Drifting/Unstable
12Next >
4015 68 2018-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

So received my replacement MA and took it out for its maiden flight today. Everything is updated and calibrated etc.
First flight went 100% but on my second flight it was very unstable and then suddenly just started drifting away on its own at a pretty fair speed. Took awhile for it to respond to the controls but I was able to get it back to me safely.
Scared as **** now to take it up again.
Any clue as to what is gong on?
2018-6-3
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Refresh the FW and app and calibrate the IMU and see if it makes a difference.
2018-6-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Did anything change between first and second flight?  Know what firmware revision MA is running?  What revision of GO-4?

Can you upload your FlightData records for second flight to PhantomHelp's Online FlightData reader, then post a Link here?
2018-6-3
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-3 09:45
Did anything change between first and second flight?  Know what firmware revision MA is running?  What revision of GO-4?

Can you upload your FlightData records for second flight to PhantomHelp's Online FlightData reader, then post a Link here?

Nothing changed between flights  and as stated earlier everything is updated to latest releases.
Only way I was able to regain control was to hit the RTH button which proceeded it to land where it was not where it took off. I cancelled the RTH and was then able to gain control via controller.
2018-6-3
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Reinstalled FW via assistant will see if that fixes it.
All I can say is scary stuff to see your drone taking off on its own and you have lost control over it.
2018-6-3
Use props
Ovi 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 351545 ft
United States

Try calibrating the control I had the same issue and the control will just go to the left without me touching anything,
2018-6-3
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Ovi 1 Posted at 2018-6-3 15:21
Try calibrating the control I had the same issue and the control will just go to the left without me touching anything,

Calibrate the controller? Not sure how to even do that.
2018-6-3
Use props
Ovi 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 351545 ft
United States

Select remote and then remote controler calibration
2018-6-3
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Ovi 1 Posted at 2018-6-3 15:33
Select remote and then remote controler calibration
[view_image]

Thanks will have a look at that next time I go out and fly it.
2018-6-3
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I can only assume heavy interference between either the RC or MA or both? Did you notice if the frequency changed between 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz while this was happening?
2018-6-3
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-3 16:06
I can only assume heavy interference between either the RC or MA or both? Did you notice if the frequency changed between 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz while this was happening?

No and was flying in the exact same location for both flights.
2018-6-3
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-3 16:46
No and was flying in the exact same location for both flights.

You could re-calibrate the Remote Controller as may be there were incorrect inputs being recognized from calibration?
2018-6-3
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-3 19:27
You could re-calibrate the Remote Controller as may be there were incorrect inputs being recognized from calibration?

Yes that has already been suggested.
Thanks
2018-6-3
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Can you post your flight log? mayby its something else, i.e. not finding satellites or....

cheers
JJB
2018-6-4
Use props
Kevinab
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2159006 ft
Sweden

tbh .400 has given me drift problems lately aswell. something is horribly coded in this release. i might just take a look at the code myself and see what they changed to make it so crappy at being in one position
2018-6-4
Use props
Neal McGuire
lvl.2

United States

Since is landed at a site that was not where it took off, that sounds like a GPS issue. How many satellites did you have at takeoff? Did that number drop during the flight?
2018-6-4
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kevinab Posted at 2018-6-4 08:40
tbh .400 has given me drift problems lately aswell. something is horribly coded in this release. i might just take a look at the code myself and see what they changed to make it so crappy at being in one position

Yeah, after the .400 update, I no longer have any clue what my MA is going to do.  Maybe 1 flight in 5 is without issue and there seems to be no rhyme or reason.  I've refreshed and re-calibrated everything a half-dozen times. Dismayed at the moment.
2018-6-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Thank you for that information. Let us try to do these steps and let us see if it makes a difference. Please refresh the DJI Assistant 2 Firmware and please calibrate the IMU as well. I will post the link for the DJI Assistant 2 Firmware.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads

Thank you.

2018-6-4
Use props
Scoobywrx05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 917844 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-4 09:26
Good day. Thank you for that information. Let us try to do these steps and let us see if it makes a difference. Please refresh the DJI Assistant 2 Firmware and please calibrate the IMU as well. I will post the link for the DJI Assistant 2 Firmware.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads

Why do you think refreshing the firmware will solve any problems when so many of have already done that a number of times with to no avail of fixing said problems? You know there is a problem with the firmware 400 that was released. It has been documented through a number of people on here as well as other places. All we want is for your company to stop giving us the run around and fix the problem. If your company can not fix the problems in a timely manor ( which it’s been a month already so what is the hold up) we request that the old 300 firmware be released so we may be able to once again fly our drones without having to worry to much. Thank you for your time.
2018-6-4
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Scoobywrx05 Posted at 2018-6-4 21:01
Why do you think refreshing the firmware will solve any problems when so many of have already done that a number of times with to no avail of fixing said problems? You know there is a problem with the firmware 400 that was released. It has been documented through a number of people on here as well as other places. All we want is for your company to stop giving us the run around and fix the problem. If your company can not fix the problems in a timely manor ( which it’s been a month already so what is the hold up) we request that the old 300 firmware be released so we may be able to once again fly our drones without having to worry to much. Thank you for your time.

With these canned and scripted responses, I'm starting to think this is no longer incompetent support staff responding...

I think they are doing this deliberately to try and make it seem, to people who just walk into the thread and read it for the first time, like it's a simple thing, so that their reputation won't be damaged, which it is right now, badly!

Trying to appease customers with the issues by acting stupid and giving idiotic "tips" not relevant to the situation, knowing there is an issue, won't stand!

I've published a review on the Apple Canada website detailing all the top issues with the MA as of .0400, pointing people to this forum and MavicPilots.com, and guess what? Apple has published my review and posted for everyone to see considering the MA...

You better get your act together if you don't want a major PR disaster!
2018-6-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-5 13:04
With these canned and scripted responses, I'm starting to think this is no longer incompetent support staff responding...

I think they are doing this deliberately to try and make it seem, to people who just walk into the thread and read it for the first time, like it's a simple thing, so that their reputation won't be damaged, which it is right now, badly!

Please try to be a bit more friendly and patient with DJI Stephen. He has only started his very challenging job a few days ago and merits the necessary time to acquire some experience...
2018-6-5
Use props
Scoobywrx05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 917844 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-5 13:16
Please try to be a bit more friendly and patient with DJI Stephen. He has only started his very challenging job a few days ago and merits the necessary time to acquire some experience...

Well this is a first good experience for him then and I hope he gets use to it because it will happen . Welcome aboard. I don’t blame or am mad at anyone on here. They are doing what they are told to do.
2018-6-5
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Due to the back luck I had with the 1st MA I had (dust behind lens) I am now really “nervous” of flying this thing.
Really hard to consider the possibilty that $1,500.00 cdn may take on a mind of its own and just fly away from me.
Not sure may just hold out for a new FW which is really bullcrap to have to do.
2018-6-6
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Ok so finally got some time to try out my MA today.
I re installed latest firmware via assistant then deleted and re installed dji go 4 app on my phone.
I am happy to say that I ran 3 batteries through and my MA worked 100% perfect even with a wind going on!

Took a few spehere panos now have no clue how I view them?
2018-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-16 14:59
I re installed latest firmware via assistant then deleted and re installed dji go 4 app on my phone.
I am happy to say that I ran 3 batteries through and my MA worked 100% perfect even with a wind going on!

Good job might encourage others with similar problems.
2018-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I re installed latest firmware via assistant then deleted and re installed dji go 4 app on my phone.
I am happy to say that I ran 3 batteries through and my MA worked 100% perfect even with a wind going on!

Good job might encourage others with similar problems.
2018-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-5 13:04

You might now see his advice worked.
2018-6-16
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Also forgot to mention I did not have to calibrate anything just took it out set it up and took off.  
Like I said had a bit of a wind going on so I never really went over 200 feet high but MA remained very stable as it should.
2018-6-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-6-4 08:57
Yeah, after the .400 update, I no longer have any clue what my MA is going to do.  Maybe 1 flight in 5 is without issue and there seems to be no rhyme or reason.  I've refreshed and re-calibrated everything a half-dozen times. Dismayed at the moment.

I no longer have any clue what my MA is going to do.

SkyNet testing out its newly found powers with MA drones.
Or randomized obsolescence coding, to make Pilots believe their drones are worn out, and its time for replacement.

2018-6-16
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

That is great seems like it worked out.  Is why it is always recommended to try this first.  Now go and put some well deserved miles on the MA.  
2018-6-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I re installed latest firmware via assistant then deleted and re installed dji go 4 app on my phone.
I am happy to say that I ran 3 batteries through and my MA worked 100% perfect even with a wind going on!

Possibilities:
1) Firmware failed to install properly
2) GO-4 app failed to install properly
3) Both Firmware & GO-4 app failed to install properly
4) Previously used firmware updater has problems
5) DJI's GO-4 app installer has problems
6) Both previously used firmware updater and GO-4 app installer has problems.

Being several people have mentioned some (or all) their problems going away after reinstalling Firmware, and DJI support has repeatedly suggested reinstalling Firmware.  1 & 4 are most likely.

One thing is for sure, Firmware update process is not verifying firmware update afterwards.  Otherwise, people would be seeing Error messages about failed firmware upgrade.

The idea that Firmware and/or GO-4 have to been re-installed (or re-re-installed) is crazy.  Firmware and GO-4 app are binary, not A.I. analog.  

2018-6-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

mavic airs appear to to have a drinking problem as of lately....
2018-6-16
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Did the ultimate test last night.
Went up in the dark to shoot a local fair to get all the stunning colors. I could not see or hear my drone at all and was a fair distance away from the fair itself. I have to say the MA performed flawlessly!
The moment of truth was when I hit the RTH button and it came home.
2018-6-17
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-17 08:48
Went up in the dark to shoot a local fair to get all the stunning colors. I could not see or hear my drone at all and was a fair distance away from the fair itself. I have to say the MA performed flawlessly!

My advice is not to let your guard down...

I picked up a second MA for testing, and it too performed flawlessly for the first few flights / batteries, now it's begun exhibiting yaw and roll issues that have been widely reported here by other MA pilots.

On some occasions, recalibrating everything on the MA seems to help for a while, and sometimes even permanently solve the issues, but many pilots, like myself, have performed these re-calibrations more than half a dozen times, and in each case, the drone will perform properly for a handful of flights, then resume the erratic behaviour.

Do not trust it until DJI releases a firmware that fixes this crap, and if you do choose to fly, keep a close eye on it, and definitely try to keep it within VLOS and don't fly in overly congested areas.
2018-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Good to hear, a lot of problems we see can easily be sorted with a little savvy and help , and you will get plenty of help here on this forum. Good job, enjoy the flying and fly safe.
2018-6-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Good to hear you have resolved the problems you had with your Mavic Air. Just remember to carry out your pre-flight checks and all should be good now.
2018-6-20
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-17 12:11
My advice is not to let your guard down...

I picked up a second MA for testing, and it too performed flawlessly for the first few flights / batteries, now it's begun exhibiting yaw and roll issues that have been widely reported here by other MA pilots.

This is where I'm at.  Waiting....tick-tock...for new firmware.  If that doesn't solve it, it's going back.
2018-6-20
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Well it happened again.
My MA suddenly shot off on its own and once again the only way to regain control was to hit the RTH button which luckily brought it back to near where it took off.
So disappointed, guess ill have to contact DJI yet again.
Ugh
2018-6-24
Use props
jerrytko1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 280722 ft
United Kingdom

Waaaaaa it happened to me today. Was on the hike found a nice spot so i took Mavic out. Set up did compass calibration got it up in the air. About 20 metres from me. Let the sticks go to set up the camera for the shot and as i look on the app i seed the picture moving. Looked up where Mavic is and he was happily drifting to the right so moved the stick to put him back to same position. Let go the stick and he started drifting again. So  went up and down a bit. Left and right and then it stopped and stop on the spot as it should.   But i can say i am glad i am not a person who is panicking and have lot of hours flying drones. If inexperienced pilot it can cause collision ot if i was in the tighter space.

Well lucky for my but it would be very kind from DJI if they finally released fix for this because it is almost two months now on .0400 very buggy firmware.
2018-6-24
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Total Flight Time - 51 mins
Total Distance - 11,470 ft
Total Flights - 9
2018-6-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced