Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What have I got wrong, is it just White balance?
1140 9 2018-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft

Hi, only second flight really and I have setting set to others suggestions.  The image seems too light, set to sunny and the video still looks very washed out.  Any suggestions appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61t2cohvhfclc5u/washed.mp4?dl=0

Thanks
2018-6-3
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Are you using ND filters! and what settings did you use.... ISO, Shutterspeed! Have you turned on exposure warning in settings, really helps getting exposure right.
2018-6-3
Use props
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

Knowing what settings you were using  other than white balance would help us give suggestions. What color profile were you using? Many people suggest D-Log or D-Cinelike, but those will look washed out unless you do some color grading while editing the video. Also, was it actually sunny? It's hard to tell, but I didn't see any hard sunlight.
2018-6-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keep your ISO at 100 and increase your shutter speed until the exposure value is -0.7 to 0. You will need ND filters to keep the shutter speed lower and thus increase the motion blur in video if needed.
2018-6-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

As others have said, to help you, we need to know what your video settings were for this shot.
Without seeming rude, do you know where the settings all are? This excellent guide will get you started.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=118959

Did you know that you can play about with your camera settings, without actually flying?
Set everything running, but don't run the motors or take off. Set the drone on a chair, pointing at something with light + dark + sky + ground so you have a range of colour and lighting.
Take your stills and very short vids (focus each time) and then you can review the results without the worry/distraction of flying.
You can also lift the drone and gently pan around like a hand held movie camera. Typically to see the effect moving from bright sunlight to shade might have.
Forget ND filters at this stage. Keep life simple with auto, for now and then progress to manual when you understand what is going on with your settings.

You might be surprised at what you discover that you like.
2018-6-3
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4

As per my first line "I have setting set to others suggestions" from online videos and other sources so yes I know where the settings are, I will put them up here later.  Everything is Auto except for white balance and no filters as yet.  Not bright sun but a bright day.  Last week I tried all in auto but the picture was even more washed out so I thought I would at least stabilise the WB.  The suggestion to hold it about in varying lights is a good idea, I will use that and see where we go.  Thanks for the input.
2018-6-3
Use props
Fingers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1365676 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldn't get too hung up.  You have got a full range of tones captured; and the scene you are capturing is a difficult one for the sensor to handle. I agree, it is a little over exposed, but not by a huge amount. I would recommend keeping an eye on the histogram whilst flying and use the exposure wheel to keep the full tonal range within the histogram.
2018-6-3
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4

Fingers Posted at 2018-6-3 10:15
I wouldn't get too hung up.  You have got a full range of tones captured; and the scene you are capturing is a difficult one for the sensor to handle. I agree, it is a little over exposed, but not by a huge amount. I would recommend keeping an eye on the histogram whilst flying and use the exposure wheel to keep the full tonal range within the histogram.

Thanks, very big learning curve but I just love the little Mavic Pro.  Had a couple of sport mode runs and it sure can fly.  Prefer it in P mode, bought it for pictures not racing, I just like the way it simply hovers when I let go of the sticks if I get a little disorientated.   Technology is unbelievable in such a small package.
2018-6-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Rockbyter Posted at 2018-6-3 09:47
As per my first line "I have setting set to others suggestions" from online videos and other sources so yes I know where the settings are, I will put them up here later.  Everything is Auto except for white balance and no filters as yet.  Not bright sun but a bright day.  Last week I tried all in auto but the picture was even more washed out so I thought I would at least stabilise the WB.  The suggestion to hold it about in varying lights is a good idea, I will use that and see where we go.  Thanks for the input.

You do realise that white balance is to do with colour temperature and not at all to do with exposure, don't you?
The colour temp on a sunny day will give a warmer tone to the light. To compensate so the pure white content will look pure white your colour temp setting should be Sunny.
If the same scene is taken under an overcast sky, the pure white will look colder (bluer) so to correct it, you would set the colour temp to overcast.
And so on. Nothing to do with exposure. It is a way of getting the footage consistent with the prevailing light, even artificial light.
2018-6-3
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4

Again thank you, I will have to check all these settings again just to be sure.
2018-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules