Phantom 4 adv battery cell broken
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
helioguerra
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133376 ft

Good evening everyone,

I do not know what to do.

My battery presented the broken cell error.

It is over 6 months old (out of warranty)

Is there really any way to save it?

What I researched the recommended is unload it up to 5% and recharge again up to 100%. However, I have seen somewhere that you need to leave it resting for 72 hours to stabilize the cells.

I also found some people talking about disassembling the battery and loading the problem cell manually - I would need a tutorial.

Someone?

Thank you very much,

2018-6-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I'm not exactly sure what triggers the "broken cell" pop up.  I think the chances are better than even that your battery is not worth trying to save.

If you wanted to try anyway, I like the 5% strategy.  

I've never heard anything about the resting thing.

Good luck
2018-6-2
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I wouldn't use that battery again.  It could cost you your drone.
2018-6-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry to read the issue. It is recommended to discharge the battery until the drone powers off, then recharge fully to see if it works. If still not, I'd advise purchasing a new battery.
2018-6-3
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2173517 ft
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-3 23:48
Sorry to read the issue. It is recommended to discharge the battery until the drone powers off, then recharge fully to see if it works. If still not, I'd advise purchasing a new battery.

I'm also testing the discharge first and then recharge it to 100%. It's now charging.. I hope this corrects the error and it's just a software glitch.

The deviation between the first 3 cells and the 4th (which has the lowest voltage) is always stable 0,1 volt but it won't allow me to fly anymore.

Are the alternative batteries I see offered at Amazon.com any good? Some people have experience with these?
Also I see some refurbished batteries by DJI, are these batteries which used to have troubles and does someone know if they are guaranteed to last as lang as new ones?
2018-9-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Safest to just buy another DJI battery.  May cost more, but you don't have to worry about the "if" factor.
2018-9-7
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-9-7 03:46
Safest to just buy another DJI battery.  May cost more, but you don't have to worry about the "if" factor.

You're right on that. When I order a real DJI on Amazon it's somewhere around €25,- cheaper than here in the Netherlands (even with shipping). So that brings te price near the fake batteries.

I'll order at DJI US then! :-)
2018-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry to read about this battery malfunction.

As advised prior, please discard it, in an appropriate recycle facility.

RedHotPoker
2018-9-7
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-9-7 11:23
Sorry to read about this battery malfunction.

As advised prior, please discard it, in an appropriate recycle facility.

There is something strange with this battery. I did the battery drain until 5% like the checklist in the app stated.
After doing that I charged the battery to 100% and when I put it back in the drone it said all is clear.

Today I wanted to fly the drone with this battery and it refused to do so because it again had a cell error.

I repeated the uncharging session (takes a long time when the drone isn't able to fly). At about 50% the deviation between the cells dropped to 0.1 volt (it started with a stable 0.19 volt).
I then turned the battery off and on again and gone are al the errors. The bird can fly...

As it's late in the evening, I now only have it running the propellers ad low speed (so now take-off) and it's already stable running for almost 15 minutes.

So my 4th cell is always a little bit off (between 0.1 and 0.2 volt). As I can see, this isn't a problem, but the drone doesn't like it... For now it looks to me I'm forced to discard a working battery. Or is it possible that after a few of these battery cycles it will become more stable again?
2018-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

This is the sad part. We don’t know. How can anyone say what might happen? Will it fly great, or fail mid flight and ruin a great day at the rc park!
If there is a good part, you have a battery that can be used for updating firmware, & flying with the Flight SIM.

If you are running the drone, without flying her, it’s a good idea to place an upturned fan blowing under the drone toward the gimbal and battery.

Chance a short flight, low and close, for the opportunity to collect the flight LOG.

RedHotPoker

2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-7 01:05
I'm also testing the discharge first and then recharge it to 100%. It's now charging.. I hope this corrects the error and it's just a software glitch.

The deviation between the first 3 cells and the 4th (which has the lowest voltage) is always stable 0,1 volt but it won't allow me to fly anymore.

Raimond, it is recommended to purchase from the local authorized dealers or authorized online stores so that the quality and aftersales can be ensured. For the refurbished products, you may visit this link: https://store.dji.com/pages/refurbished?from=store-pc-nav
2018-9-9
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-8 12:50
There is something strange with this battery. I did the battery drain until 5% like the checklist in the app stated.
After doing that I charged the battery to 100% and when I put it back in the drone it said all is clear.

"So my 4th cell is always a little bit off (between 0.1 and 0.2 volt). As I can see, this isn't a problem, but the drone doesn't like it... For now it looks to me I'm forced to discard a working battery. Or is it possible that after a few of these battery cycles it will become more stable again?"

This is a problem when the battery is nearly empty because cell 4 will run out of power before the others, which may result in a forced critical landing when you are not expecting it.  There is something wrong with the battery so it is not safe, 0.2 volts difference is too much.  Try charging it to 100% again, leave it for a day, turn it on and then plug it into the charger and wait for it to finish charging again.  Then see if it is OK, if that doesn't work then I would scrap it, or use it for parts.
2018-9-10
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-9 19:15
Raimond, it is recommended to purchase from the local authorized dealers or authorized online stores so that the quality and aftersales can be ensured. For the refurbished products, you may visit this link: https://store.dji.com/pages/refurbished?from=store-pc-nav

Hi, this was an authentic DJI battery... and.. today I bought a new one...

And hell! This also has a broken cell!!! DJI now 2 times left me with a broken battery... I don’t trust those batteries anymore now....  
Have to go back again.. change it again.. charge it again and... I think the next one will be broken also.. 66% of my DJI Batteries are broken :-(
2018-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ride to freedom, on the Underground Railroad.

Man you sure aren’t having any luck with those flight packs.

RedHotPoker
2018-9-10
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-9-10 13:21
Ride to freedom, on the Underground Railroad.

Man you sure aren’t having any luck with those flight packs.

Yes.. sometimes it's hard, there's some higher power who doesn't want me up in the air for a long time :-)

I hope to trade the new battery today or tomorrow and then have more luck.

There is one thing I saw later, the battery I already had which gives me some problems is manufactured on May 20 2016. The new one I bought yesterday is also manufactured at May 20 2016... Coincidence or...?

I also wasn't pleased to see that when I buy a brand new battery, I get one which is more than 2 years old. This one has been inactive in their storage for 2 years I think, so this won't help for the lifetime of the battery.. :-(

The battery without any problems is manufactured at May 13 2016, so it's even a week older and works like a charm!
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-10 10:58
Hi, this was an authentic DJI battery... and.. today I bought a new one...

And hell! This also has a broken cell!!! DJI now 2 times left me with a broken battery... I don’t trust those batteries anymore now....  

Sorry to hear about this. May I know where did you purchase the battery? Could you send us the battery SN and the purchase invoice for the double check?
2018-9-11
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-11 01:01
Sorry to hear about this. May I know where did you purchase the battery? Could you send us the battery SN and the purchase invoice for the double check?

The SN is: 082AD5L03102G9 and it was bought at Cameratools/Cameranu in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands
2018-9-11
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-11 06:00
The SN is: 082AD5L03102G9 and it was bought at Cameratools/Cameranu in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands

I returned the battery at cameratools.nl in Apeldoorn, The Netherlands and they were also very surprised on the manufacturing date.

The standard battery didn't include a manufacturing date on the box. The retailer gave me a replacement (high capacity for only a few euro's more, so that's very nice of them!) and that box has a manufacturing month printed on the outside (2018/07). That's better!

Now I only have to charge it and see what it does. Ofcourse I tried it once in the Phantom, it turned on without errors. Only the charge was 28% so first fully charge it at home before I really trust it.

2018-9-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-11 06:20
I returned the battery at cameratools.nl in Apeldoorn, The Netherlands and they were also very surprised on the manufacturing date.

The standard battery didn't include a manufacturing date on the box. The retailer gave me a replacement (high capacity for only a few euro's more, so that's very nice of them!) and that box has a manufacturing month printed on the outside (2018/07). That's better!

Congrats on the exchange. That’s very comforting to know you will be up and flying in no time.

Thanks for the update, with a positive outcome.

Have fun, fly safe, and always, happy landings. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-9-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-10 22:33
Yes.. sometimes it's hard, there's some higher power who doesn't want me up in the air for a long time :-)

I hope to trade the new battery today or tomorrow and then have more luck.

It’s good advice for everyone to check the “expiry date” on battery boxes before purchase. Haha

Best before. . .

RedHotPoker
2018-9-11
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-9-11 07:53
Congrats on the exchange. That’s very comforting to know you will be up and flying in no time.

Thanks for the update, with a positive outcome.

Well, it flew nicely this evening. Even with strong winds the new battery (high capacity DJI P4 battery) lasted for more than 22 minutes (and flew 4636 meters). After that I still had 22% battery left. So this high capacity battery is nice to have for the long flights!

All's well that ends well!
The photo is to show you I used the drone while walking my dog :-)
2018-9-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-11 13:10
[view_image]

Well, it flew nicely this evening. Even with strong winds the new battery (high capacity DJI P4 battery) lasted for more than 22 minutes (and flew 4636 meters). After that I still had 22% battery left. So this high capacity battery is nice to have for the long flights!

Great pic. Everyone in it is smiling too. Haha

Did you enjoy it more than the dog? ;-)
Or equally satisfied...

RedHotPoker
2018-9-11
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-9-11 15:35
Great pic. Everyone in it is smiling too. Haha

Did you enjoy it more than the dog? ;-)

Haha, the dog was quite relaxed. He sometimes found it irritating that I used him as a test-subject for Active Track ;-).

After a few minutes the dog started to follow the drone and thought he could play with it. Fortunately the drone was high enough for him so he couldn't get to it ;-).
2018-9-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-12 12:59
Haha, the dog was quite relaxed. He sometimes found it irritating that I used him as a test-subject for Active Track ;-).

After a few minutes the dog started to follow the drone and thought he could play with it. Fortunately the drone was high enough for him so he couldn't get to it ;-).

He would easily chew his way through your fun. Haha

So, Zero dogs were harmed during the making of this mini motion picture? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-9-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-11 13:10
[view_image]

A lovely picture! Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad to hear everything works well now.
2018-9-12
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

A nice update on my DJI battery experiences. The battery which was off for about 0,1 volt or sometimes more degraded a little bit more.
One day I took off and I saw a quick drop in voltage. Most of the times flying outside I only used my other 2 batteries, but I wanted to test it once more.
This quick drop in voltage made me decide to never use it again for the safety of the drone itself.

I opened a case for this battery at DJI, I could at least try this because I think it wasn't used that often so if they agree to that, maybe it would be repaired or replaced.

Within 1 day I received confirmation to send it to DJI. I did this last friday and just this monday I received word that they would replace it. They didn't see heavy usage or anything like that. Today I received a complete new battery, just charged it and it works OK!

I'm very pleased with the response of DJI Support, they confirm what I myself thought. Great work you guys of DJI!
2018-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules