No flight log when no data connection?
1383 17 2018-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ran into something new over the holiday break -- I was flying at the top of a mountain in an area that had no cell reception, and when I later tried to sync my flight logs there were none to send. Has anyone else noticed this happening when out of cellular range? I have flight logs from both before and after that location where I did have cell/data service.

Running latest version of DJI Go 4 (v4.2.16) iOS and Mavic Pro firmware, though I have been deferring geomap updates while in the field.

Interesting, I have three .dat flight logs in the FlightLogs folder but only two flight record .txt and MCDatFlightRecords .DAT files for that day in the FlightRecords folder.

2018-5-31
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

You definitely do not need to have cell connection, in my opinion it's even better to never fly with cell connection. Your flight records might still pop up, for unknown reasons they show up sometimes with some delay.
2018-5-31
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-31 12:56
You definitely do not need to have cell connection, in my opinion it's even better to never fly with cell connection. Your flight records might still pop up, for unknown resons they show up sometimes with some delay.

Thanks, but the flight record is missing from the phone itself. I know this can happen if for some reason the app crashes or is turned off while writing the file, but that didn't happen in this case.
2018-5-31
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-5-31 13:09
Thanks, but the flight record is missing from the phone itself. I know this can happen if for some reason the app crashes or is turned off while writing the file, but that didn't happen in this case.

Where you out of CACHE???
2018-5-31
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-5-31 16:30
Where you out of CACHE???

Nope, plenty of room and all streamed to phone content is present and accounted for.
2018-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Strange.
I flew without cell connection the other day.
No issues with the log (it is just there)
2018-5-31
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-5-31 23:28
Strange.
I flew without cell connection the other day.
No issues with the log (it is just there)

Did you fly with your cellular radio disabled or in an area where there was no signal?
2018-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-6-1 08:08
Did you fly with your cellular radio disabled or in an area where there was no signal?

Airplane mode.
There was 4G coverage, but I turned off the antenna's to avoid incoming calls and messages.
The only difference I noticed was the lack of a map.
2018-6-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-1 08:10
Airplane mode.
There was 4G coverage, but I turned off the antenna's to avoid incoming calls and messages.
The only difference I noticed was the lack of a map.

Yeah, that's a different scenario, I've done the same thing in the past and noticed no issues, but this was the first time I think that I've flown in an area w/o any reception at all, and suspect this is not something that gets heavy testing attention in quality control.

BTW, I flew a Hangar 360 3.x mission here that also failed due to the lack of a cellular connection, confirmed by Hangar's support, but in this case the app expects a data connection or you lose the pano. Had I flown in Airplane mode the pano assets would have been saved until I had a connection, something I confirmed works.

2018-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-6-1 08:16
Yeah, that's a different scenario, I've done the same thing in the past and noticed no issues, but this was the first time I think that I've flown in an area w/o any reception at all, and suspect this is not something that gets heavy testing attention in quality control.

You might be right about that.
2018-6-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-5-31 19:23
Nope, plenty of room and all streamed to phone content is present and accounted for.

I always fly with AIRPLANE mode and no issues. Maybe a fluke!

Clear your cache and try again

2018-6-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-6-1 10:06
I always fly with AIRPLANE mode and no issues. Maybe a fluke!

Clear your cache and try again

I rather suspect the app tests for whether the phone is in Airplane mode and adjusts accordingly, but is failing to make the appropriate adjustments and/or gets confused when Airplane mode is off but there is no service.

It's curious to me that there are three log files with the right timestamps in the FlightLogs folder, but only two in the FlightRecords folder.
2018-6-1
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

I've flown in the mountains in Colorado far out of Cell Range.  Got back to the Motel and everything synced with no problems.  I'll spend all day long up there and sync that evening without a single bug.  Still got them on my phone.  
2018-6-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-6-1 14:02
I've flown in the mountains in Colorado far out of Cell Range.  Got back to the Motel and everything synced with no problems.  I'll spend all day long up there and sync that evening without a single bug.  Still got them on my phone.

Thanks. Do you switch your phone into Airplane mode when knowingly going into an area w/o reception? I often do that when I know I'm going to be out of range so that my phone isn't using up its battery trying to make a connection that can't be made. In this case I didn't expect to be out of range and wonder if that's the difference.
2018-6-3
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-6-3 13:33
Thanks. Do you switch your phone into Airplane mode when knowingly going into an area w/o reception? I often do that when I know I'm going to be out of range so that my phone isn't using up its battery trying to make a connection that can't be made. In this case I didn't expect to be out of range and wonder if that's the difference.

When I flew in Colorado, it was last summer and I'd just gotten my MP about a week before I went up there.  So I didn't know much.  I'm heading back up there in about a month and a half and I'll try it.  Now at home, I fly about half and half.  Airplane mode about 50% of the time.  (usually when I think about it).  

Now, I've had my flight records go missing/Gaps occasionally.  The first time I was experimenting with Waypoints.  Set up my flight path, told it to go and it ran fine.  Got home and my flight records had a gap in them when the Mission was running for some reason.  Never been able to repeat the experience though.
But unlike your problem, I didn't lose a total flight.  I've only lost bits and pieces of flights.  Chopped up some.  
2018-6-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-6-1 08:08

Flight records on the app will be generated if the app and transmission are connected normally. If you sync the record to the service, you would need to cell service. Was the app connected correctly at that time? Would it be the USB cable loosened? Please help to do more tests and see if the flight record misses during normal connection frequently, ensure that your mobile device has enough space. If yes, please kindly let me know, provide me with the specific mobile device you are using, I will have the engineers to check. Thank you.
2018-6-3
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-3 20:28
Flight records on the app will be generated if the app and transmission are connected normally. If you sync the record to the service, you would need to cell service. Was the app connected correctly at that time? Would it be the USB cable loosened? Please help to do more tests and see if the flight record misses during normal connection frequently, ensure that your mobile device has enough space. If yes, please kindly let me know, provide me with the specific mobile device you are using, I will have the engineers to check. Thank you.

Hi Thor,

The cable connection was fine, I have downlink video and photos from the flight. I didn't try to sync the flight records until later in the day when I had cell service, and flights both before and after the missing flight were successfully synced.

I am running on an iPhone 7 with 26GB of free space, and at the time the OS version was 11.3.

Thanks.
2018-6-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-6-4 06:33
Hi Thor,

The cable connection was fine, I have downlink video and photos from the flight. I didn't try to sync the flight records until later in the day when I had cell service, and flights both before and after the missing flight were successfully synced.

Thank you for getting back, I will forward your case to the engineers to notice. Please also let me know if it happens frequently. Thank you.
2018-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules