Wind data from the Spark
1364 20 2018-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rolypolyman
lvl.1
United States

Hey all.. I'm looking at using a Spark for gathering wind data for some scientific work.  Here's a sample below -- yes, it topped out at 1000 ft but we're in the boondocks and it was cleared with our local field that monitors the CTAF frequency.

You can see this wind readout, which comes with an AirdataUAV $2 plan.  This is not from nearby weather stations but is actually calculated from some sort of vector subtraction of the drift from the GPS location. What I'm wondering if this is website is the only source for getting wind data, or if there are other programs that are able to do computations like this with this kind of granularity.

Thanks!

drone-winds.jpg

2018-5-31
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Gathering Wind data is beyond the scope of this forum.
This forum is only to support flight operations,  commands and SPARK malfunctions happening during a SPARK flight .
2018-5-31
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Ya I dont know of any other programs that do the same. It would be cool if any other programs did it for free.
2018-5-31
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Kuwait

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-5-31 15:57
Ya I dont know of any other programs that do the same. It would be cool if any other programs did it for free.

you can use UAVFORECAST which is specifically for DJI devices added into google play store.
2018-5-31
Use props
dudez7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741778 ft
Singapore

Or roughly determine during flight using 'attitude indicator' :

2018-5-31
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

G'day.
(Rant on)
Contrary to another post, above, I believe your question is well within the scope of this forum & very interesting. AirData calculates wind information from the DJI Go logs with it's own algorithm.  The fact that this information is available may have prompted your idea to collect wind data. Where else do you ask? A Spark forum, of course. No point asking elsewhere 'cos it relates directly to available Spark info. The OP's question is - how to extract the data with another program.  No point asking in a weather forum how to extract data from a drone.  Wind data is a valuable tool to learn & review safe flying conditions.
(Rant off)

Relative wind data may be available after downloading  the .DAT file directly from Spark via DJI Assistant & then view the 'AirComp:WindSpeed' & 'AirComp:WindHeading' (maybe also  general:relativeHeight) signals with CsvView. http://datfile.net/CsvView/intro.html

I don't understand the AirComp signals provided, nor does the author of the CsvView software ( http://datfile.net/DatCon/fieldsV3.html) .
I guess WindSpeed is m/s (calculated by the compensation angle of Spark, drift & motor speed etc?)  The Wind Heading may be calculated using the Spark X,Y,Z angle, compass & GPS values, as Spark is compensating the direction of the of the wind.

Anyway, that's the only alternative that I know -  to directly answer you question.
How to understand the data is another question. Spark records all the details & understanding may prevent "Fly-Away's".

Thanks for asking the question. I'm sure many others would be interested with further wind observation as it may assist with safer flying & understanding of the wind v's drones.

Happy Flying...
2018-5-31
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-5-31 16:05
you can use UAVFORECAST which is specifically for DJI devices added into google play store.

UAVFORECAST is a forecast provider in general. It's NOT SPECIFICALLY designed for DJI devices.
It is a FORECAST, not actual readings.  Maybe the Parrot & other 'drones' are supported?
Your answer to say the UAV FORECAST is specific to  DJI drones is obviously false. Other drones are supported & maybe the data remains the same...   
2018-6-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-5-31 16:05

Why contradict your information. Providing forecast data via UAV... is not the solution.  The wind data is available in the logs & very useful to know for 101 reasons beyond your concerns. The OP asked a fair question. How to get the wind info from the device?  Why tell the OP they are in the wrong forum just 'cos you are not interested & YOU fail to understand the question. It does not give you a right to suggest otherwise. Fair go. Answer the question if you know the answer, but don't guess with BS & say it's not relevant. Of course is it a fair question - but stupid answers?  Give the OP a chance & help out. Negative info does not help answer available options.
2018-6-1
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Japan

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-6-1 00:41
UAVFORECAST is a forecast provider in general. It's NOT SPECIFICALLY designed for DJI devices.
It is a FORECAST, not actual readings.  Maybe the Parrot & other 'drones' are supported?
Your answer to say the UAV FORECAST is specific to  DJI drones is obviously false. Other drones are supported & maybe the data remains the same...

The app indicates DJI and therefore that is all that matters. Also it shows specific to DJI NFZ
2018-6-1
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Japan

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-6-1 01:41
Why contradict your information. Providing forecast data via UAV... is not the solution.  The wind data is available in the logs & very useful to know for 101 reasons beyond your concerns. The OP asked a fair question. How to get the wind info from the device?  Why tell the OP they are in the wrong forum just 'cos you are not interested & YOU fail to understand the question. It does not give you a right to suggest otherwise. Fair go. Answer the question if you know the answer, but don't guess with BS & say it's not relevant. Of course is it a fair question - but stupid answers?  Give the OP a chance & help out. Negative info does not help answer available options.

I would suggest you check into a mental institution for some correction !!
2018-6-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-5-31 15:54
This forum is only to support flight operations,  commands and SPARK malfunctions happening during a SPARK flight .

Flight operations & wind data may be included within Spark data  Fair question, but you have no answer & claim the forum does not support the same question.  Help out others S.J. & respond positively. The forum is for anybody requiring help. Maybe we all have a different reasons to fly & need assistance in any manner.  Where else would you ask the question?  Please provide an alternative forum that would be more suitable.
2018-6-1
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Japan

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-6-1 02:37
Flight operations & wind data may be included within Spark data  Fair question, but you have no answer & claim the forum does not support the same question.  Help out others S.J. & respond positively. The forum is for anybody requiring help. Maybe we all have a different reasons to fly & need assistance in any manner.  Where else would you ask the question?  Please provide an alternative forum that would be more suitable.

check message # 4 . What do you understand here ?
2018-6-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-6-1 03:12
check message # 4 . What do you understand here ?

The wind details are available within Spark .DAT. Direction & speed values might be m/s? Unless somebody else has a better idea, I'm trying my best to answer to topic within my knowledge.  
2018-6-1
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

S.J Posted at 2018-5-31 15:54
This forum is only to support flight operations,  commands and SPARK malfunctions happening during a SPARK flight .

Friday, Rant

The above post is and should be part of the Spark Forum as long as it was done with a Spark and that it's valuable information that others on this site could use.  Let's not bash anyone for posting Spark related information regardless if its a picture, video, statistics, dos and don't and many other, so long as its DJI Spark related.

Happy Friday to all
2018-6-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-6-1 01:51
The app indicates DJI and therefore that is all that matters. Also it shows specific to DJI NFZ

Can you explain further? You claimed it was specific to DJI before.  Where is the DJI NFZ specified - can you provide a link?

Trust DJI Go app with the bugs? More things matter other than your personal ideas!
2018-6-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-6-1 01:53
I would suggest you check into a mental institution for some correction !!

I suggest you roll over & stop ABUSING others trying to assist fellow 'pilots' . POQADCB. Check into ya own mental institution first & reply when they let you out
2018-6-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-6-1 07:23
Can you explain further? You claimed it was specific to DJI before.  Where is the DJI NFZ specified - can you provide a link?

My error - NFZ are shown. But NFZ is not specific to DJI drones. Any drone should avoid NFZ etc & the pilot is always responsible to comply with local 'drone' rules. Anyway, this is a side-track. The OP topic is about wind information from Spark & how to access the 'wind' data available directly from Spark or RC via a web site or other programs.   
2018-6-1
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

dudez7 Posted at 2018-5-31 16:17
Or roughly determine during flight using 'attitude indicator' :

https://youtu.be/qKloYMJOVTg

Nice Video, Thanks for sending the Link.

2018-6-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-6-1 04:02
The wind details are available within Spark .DAT. Direction & speed values might be m/s? Unless somebody else has a better idea, I'm trying my best to answer to topic within my knowledge.

The question was how to get details apart from UAV, Airdata etc from other programs?  User S.J. is ignoring the question at hand & referring back to forecast data. The pilot may want to collect actual info during flight, not estimated wind speed from a weather station miles away.

Get a grip S.J. & understand the question instead of trolling & sharing misinformation.  Abuse me personally again or anybody else, a complaint will be made to the forum moderators with a request to dismiss your account,. Your mental abuse is NOT ACCEPTABLE within your comments & I have taken it fairly, but with great offence. No longer can I trust, nor respect  your name, S.J,  any further within these forums after such abuse!
2018-6-1
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Look at the app Windfinder, or go to windfinder.com - that might help, if its not already been suggested.

Edit::: That said, of course its based on modelling and forecasting, so its not going to help get you the data from the actual flight. My bad.... I just read more closely.

Everyone breath in, now out, repeat, keep calm!

2018-6-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Northwood Posted at 2018-6-1 09:16
Look at the app Windfinder, or go to windfinder.com - that might help, if its not already been suggested.

Edit::: That said, of course its based on modelling and forecasting, so its not going to help get you the data from the actual flight. My bad.... I just read more closely.

Well done Northwood. You are good at reading & noticed the difference between forecasting & real data.
2018-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules