Inspire 1 Crash and Behaviour
1388 5 2018-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PeterHammond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10190 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, my one week old Inspire 1 Pro had a crash landing during an automatic RTH, firstly I think the landing gear came down a little late (about 2 feet above the ground) and whilst near to the final touchdown the aircraft suddenly veered to the left by about 3 feet, this caused the craft  to tip over breaking the upper YAW arm of the X5 gimble.  Initially I thought this may have been down to me but on flying the drone without the X5 (its in two piecces) today in no more than 7 MPH windes at sea level the aircraft looses about five feet vetically when coming to a halt (not to be confused with braking) when flying at about half speed, I want to capture low level video about three feet from the ground but as it is this would be totally imposible, also it drifts much more than I woulds have thought loosing about 2ft horizontally at a time with no stick involvement.  Being an ex Phantom 4 pro pilot this would definitely not happen with the P4P.
Obviously the Gimbal needs repairing but I think the aircrat does as well, hopefully undewr warranty

Any comments would be sinceerely appreciated

2018-6-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Peter, we are so sorry for the crash accident, if you believe the issue has nothing to do with the pilot operation, please start a ticket here for data analysis and the repair service, our team will help to find out the reason to see if it is a warranty case, hope everything goes smoothly.
2018-6-2
Use props
PeterHammond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10190 ft
United Kingdom

Ive been out to do a few test flights and have noted a few problems.  On take of 11 satellites, compass calibrated, wind 6mp, controller P mode.  Firstly I noted there was quite a lot of horizontal drive, more than I have experienced on a p4p for example, I can live with this but it did seem a bit excessive as I was told the Inspire 1 pro would outperform the p4p in windy conditions (6mph is not that windy), as Im new to the I1 I would appreciate comments from more experienced I1 flyers.      

I also noted that the I1 would loose quite a lot of height (randomly) without any left stick involvement, somewhere in the region of up to 3mtrs or so and on one occasion if I hadn't throttled up it would have crashed which scares the ?&@P out of me, you definite couldn't fly low level with confidence as it is, certainly not less than 5 mtrs as a safety margin, in fact I don't deem it to be safe period, any comments would be appreciated.  Note to do this test the left stick was not used except to gain height,  so it could not be responsible for this problem.  Please note this test was done miles away from any human habitation and people etc so was safe to perform

Also when standing at the original take of point, with the craft just above head height at two mtrs the DJI Go app was showing a height of 8.3 mtrs,  I don't get that, does anybody know a reason for this, have I done something wrong?  I would imagine this could have caused the crash I've previously reported.

Anyway lost confidence in the I1, I love it but i'm starting to hate it.
2018-6-3
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

PeterHammond Posted at 2018-6-3 10:17
Ive been out to do a few test flights and have noted a few problems.  On take of 11 satellites, compass calibrated, wind 6mp, controller P mode.  Firstly I noted there was quite a lot of horizontal drive, more than I have experienced on a p4p for example, I can live with this but it did seem a bit excessive as I was told the Inspire 1 pro would outperform the p4p in windy conditions (6mph is not that windy), as Im new to the I1 I would appreciate comments from more experienced I1 flyers.      

I also noted that the I1 would loose quite a lot of height (randomly) without any left stick involvement, somewhere in the region of up to 3mtrs or so and on one occasion if I hadn't throttled up it would have crashed which scares the ?&@P out of me, you definite couldn't fly low level with confidence as it is, certainly not less than 5 mtrs as a safety margin, in fact I don't deem it to be safe period, any comments would be appreciated.  Note to do this test the left stick was not used except to gain height,  so it could not be responsible for this problem.  Please note this test was done miles away from any human habitation and people etc so was safe to perform

Indeed, Inspire 1 is not very good at holding attitude steady. I believe that the barometric sensor is somehow exposed to pressure variables caused by wind, prop wash or just drone movement. Landing gear rise - for example - will change pressure reading and drone attitude in result. Fast flight just above ground is a big NO, Inspire will dive and crash until you learn how to compensate with left stick. I'm very cautious performing low attitude flights. Also, Inspire 1 will move up and down when yawing in hover and when exposed to a breeze. Other than that she's a magnificent machine.

BTW, I'll recommend to perform IMU calibration after crash. Make sure she sits perfectly level on rock solid table ...

2018-6-4
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Inspire 1 was rock solid in maintaining attitude and altitude before V1.3 of the firmware.
2018-6-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-6-5 01:34
Inspire 1 was rock solid in maintaining attitude and altitude before V1.3 of the firmware.

Yep, I had that feeling as well ...
2018-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules