Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic Air or wait for "Mavic 2"?
4023 27 2018-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nmbrg
lvl.1

Sweden

Im about to buy a drone but im not sure if i should buy the air or the pro platinum. Or if i should wait for a new drone to be released by DJI.

What do you guys and girls think? Buy now or wait? Pro or Air?

Im in no hurry. but i dont want to wait 6 month for a new drone either. And im not a professional and are not gonna use it commercialy.

If im not gonna wait for a new drone, think the pro platinum is the way to go. but i've read so many pages, reviews and posts saying the air is better. But looking at the specs it looks like the pro platinum is better.

i just want good video quality, as long flight time as possible and good range (as any other drone pilot i guess).
Im gonna use it with the dji goggles (or dji goggles RE, not decided yet).
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MA but as you intend to use goggles, MP
2018-6-1
Use props
nmbrg
lvl.1

Sweden

A CW Posted at 2018-6-1 00:04
MA but as you intend to use goggles, MP

Why MA?
And why MP for goggles?
2018-6-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nmbrg Posted at 2018-6-1 00:08
Why MA?
And why MP for goggles?

Better camera/gimbal and more tech in the MA
OcuSync in the MP is ultimately designed for FPV
2018-6-1
Use props
nmbrg
lvl.1

Sweden

A CW Posted at 2018-6-1 00:10
Better camera/gimbal and more tech in the MA
OcuSync in the MP is ultimately designed for FPV

Ok, am i the only one that thinks its weird that the MA is cheaper than the MP?
If its better (more tech) it should be more expensive.

Maybe i should rethink the goggles. That was just because it looked fun.
If that forces me to buy something that is worse i might skip the goggles to get a better drone.
Or maybe wait for a new drone? Hopefully it will have all those things?
2018-6-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, actually, both of the Mavic air and Mavic pro/platinum are great drones, we have not got any information about Mavic 2, so you can choose to purchase a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro. Thanks.
2018-6-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nmbrg Posted at 2018-6-1 00:13
Ok, am i the only one that thinks its weird that the MA is cheaper than the MP?
If its better (more tech) it should be more expensive.

No you're not, everyone who owns the MA are blown away by it's value for money. The expense in the MP rests in it's controller and specifically OcuSync - the MA has a weaker transmission with enhanced WiFi but is still good enough. Note too that the MP continues to price drop - it will be cheaper than the MA soon.
You could wait for an MP2 but whether that is next month or next year your guess is as good as mine and it won't be priced the same.
2018-6-1
Use props
nmbrg
lvl.1

Sweden

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-6-1 00:17
Hi, actually, both of the Mavic air and Mavic pro/platinum are great drones, we have not got any information about Mavic 2, so you can choose to purchase a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro. Thanks.

Thanks, but that wasnt especially helpful.
I know both are great drones. But i doubt they both are great for my needs. I bet one of them suits my needs better (as the previous poster just said about the ocusync and tech).

And if the MA is cheaper and has superior tech, im not so sure the MP is that great to buy..

You're an admin (and work for DJI?). I think you can be more helpful than that?
2018-6-1
Use props
nmbrg
lvl.1

Sweden

A CW Posted at 2018-6-1 00:22
No you're not, everyone who owns the MA are blown away by it's value for money. The expense in the MP rests in it's controller and specifically OcuSync - the MA has a weaker transmission with enhanced WiFi but is still good enough. Note too that the MP continues to price drop - it will be cheaper than the MA soon.
You could wait for an MP2 but whether that is next month or next year your guess is as good as mine and it won't be priced the same.

Ok thanks for that clarification.
Thats a tough one. I like the idea of flying with goggles. But i also want the best possible drone. And waiting has never been my strong suit.

Sounds like im really stupid if i buy the MP.

So guess ill either buy the MA or wait for MP2. But since i cant use the goggles with MA i guess it will be waiting for MP2.
2018-6-1
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

If you're priority is flight time and range get the platinum, only real benefit of the MA over the MP is slight bump in video quality and portability.  With nothing concrete on the MP2 you could be waiting sometime so unless you're happy to wait 6 months+ get the Platinum
2018-6-1
Use props
nmbrg
lvl.1

Sweden

Ridg Posted at 2018-6-1 01:58
If you're priority is flight time and range get the platinum, only real benefit of the MA over the MP is slight bump in video quality and portability.  With nothing concrete on the MP2 you could be waiting sometime so unless you're happy to wait 6 months+ get the Platinum

Ok, thanks for the input!

This really drives me mad. I just cant decide.
i'll continue to read reviews and hope for more input.

2018-6-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nmbrg Posted at 2018-6-1 00:53
Ok thanks for that clarification.
Thats a tough one. I like the idea of flying with goggles. But i also want the best possible drone. And waiting has never been my strong suit.

Not at all. The MP is an excellent drone. I owned the MP, Alpine white and platinum (at different times of course) for more than a year and loved that drone. It is just that in my case the Mavic Air suits my personal needs far more.

MP =
Pro's: longer flight times, longer range, more stable transmission signal, excellent for FPV, quieter (especially the platinum)

Con's: Becoming dated, poor gimbal design, low bit rate for 4K video, older flight modes

MA =
Pro's: more robust unit, more portable, superior gimbal, improved camera with updated processor, higher bit rate for 4K, FHD @ 120p, APAS, Smart Capture, more (and cooler) quick shots, more advanced active track and tap fly, 32mp spheres, internal storage, no annoying tap-to-focus as set to auto infinity, 3 directions of obstacle avoidance, faster in Sport mode, handles wind better, charges batteries quicker, officially cheaper

Con's: less flight time, WiFi transmission (though still good enough) meaning more signal glitches and less range, loud motors, less features on the remote, less colour profiles, slower cruising and elevation speeds in p-mode, hard line needed for goggles

Hope that helps.
2018-6-1
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Mavic Air pros
-marginally better camera performance
-can shoot 60 fps
-more available quickshots
-camera recessed more within the front fuselage so more durable
-a little smaller and lighter (really only a pros if you plan on pocketing it)
Mavic Air cons
-uses wifi (susceptible to interference in built up areas)
-uses wifi (much less distance)
-uses wifi (can be prone to disconnects especially in suburban/city settings)
-a little smaller so harder to keep VLOS if that is how you want to fly
-shorter flight time
-louder
-no back-up telemetry screen on controller

Mavic Pro pros
-uses Ocusync (much less susceptible to interference in built up areas)
-uses Ocusync (almost twice the distance)
-uses Ocusync (fly with confidence in suburban/city settings)
-more and easier access to camera settings
-a little larger size so easier to keep VLOS if that is how you want to fly
-longer flight time
-quieter
-shows telemetry on controller screen (great back-up)
-more buttons on controller so less going into Go 4 while trying to fly
-has second wheel on controller (easy to adjust exposure on the fly)
-did I mention it uses Ocusync, not wifi

Mavic Pro Cons
-can't shoot 60 fps
-camera/gimbal has not much protection surrounding it
-no hand gestures
-costs a little more
-won't fit in your pocket
2018-6-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Far_North Posted at 2018-6-1 10:10
Mavic Air pros
-marginally better camera performance
-can shoot 60 fps

What do you mean the Mavic Pro can't shoot 60p? It can shoot up to 120p in HD and 96p in FHD!
Do you own the Mavic Air? The max frame rate in 4KUHD is 30p.
2018-6-1
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-6-1 10:15
What do you mean the Mavic Pro can't shoot 60p? It can shoot up to 120p in HD and 96p in FHD!
Do you own the Mavic Air? The max frame rate in 4KUHD is 30p.

I own a MPP.  I was referring to C4K, 4K, and 2.7K video which is what most people are interested in.  Guess I should have been more specific.
2018-6-1
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

With the points you mention being important to you - longest yielding flight time and good range - Mavic Pro exceeds the Air in both and offers wireless connectivity to DJI Goggles. Personally I went with the Pro for those same reasons. Everything is up in the air on DJI releasing a Mavic Pro 2, as early estimates predicted we'd see a March release date, which didn't result. Given DJI releases new drones several months apart as we saw Mavic Pro Platinum in Nov. 2017, Mavic Air just this past January, and Phantom 4 Pro V2 only last month, the soonest we'd see 2nd Mavic Pro probably towards well after the summer. Take this opportunity to purchase a brand new Orginal Mavic Pro that discounted selling well under its normal market price because DJI pricing strategy is expected to keep new products costing reasonably fair price wise, and at this juncture the best deal out is not a Mavic Pro Plantinum, becuause you can underpay and pruchase at a discount the cost of buying a new deeply discounted Orignal Mavic Pro that does most of what Platinum provides but frankely much discounted from higher levels. vvg
2018-6-1
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

A CW Posted at 2018-6-1 02:12
Not at all. The MP is an excellent drone. I owned the MP, Alpine white and platinum (at different times of course) for more than a year and loved that drone. It is just that in my case the Mavic Air suits my personal needs far more.

MP =

I never new on a paper MA was faster in sport mode - so reading Your post I tried to find some test -
My MP eventually reached 81.7 km/h

And not to be offtopic - my choice will be Pro - as distance and flight time are essential for my usage - I fly far and long exploring distant object in far places I lose signal every now and then (can't imagine what it'll be wit MA )
2018-6-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Far_North Posted at 2018-6-1 14:55
I own a MPP.  I was referring to C4K, 4K, and 2.7K video which is what most people are interested in.  Guess I should have been more specific.

Yeah, you can do 60p in 2.7K on the MA but 30p is the limit in 4KUHD. The MP can record DCI 4K at 24p where the MA can not but 2.7K on the MP is limited to 30p. The main difference for me owning the MA and previously the MPP is the video bit rate. You really need 100MBPS when recording 4K - it is noticably different and improved on the MA which also has an upgraded processor.
2018-6-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 2018-6-1 22:34
I never new on a paper MA was faster in sport mode - so reading Your post I tried to find some test - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKWY-AvgzrE
My MP eventually reached 81.7 km/h

Yeah, the fastest I ever reached with my Mavic Pro's is 41.8MPH. I've reached 45.2MPH with my MA. Being smaller and more agile is also looks a lot faster in the air.
If range is your top priority (over image and tech) then the MP is the better option. I tend to fly within a one-mile radius and have no issues with the MA in doing that.
2018-6-1
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are some excellent pointers on the specifications on here for you, but some differences only become apparent after flying both the Pro & the Air for some time.
This may help your decision:
Ian

2018-6-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2018-6-2 00:25
There are some excellent pointers on the specifications on here for you, but some differences only become apparent after flying both the Pro & the Air for some time.
Ian

Good point - the way the Mavic Air automatically adjusts it's own pitch angle to compensate for wind speeds in order to maintain it's position and air speed is brilliant. I always found it annoying on the MP/P how the drone would just suddenly slow down when the wind speed increased. I remember being in full pitch forward once on the MPP and my max speed in p-mode was 2MPH... Scary, especially when the drone is a mile away.  Had to switch to Sport mode, descend to 150' and almost zig zag with the wind. Came back OK but an inexperienced pilot would have lost his/her drone in that situation. The fact the MA cruises at the same speed in winds of up to 22MPH is a great but fairly unknown feature which no spec sheet will tell you about.
2018-6-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Wellsi Posted at 2018-6-2 00:25
There are some excellent pointers on the specifications on here for you, but some differences only become apparent after flying both the Pro & the Air for some time.
Ian

Question - is obstacle avoidance sensors of MA full from the sun as those of Pro? Thath's made me disable mynes and fly withouth them - much faster by the way
2018-6-2
Use props
nmbrg
lvl.1

Sweden

Thanks for all the help!

I've decided to wait for a new drone. I feel that both the MA and the MP is lacking.
So i hope the new "Mavic 2" will have the best of both.
2018-6-2
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nmbrg Posted at 2018-6-2 08:28
Thanks for all the help!

I've decided to wait for a new drone. I feel that both the MA and the MP is lacking.

Understandable!  But note that people have been "waiting for the Pro ll" for over 6 months....  It could be released next week, next year, or not at all.... But hopefully a new model will have the best of the Air and the Pro!

Ian
2018-6-3
Use props
nmbrg
lvl.1

Sweden

Wellsi Posted at 2018-6-3 00:55
Understandable!  But note that people have been "waiting for the Pro ll" for over 6 months....  It could be released next week, next year, or not at all.... But hopefully a new model will have the best of the Air and the Pro!

Ian

Yeah, this is why im ok with waiting for a new drone.
As you say, its been 6 month.  Had it been a couple of weeks i wouldnt wait. But since its 6 month theres a big(ger) chance of it beeing released soon.
2018-6-4
Use props
gkordowski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 798360 ft
  • >>>
Jersey

I'm pretty sure that DJI is "waiting" for Autel and Evo... to release it a few days later
But... it is possible that Autel is doing exactly the same... and they are waiting for DJI ;-)
2018-6-5
Use props
JordanM
lvl.4

2018-6-23
Use props
inthetubedeep64
lvl.1

To UAVmans

[QUOTE=UAVmans]Hey man I read your post. I am planning to buy the DJI Mavic Pro, but then I found this topic about the leaks of the DJI Mavic Pro II: https://forum.dji.com/thread-150755-1-1.html. Which made me wonder, should I wait for the Mavic Pro II or go with the DJI Mavic Pro. Do you have a simple advice?[/QUOTE]

Hey - well I can say that when I was about to buy the Mavic Pro I kept thinking wait- a newer better Mavic will be announced as soon as you buy one! Sure enough I was about to purchase and a guy in RCG replied to my post and said wait Tube!! DJI just announced the Platinum! So I bought the Mavic Pro Platinum,  it s insane!!  Now, should you wait for the Pro 2? I found this link  

https://myfirstdrone.com/blog/ma ... -everything-we-know  

From what I read there and in the rcg thread the MP2 may have added sensors aft for obstacle avoidance, better camera, longer flight but might be $200-$300 more- that article said he expects DJI may announce the MP2 on July 18 event- thats pretty soon, I'd wait the 2 weeks and see what they announce!

Bottom line: I'd wait til July 18, if they announce the Pro 2 great- jump on the pre-order if they have it or just purchase, if nothing new announced pull the trigger on the MP - its amazing- I'm still in awe of mine!
2018-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules