Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air range test FCC mode 2.4Ghz + 4Hawks Raptor SR
5038 16 2018-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevinab
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2159006 ft
Sweden

also, kinda unrelated but. anyone know when DJI is gono release a fix for the newest firmware? its aweful, the MA cant stay still at all and drifts on takeoff, landing and general hovering

2018-6-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Nice distance with the Air. Try the country side should be able to push more
2018-6-3
Use props
Kevinab
lvl.3
Sweden

Suren Posted at 2018-6-3 04:47
Nice distance with the Air. Try the country side should be able to push more

yea probably 3 or even 4 km. but semi-urban to urban areas are what most people fly in. so im very happy with 2.5Km.

i hope the mavic pro 2's Occusync does better than this without the Raptor SR and FCC mode
2018-6-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Kevinab Posted at 2018-6-3 04:51
yea probably 3 or even 4 km. but semi-urban to urban areas are what most people fly in. so im very happy with 2.5Km.

i hope the mavic pro 2's Occusync does better than this without the Raptor SR and FCC mode

I'M sure it will. Should be similar to the current MP/MPP, we just have to wait and see
2018-6-3
Use props
Kevinab
lvl.3
Sweden

Suren Posted at 2018-6-3 04:53
I'M sure it will. Should be similar to the current MP/MPP, we just have to wait and see

the sad thing is that toggling the MP into FCC mode is wayy harder than the MA. thats why im worried, because from my experience the MA is totally crippled in signal strength in CE mode
2018-6-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Kevinab Posted at 2018-6-3 04:56
the sad thing is that toggling the MP into FCC mode is wayy harder than the MA. thats why im worried, because from my experience the MA is totally crippled in signal strength in CE mode

I live in a CE area but getting FCC distance, i can fly just over 6km here. There was a video i watched on youtube sometime back and it allowed a file to be put into the itunes folder for iphone which changed the signal to FCC. Now at home were i used to get cut off at 3.5 km i now get around 4,5km in full urban area. No different app Same Dji Go4 app
2018-6-3
Use props
Kevinab
lvl.3
Sweden

Suren Posted at 2018-6-3 05:01
I live in a CE area but getting FCC distance, i can fly just over 6km here. There was a video i watched on youtube sometime back and it allowed a file to be put into the itunes folder for iphone which changed the signal to FCC. Now at home were i used to get cut off at 3.5 km i now get around 4,5km in full urban area. No different app Same Dji Go4 app

so just to clarify. even in CE mode(no modifications) your getting 3km+ of range and no lag?. like stable signal to were you can focus on details you wana film and not have to fly at 150m to stay connected?
2018-6-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Kevinab Posted at 2018-6-3 05:08
so just to clarify. even in CE mode(no modifications) your getting 3km+ of range and no lag?. like stable signal to were you can focus on details you wana film and not have to fly at 150m to stay connected?

Correct, no signal boster nothing getting 4.5km in Urban and just around 6km semi. waiting to go to the country side to try in a proper open field should get just over 7km(hopefully)
2018-6-3
Use props
Kevinab
lvl.3
Sweden

Suren Posted at 2018-6-3 05:13
Correct, no signal boster nothing getting 4.5km in Urban and just around 6km semi. waiting to go to the country side to try in a proper open field should get just over 7km(hopefully)

damn never thought CE mode would be so good on the MP. imagen FCC :O
2018-6-3
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-6-3 05:13

Should be able to no doubt in a open area for sure.  
2018-6-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-3 05:20
Should be able to no doubt in a open area for sure.

You knocking the distance much more then me
2018-6-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Kevinab Posted at 2018-6-3 05:19
damn never thought CE mode would be so good on the MP. imagen FCC :O

Guys in an FCC area have got more then 7km good example is Sparks below, he clocked just over 7km
2018-6-3
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Having never heard of 4Hawks Raptor SR's, after looking it up, I was blown away by them! But then I looked at the process of actually installing them, and went NO WAY HOSÉ!

I picked up a pair of those clip-on antenna adaptors from Amazon and field tested them, and found they provide nearly the same signal range boost as the 4Hawks, but just clip onto the existing antenna's and don't require modifying the RC to use them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also seen a Spark have its range dramatically increased with the use of these.

I think for most people flying MA's or Sparks, this is a more practical solution than going all-out with 4Hawks.

Still impressive to see them in action!
2018-6-3
Use props
Kevinab
lvl.3
Sweden

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-3 10:12
Having never heard of 4Hawks Raptor SR's, after looking it up, I was blown away by them! But then I looked at the process of actually installing them, and went NO WAY HOSÉ!

I picked up a pair of those clip-on antenna adaptors from Amazon and field tested them, and found they provide nearly the same signal range boost as the 4Hawks, but just clip onto the existing antenna's and don't require modifying the RC to use them.

huh. trust me those range extenders are nothing compaired to the raptor. the raptor is an entirely different antenna, all the range extenders do is focus the power output of the 360 antennas to a 180 degree field, effectively giving off a little more strength.

the Raptor SR is a "blaster" type antenna, meaning it blasts out the signal like a balloon: Image

this resoults in much higher DBi gains. i 2x-ed my 3 bar signal distance and 1.5x-ed my 2 bar signal distance from 1500m to 2000(2500 if i push it)
2018-6-3
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Kevinab Posted at 2018-6-3 11:07
huh. trust me those range extenders are nothing compaired to the raptor. the raptor is an entirely different antenna, all the range extenders do is focus the power output of the 360 antennas to a 180 degree field, effectively giving off a little more strength.

the Raptor SR is a "blaster" type antenna, meaning it blasts out the signal like a balloon: Image

But at the end of the day, where would you use this range?

Almost everywhere in the world, it’s illegal to fly beyond VLOS, and usually beyond 500m anyways. With the MA, one tends to lose sight of it around 200-250m anyways, so the only real legal benefit for something like the Raptor’s is signal strength / integrity.

And at VLOS / legal flight ranges, the range extenders that attach to the existing antenna’s are completely adequate.
2018-6-3
Use props
Kevinab
lvl.3
Sweden

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-3 14:43

Almost everywhere in the world, it’s illegal to fly beyond VLOS, and usually beyond 500m anyways. With the MA, one tends to lose sight of it around 200-250m anyways, so the only real legal benefit for something like the Raptor’s is signal strength / integrity.

yes, i rarely fly beyond 1200m for filming. the antenna isnt just for range, its more for having a solid connection like Occusync but with the MA
2018-6-4
Use props
wantedlynx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 689787 ft
Philippines

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-3 14:43

Almost everywhere in the world, it’s illegal to fly beyond VLOS, and usually beyond 500m anyways. With the MA, one tends to lose sight of it around 200-250m anyways, so the only real legal benefit for something like the Raptor’s is signal strength / integrity.

I purchased the 4hawks raptor for hope of video integrity (connection), whereas distance is secondary. I still do VLOS and rarely do kilometers in semi-urban, because if I can't see it i get worried. Before 4hawks I suffer video lag after only 200m. Those lags can cause you delayed reactions where it may be too late to avert a damage, a crash, or similar. I lost my 1st MA due to that. On my 2nd MA, my use of parabolic reflector improved it somehow but there is that lag when you turn sudden directions.
Maybe i'm used to the connection quality of my former P3, it's what I want for my MA. I will be testing it this weekend.
2018-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules