Getting 3rd Party Apps on the Phantom 4 Pro+ GL300E Controller
4691 11 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Texas_Flyer
lvl.1

United States

Hello all!

I'm currently working on using the Phantom 4 Pro+ for some ecosystem mapping, however it seems that this controller does not allow 3rd party apps to be installed which would make setting up transecs and collecting data a much more effecient process than manually taking pictures as it flies along way-points.

Am I missing something? Or is there really no way to get the Play Store App on the device so that I can download something akin to Drone Deploy and what not?

I'm looking forward to any advice y'all can give me on how I can tackle preflight planning with the drone. I'm pretty new to using it in general.

Thanks!
2018-5-30
Use props
Markon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1296585 ft
Australia

Unfortunately my understanding is that you cannot install 3rd party apps on the + controller.

My drone is a Phantom 4 Pro+ and once I got the hang of flying it, I wanted to run some apps to map fields (paddocks). When I purchased the drone from the retailer, I asked if I could run third party apps, and the salesperson assured me I could. I was extremely disappointed when I found this was not the case.

I don't blame DJI for this, just the retailer and me being a newbie with DJI gear.

After looking into it, the only practical solution for me was buy a second controller and a iPad Mini 4. In my case I also upgraded the new controller with a Itelite Shockwave Duo Range Booster making it much more practical for me on the farm, so all ends well. With the new upgraded controller, I have the ability now to fly over all of the farm taking off from my house. All I want now is for DJI to make even better flight batteries for even more range/flight time.

Maybe DJI could update their product page on their website to clearly emphasize that if you buy the + models, you cannot install third party apps. BIG BOLD TEXT IN RED may be the solution for people like me
2018-5-30
Use props
Markon
lvl.4
Australia

One of the apps that I use a lot is DJI GS PRO (Ground Station Pro).

You have to experiment a bit to find the right settings for your needs, but it works really well once you get it set up right.

Also it does not update your flight records, so take a stopwatch so you can get the right times for your logbook (If you are keeping a record of flights)

Big thing to note, it is only for the iPad.
2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The P4P+ with built-in screen supports to install the third-party APP, but not available to install the paid APP for now. We cannot ensure the performance of the third party APP, sorry about this. You can find more details from here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-134274-1-1.html
2018-5-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

In simple language, you can't load any 3rd party apps that are useful for mapping (there are hardly any useful 3rd party apps that work on the +)
You need to buy a new regular P4 pro controller and a good tablet and you'll be able to run any of the good mapping apps.
2018-5-30
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

If you're on latest release you can install third party apps but you can not use Google Play store, perhaps Amazon like in this app if they have the apps you need  but still you can't be sure they would be supported on the +.
Apps found on apkpure.com and other places from where you can download an app package from the build-in browser also can be installed but again you can't be sure they work before trying.
2018-5-31
Use props
Texas_Flyer
lvl.1

United States

Markon Posted at 2018-5-30 19:54
Unfortunately my understanding is that you cannot install 3rd party apps on the + controller.

My drone is a Phantom 4 Pro+ and once I got the hang of flying it, I wanted to run some apps to map fields (paddocks). When I purchased the drone from the retailer, I asked if I could run third party apps, and the salesperson assured me I could. I was extremely disappointed when I found this was not the case.

Yeah,  we made the assumption that it was just like any other android device and that it could support third party apps.

I'll try installing Amazon Apps like what others have suggested to see if I can get the apps we want to experiment with to make mapping a lot easier.

Thanks for the response!   
2018-5-31
Use props
Texas_Flyer
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-30 21:37
In simple language, you can't load any 3rd party apps that are useful for mapping (there are hardly any useful 3rd party apps that work on the +)
You need to buy a new regular P4 pro controller and a good tablet and you'll be able to run any of the good mapping apps.

Yeah, that's exactly what we feared we would have to do: buy yet another controller, or try to see if they would be willing to exchange devices for us so that we can do the work we want to ASAP.

I'm going to try what the others have suggested here before we break down and purchase a second controller. Thanks for responding!
2018-5-31
Use props
Texas_Flyer
lvl.1

United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-31 02:53
If you're on latest release you can install third party apps but you can not use Google Play store, perhaps Amazon like in this app if they have the apps you need  but still you can't be sure they would be supported on the +.
Apps found on apkpure.com and other places from where you can download an app package from the build-in browser also can be installed but again you can't be sure they work before trying.

I read about using APKPure.com's downloads, but I was hesitant when I read that there is the potential for malware. Although, I guess in that case it's important to just be cautious.

I'll try APKPure after I give the Amazon Appstore a shot

Thanks for the response!
2018-5-31
Use props
Texas_Flyer
lvl.1

United States

Markon Posted at 2018-5-30 20:17
One of the apps that I use a lot is DJI GS PRO (Ground Station Pro).

You have to experiment a bit to find the right settings for your needs, but it works really well once you get it set up right.

So, do you use the IPad and the DJO GS PRO app on the Ipad to pre-plan transects and are then able to upload it to the controller? Or do you mean that you were using the controller that connects to an Ipad or Tablet with that app installed?

If DJI has an app that allows us to do pre flight planning and loading KML or shape files, that would be fantastic.
2018-5-31
Use props
Markon
lvl.4
Australia

Texas_Flyer Posted at 2018-5-31 06:44
So, do you use the IPad and the DJO GS PRO app on the Ipad to pre-plan transects and are then able to upload it to the controller? Or do you mean that you were using the controller that connects to an Ipad or Tablet with that app installed?

If DJI has an app that allows us to do pre flight planning and loading KML or shape files, that would be fantastic.

Yes, I preplan on the iPad mini with DJI GS Pro. So far I have only used the tap function to pre plan missions but there is a a menu option to load KML & shape files.

There is a really good manual for this product you can download from the product page on DJI site
2018-5-31
Use props
markseb44
lvl.1

New Zealand

Markon Posted at 2018-5-30 19:54
Unfortunately my understanding is that you cannot install 3rd party apps on the + controller.

My drone is a Phantom 4 Pro+ and once I got the hang of flying it, I wanted to run some apps to map fields (paddocks). When I purchased the drone from the retailer, I asked if I could run third party apps, and the salesperson assured me I could. I was extremely disappointed when I found this was not the case.

Wow. Didn't I get skunked buying this piece of crap?  And here I was thinking that by purchasing the "top spec" unit [barring rtk] that I would be able to map with it? I am totally disgusted that we are hamstrung by this remote controller [GL300E]

Could someone maybe comment though why my controller is running system 1.3.6  when that seems to match the pro+ controller not the V2 [thats if my last 2 days sitting in front of my computer trying to solve the unsolvable is correct....all crystalsky remotes are V2 units?)

I am really gutted at not being able to set up an automated mapping mission with this piece of &^%&*^ controller.
2020-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules