Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
power bank adapter reverse function
12Next >
5125 44 2018-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
imran skywalker
lvl.1
United States

1. we all know that usb c on mavic air is not for charging.
2. the mavic air comes with power bank adapter.
    this adapter will turn your intelligent battery into power bank to charge other devices
3. will dji make another adaptor in reverse function: to charge the intelligent battery from
    external power source.
4. my suggestion is the adaptor consist of usb c, lightning and micro usb port. this will allow
    users to charge mavic air battery using their phone charger.
5. many users will benefit from this.
6. it is also a strong selling point on portability for dji.
7. win win situation, let's make this happen!
2018-6-2
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
United States

correction: adaptor ☑️ (grammar error using adapter: disclaimer before some warriors attack
2018-6-2
Use props
zwolle_rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4908 ft
Netherlands

why would you charge using an other external power source then the normal charger?

I can imagin to use a car battery so you can charge your battery while driving.. But such an adaptor is there already...

Edit: now read phone charger.... Don't think your phone charger is strong enough to charge these batteries...
2018-6-2
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
United States

zwolle_rob Posted at 2018-6-2 22:12
why would you charge using an other external power source then the normal charger?

I can imagin to use a car battery so you can charge your battery while driving.. But such an adaptor is there already...

for outdoor use. where power ports and car are not available. i am always out on fishing trip and this is a big issue. not entirely use handphone charger, use power bank via handphone charger usb cable.
2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

To do what you are talking about would require DC power coming from phone charger to be converted to AC power, the voltage increased, and then converted back to DC and regulated to correct voltage to power Mavic Air's battery charging Hub.
2018-6-2
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-2 22:28
To do what you are talking about would require DC power coming from phone charger to be converted to AC power and then bridge rectified, filtered, and regulated down to proper DC voltage to power Mavic Air's battery charging Hub.

it will worth by all means. rather having a dead drone in camping bag. some remote places deserve to be exposed from above.
2018-6-2
Use props
zwolle_rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4908 ft
Netherlands

imran skywalker Posted at 2018-6-2 22:25
for outdoor use. where power ports and car are not available. i am always out on fishing trip and this is a big issue. not entirely use handphone charger, use power bank via handphone charger usb cable.

You can try this...

https://www.dronenerds.com/produ ... es-m10-energen.html
2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

imran skywalker Posted at 2018-6-2 22:35
it will worth by all means. rather having a dead drone in camping bag. some remote places deserve to be exposed from above.

This should get you started: DKM10E-15

But at only 10-watts of output power, I wouldn't want to be one waiting around for SmartBattery to get recharged.
Probably could strap six of them together, using say six 0.1 Ohm resistors to couple output to get close to +55-watts.
2018-6-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's possible but charging a battery the size of the Mavic Air (2375 mAh) will take, well, HOURS. Not one or two - so long you'll be back home in bed before it's ready to fly = pointless.
DJI Mavic Air car charger - 48 minutes from flat to full = perfect!
2018-6-3
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
Singapore

A CW Posted at 2018-6-3 00:23
It's possible but charging a battery the size of the Mavic Air (2375 mAh) will take, well, HOURS. Not one or two - so long you'll be back home in bed before it's ready to fly = pointless.
DJI Mavic Air car charger - 48 minutes from flat to full = perfect!

phone battery 3500mAh with quickcharge does exist, the possibility is there. hours of charging is just a small issue, to be able to charge the battery overnight at campsite and having the drone good for another day is sufficient for now. of course, faster is better.
2018-6-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Your idea would be brilliant if you lived on planet earth. Our rules of physics is apparently different to yours.
From the spec for MA
Intelligent Flight Battery
Capacity  2375 mAh
Voltage 11.55 V
Max Charging Voltage 13.2 V
Phone chargers produce 5V at 2.1 amps (usually) so you are a long way from pumping energy into the battery.
12 volts is about the minimum you need to generate in a step up converter, 13 volts would be better. However this leads us to the physics and numbers. 12V / 5V = 2.4 The step up ratio  
We have 2.1 amps / 2.4 (ratio) = 0.875 amps output, assuming 100% efficiency. On earth, we cannot achieve that, so I guess 0.5 amps output is all you will get.  2.375 amps / 0.5 amp = 4.75 hours to charge 1 battery.
I hope you don't mind me pointing this shortfall out.
2018-6-3
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-3 01:32
Your idea would be brilliant if you lived on planet earth. Our rules of physics is apparently different to yours.
From the spec for MA

i barely passed physics at school, that was 20 years ago. i know a thing or 2 about electronics, that is how to replace and charge batteries. thank you for the explanation, which i believe full of facts about the topic. that's why i'm putting the idea here, so someone with the expertise will make it happen.
2018-6-3
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Most people don't realize that Air's 2375 mAh battery rating is at 11.5 Volts (3 times the voltage of a typical 18650 laptop/power bank battery), and it holds 27.42 Wh of energy.  That is roughly three quarters of a 10.000 mAh power bank. So it basically is an "airborne powerbank"...

On top of that, the charger can provide 50W of power; that is why the battery charges so fast, and that is also why multiple batteries are charged consecutively, not concurrently.  In comparison, Quickcharge 3 can provide 18W maximum. Which means even with a QC3 power bank, you would be charging at one third the speed, and using up most of your juice...
2018-6-3
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I got Spark before with small battery only 1480ma. I expected to get more flight by recharge it with USB and power bank. When I actually try that it took 2 hours to charge one battery by USB. Which is completely useless. It’s much easier just buy one more battery.

High voltage mobile power source is not common today and not cheap. If you want more flight just bring more battery. I got 4 batteries for MA. Using charge hub only need less than 4 hours to charge. I can get over one hour fly time by 4 batteries!
2018-6-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

imran skywalker Posted at 2018-6-3 01:27
phone battery 3500mAh with quickcharge does exist, the possibility is there. hours of charging is just a small issue, to be able to charge the battery overnight at campsite and having the drone good for another day is sufficient for now. of course, faster is better.

Hours of charging is a small issue? what if it's raining the next day. Buy another battery - much easier eh!
2018-6-3
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-3 07:29
Hours of charging is a small issue? what if it's raining the next day. Buy another battery - much easier eh!

slow charge is still better than no charge. i'm not gonna use drone on night time, so charging it all night long is bearable. of course having more battery is better, but having 3 batteries that is chargeable seems better option than 6 batteries for one time use only. 1 MA battery price equals 10 20000mAh powerbanks here. if i bring 3 powerbanks that can juice my phone, gopros and MA for 3 days outdoor, that will be more practical and cost effective too. the powerbank is 7 inches diagonal x 1/2 inch thick, easily sandwhiched in my MA hard case.
2018-6-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-3 01:32
Your idea would be brilliant if you lived on planet earth. Our rules of physics is apparently different to yours.
From the spec for MA

I don't believe the OP cares if it takes overnight to recharge SmartBattery, as long as it is ready for use by next morning.

You are spot on with 100% efficiency.  The DKM10E-15 device I posted link to is 87% efficient.
Might as well knock hole dream adapter down to about 75% efficient, for charge time.
2018-6-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

imran skywalker Posted at 2018-6-3 08:13
slow charge is still better than no charge. i'm not gonna use drone on night time, so charging it all night long is bearable. of course having more battery is better, but having 3 batteries that is chargeable seems better option than 6 batteries for one time use only. 1 MA battery price equals 10 20000mAh powerbanks here. if i bring 3 powerbanks that can juice my phone, gopros and MA for 3 days outdoor, that will be more practical and cost effective too. the powerbank is 7 inches diagonal x 1/2 inch thick, easily sandwhiched in my MA hard case.

You really need to find a powerbank that has multiple DC output voltages.  Like 5v, 12v, and possibly 24v.   

For that matter it would be better to have ''powerbank''** which output voltage of that of an automobile (12.6 to 13.8v), allowing one to use car adapters to provide power/charging at 5V or 12v or whatever voltages in between.

** Known commonly as Deep-Cycle Gell-Cell batteries - used on ATVs and Motorcycles.
2018-6-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

imran skywalker Posted at 2018-6-3 08:13
slow charge is still better than no charge. i'm not gonna use drone on night time, so charging it all night long is bearable. of course having more battery is better, but having 3 batteries that is chargeable seems better option than 6 batteries for one time use only. 1 MA battery price equals 10 20000mAh powerbanks here. if i bring 3 powerbanks that can juice my phone, gopros and MA for 3 days outdoor, that will be more practical and cost effective too. the powerbank is 7 inches diagonal x 1/2 inch thick, easily sandwhiched in my MA hard case.

For sure - no flying is worse than waiting several hours to fly. Agree with that and we all want that extra flight
2018-6-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-3 08:32
You really need to find a powerbank that has multiple DC output voltages.  Like 5v, 12v, and possibly 24v.   

For that matter it would be better to have ''powerbank''** which output voltage of that of an automobile (12.6 to 13.8v), allowing one to use car adapters to provide power/charging at 5V or 12v or whatever voltages in between.

Reading the OP again, this is all nonsense.
Imran suggested charging his battery from a phone charger connected to a mythical adaptor.
I showed with numbers that this is impractical.
It appears he doesn't care how long the recharge takes, because it can take all night.
A powerpack is more suitable for charging in the field, assuming you get a suitable one.
The practical solution to the Imran's needs is not the mythical adaptor, but another Mavic Air battery.
If he can't charge all the batteries together, then he could buy something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/siyangm ... ously/dp/B07BCGLN6R
and in the morning he will have them fully charged.
Have I understood his needs correctly?
2018-6-3
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Really this charging using usb c is pointless for the fact how long it would take and your MA is grounded while charging using the usb port if even possible.  Just get one of these and call it a day seriously.  This will have you going MUCH faster than if even using usb port was possible and you can keep flying.

http://www.dronevalley.com/store ... harging_System.html
2018-6-3
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-3 10:27
Reading the OP again, this is all nonsense.
Imran suggested charging his battery from a phone charger connected to a mythical adaptor.
I showed with numbers that this is impractical.

yes, i understood your facts. i don't have fair knowledge about physics and electronics, i appreciate your effort explaining the logic behind the idea. i just thought it would be as possible as the powerbank that jump start a car, i thought wrong obviously. i could hold this thought and forever wondering or ask around to better understand. i am so glad to have such feedback of knowledge, experience and recommendations.
2018-6-3
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-3 10:38
Really this charging using usb c is pointless for the fact how long it would take and your MA is grounded while charging using the usb port if even possible.  Just get one of these and call it a day seriously.  This will have you going MUCH faster than if even using usb port was possible and you can keep flying.

http://www.dronevalley.com/store/p87/DJI_Mavic_Air_-_Portable_Charging_System.html

perfect solution. have to wait availability in my area due to shipping restrictions. i need that 12v to MA battery connector and all is well. thank you sir!
2018-6-3
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

imran skywalker Posted at 2018-6-3 11:34
perfect solution. have to wait availability in my area due to shipping restrictions. i need that 12v to MA battery connector and all is well. thank you sir!

It is available elsewhere like Amazon that was just one link I have for it but know you can get it other places as well.  
2018-6-3
Use props
imran skywalker
lvl.1
Singapore

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-3 11:37
It is available elsewhere like Amazon that was just one link I have for it but know you can get it other places as well.

only available on 12v cigarette light, not the jack type unfortunately.
2018-6-3
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Singapore

The information is very limited on there. Didn’t mention how long to charge the power bank and one MA battery. Also just said can change a MA several times but no number. You better check is anyone using it and is it worth. This thing cost over USD 100. The final cost you pay may close to 2 MA batteries. In the best case it may able to charge 4 times but can be less than that. You need to judge is that cost efficient.
2018-6-3
Use props
Janek _KRK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Poland

I have 4 batteries for my MA.Recently I've purchased Car Charger for DJI Mavic AIR Drone, a gel battery 12v 7Ah (cost about 20$) and a separate socket for car cigarette lighter. Just 5 minutes work with solder and I have a power source for charging 2 MA batteries.  This gel battery is a little bit heavy - always waits in my car - I can use it after my first MA battery is empty. Using my 3 batteries will take less than hour - in this time my first battery is fully charged and in gel battery is enough power to charge another one MA battery.
2018-6-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-6-3 17:48
The information is very limited on there. Didn’t mention how long to charge the power bank and one MA battery. Also just said can change a MA several times but no number. You better check is anyone using it and is it worth. This thing cost over USD 100. The final cost you pay may close to 2 MA batteries. In the best case it may able to charge 4 times but can be less than that. You need to judge is that cost efficient.

If you look in this thread someone confirmed under an hour with this powerbank to charge the batteries.  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1389544

Either way the OP said the length of time is not an issue.  
2018-6-4
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Singapore

I see the consideration is money not time. And test results for $200 power bank (27000ma) only able to charge one MA battery. Even down to $100 and charge two batteries still not worthwhile. I just wonder is any mobile power solutions exist is more cost efficient than buy additional battery.

The $20 solutions above can charge two batteries look more useable. But converting the connection cables may cause dangerous. You really need to know what you are doing. Those large capacity power bank can cause serious damage if not doing it  right.
2018-6-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-6-4 17:38
I see the consideration is money not time. And test results for $200 power bank (27000ma) only able to charge one MA battery. Even down to $100 and charge two batteries still not worthwhile. I just wonder is any mobile power solutions exist is more cost efficient than buy additional battery.

The $20 solutions above can charge two batteries look more useable. But converting the connection cables may cause dangerous. You really need to know what you are doing. Those large capacity power bank can cause serious damage if not doing it  right.

A couple weekends back I had 4 batteries for my MP and was gone all day taking footage of Lake Tahoe.  Luckily I had my Car Inverter and brought my 3 port charger because I ended up needing 7 for all day of flying.  I figure that having both ensures that you are never caught off guard.  I ended up buying two additional batteries but my next purchase will be a powerbank for the MP.  I figure have both to be sure even if you have a bunch of batteries you still may need more lol.  I say now I am good with 6 but the example I gave I needed 7.  With 6 batteries I can ALWAYS have a couple batteries getting topped off with a battery bank to ensure I can just keep flying and not worrying that I ran of batteries and dang it I wish I had a portable charger.  
2018-6-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-4 17:44
A couple weekends back I had 4 batteries for my MP and was gone all day taking footage of Lake Tahoe.  Luckily I had my Car Inverter and brought my 3 port charger because I ended up needing 7 for all day of flying.  I figure that having both ensures that you are never caught off guard.  I ended up buying two additional batteries but my next purchase will be a powerbank for the MP.  I figure have both to be sure even if you have a bunch of batteries you still may need more lol.  I say now I am good with 6 but the example I gave I needed 7.  With 6 batteries I can ALWAYS have a couple batteries getting topped off with a battery bank to ensure I can just keep flying and not worrying that I ran of batteries and dang it I wish I had a portable charger.

Four batteries plus two more batteries.  Dang that is a lot of flying!

Have you thought about 1,000-foot extension cord?   Cutting out batteries in drone, and hook drone up to your car battery instead...

2018-6-4
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Singapore

Do you need to wait for battery to cool down before recharge? I think you need to wait at least 10 minuets to allow battery cool down after flying.
2018-6-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-6-4 18:34
Do you need to wait for battery to cool down before recharge? I think you need to wait at least 10 minuets to allow battery cool down after flying.

Yes you need to wait typically 15-30 minutes.  
2018-6-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-4 18:25

Have you thought about 1,000-foot extension cord?   Cutting out batteries in drone, and hook drone up to your car battery instead...

LOL I know I must be crazy but yes 6 batteries and that really helps now   Just got the 2 additional ones the other day.  LMFAO at the extension cord.  Flying all day without having to charge anything=WIN WIN.  
2018-6-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-4 18:25

Dang that is a lot of flying!

Indeed and why maybe 6 is not even enough.  Had the MP three months.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-151239-1-1.html
2018-6-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-4 19:40
LOL I know I must be crazy but yes 6 batteries and that really helps now   Just got the 2 additional ones the other day.  LMFAO at the extension cord.  Flying all day without having to charge anything=WIN WIN.

Have you seen the drones they are testing with Fuel Cells?  
Using hydrogen as fuel for Fuel Cells.  4 to 5 hours of flying.
2018-6-4
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Fuel cell is very expensive and heavy currently. Need to wait for long time before it can be use on small hobby drone.

New Lithium metal battery can double the power storage. This may be arriving soon but more expensive.
2018-6-4
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-3 10:38
Really this charging using usb c is pointless for the fact how long it would take and your MA is grounded while charging using the usb port if even possible.  Just get one of these and call it a day seriously.  This will have you going MUCH faster than if even using usb port was possible and you can keep flying.

http://www.dronevalley.com/store/p87/DJI_Mavic_Air_-_Portable_Charging_System.html

This is not a good product.

I called SparksBird out on his recommendation to forum members here. See thread linked below for details.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-148812-1-1.html
See post https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1219&fromuid=362069 in particular.

2018-6-5
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

@imran skywalkerThank you for putting this thread up to stimulate some suggestions and get DJI's attention.

2018-6-5
Use props
Janek _KRK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Poland

GDL Posted at 2018-6-4 17:38
I see the consideration is money not time. And test results for $200 power bank (27000ma) only able to charge one MA battery. Even down to $100 and charge two batteries still not worthwhile. I just wonder is any mobile power solutions exist is more cost efficient than buy additional battery.

No need to worry about bad connection - only two wires + (red,hot) and - (black, ground),  no electronic circuits. Just remember to charge gel battery before the trip
2018-6-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules