew and remove the old prop paraphernalia.

2018-6-23
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Elektrica Atellani Posted at 2018-6-23 07:50
Thanks, these look very stable. I wonder why some are and others are not.

Because they are to tight, need to adjust properly.
2018-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules