RTH does not work
1251 15 2018-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
N4eow
lvl.1

I cannot get the Phantom 3 Standard to RTH when that option is selected when selecting either aircraft position or my position option and Set it.  It tells me the position has been sucessfully set as home position and it has been up dated. I am getting flashing green indicator lights.   But when flying and I select the RTH either on the display or with S2 toggle,  the aircraft decends and lands from its present position in flight.  It does not return to me or the aircraft position originally selected as home point.  It was working perfectly until the Phantom was not used for about 6 months.  Everything else seems to be working  normally.  I wonder if "Resetting to factory setttings" might be an option.  Instructions say the S2 can be used for that purpose but no place can I find what to do with the S2 to reset Factory saettings.   HELP!  251 533-0042. DON HUGHES
2018-6-3
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Are you activating RTH within a 20m radius by any chance?
Within that radius the drone just lands where it is.
2018-6-3
Use props
N4eow
lvl.1

I do not recall that being the case before but hopefully that is the problem.  I see no place instructions tell you that.  Thanks so much I'll  find more space and try.  Thanks Eric.
2018-6-3
Use props
N4eow
lvl.1

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-3 13:57
Are you activating RTH within a 20m radius by any chance?
Within that radius the drone just lands where it is.

I put my replay in wrong place....just learning this Forum.  I do not recall that being a requirement before but hopefully that is the case.  Will find more safe space and try it.  No place do I find that requirement stated but there are a lot of other things not stated that one needs to find out from folks like you...thanks Eric.
2018-6-3
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

N4eow Posted at 2018-6-3 14:06
I do not recall that being the case before but hopefully that is the problem.  I see no place instructions tell you that.  Thanks so much I'll  find more space and try.  Thanks Eric.

It is actually in the manual, page 13. There are so many things about drones to learn and it's easy to skip something.

Yes - I find the forum also very helpful. If I would only go by the manual without getting tips
from other people here I think I would have lost my drone a few times already ;-)
RTH.jpg
2018-6-3
Use props
N4eow
lvl.1

Thanks again....I think that could be stated a little more clearly,,,,it makes more sense now...thanks again.
2018-6-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi N4eow, the P3S doesn't have the option to reset to factory settings, sorry about this. Please refer Eric's suggestion to test this feature in open place to see whether it is this case.
2018-6-4
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

N4eow Posted at 2018-6-3 14:27
Thanks again....I think that could be stated a little more clearly,,,,it makes more sense now...thanks again.

"it makes more sense now..."
Can you explain the sense, i newer got the sense of that behavior as i can imagine many situations you don't want it to land where it is just because it is within 20 meter from home.
2018-6-4
Use props
N4eow
lvl.1

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-4 02:10
Hi N4eow, the P3S doesn't have the option to reset to factory settings, sorry about this. Please refer Eric's suggestion to test this feature in open place to see whether it is this case.

Thank you especially for the factory reset infoI have a lot to learn...it isan amazing machine!
2018-6-4
Use props
N4eow
lvl.1

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-4 02:30
Can you explain the sense, i newer got the sense of that behavior as i can imagine many situations you don't want it to land where it is just because it is within 20 meter from home.

I agree but just so you know is important.  I was in a pretty tight space and should have tried it in open space first.  ThNks.  BTW. n4eow is my ham call.
2018-6-4
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

"Can you explain the sense..."

You are right. So far I couldn't find an explanation why they programmed it like that.
Maybe they think within that radius you can run towards the drone and grab it rather than having it go up into the trees ;-)
Whoever doesn't know about it and is on a boat is gonna have a bad day for sure :-)

2018-6-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

i can imagine many situations you don't want it to land where it is just because it is within 20 meter from home
But can you imagine many situations where you would initiate RTH when the Phantom is less than 20 metres away?
I don't know why DJI programmed it this way but the only people that this affects are nervous new flyers trying RTH for the first time.
2018-6-4
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-4 13:37
i can imagine many situations you don't want it to land where it is just because it is within 20 meter from home
But can you imagine many situations where you would initiate RTH when the Phantom is less than 20 metres away?
I don't know why DJI programmed it this way but the only people that this affects are nervous new flyers trying RTH for the first time.

No i can't but obvious many are using this function to get their aircraft home whatever it is close or distant and as being a "Return to home" feature it should aim to get back to the takeoff point within the margin of the 1.5m precision and not just go down where it is.
It is programmed to behave like this and i just don't get the reason why, as claimed, it makes no sense for me.

I only has used the manual RTH once as i am obligated to according to our rules. I didn't like it, i found it to be very slow and the final landing was way to hard in my opinion.
2018-6-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-4 21:52
No i can't but obvious many are using this function to get their aircraft home whatever it is close or distant and as being a "Return to home" feature it should aim to get back to the takeoff point within the margin of the 1.5m precision and not just go down where it is.
It is programmed to behave like this and i just don't get the reason why, as claimed, it makes no sense for me.

No-one knows why it is like that.  It just is.
I only has used the manual RTH once as i am obligated to according to our rules. I didn't like it, i found it to be very slow and the final landing was way to hard in my opinion.
RTH is a great tool and very reliable if the user knows how it works and how to use it.
You don't have to let RTH do all the driving and land for you though.
You can let RTH turn the Phantom around and start coming home.
Then when it's on course, simply cancel and take over.
2018-6-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I like to set my battery values at 30% warning and 20% critical battery value.
This gives me time to reenter my battery values and change it to 10% critical, allowing full control to land and maneuver the drone if need be.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

N4eow Posted at 2018-6-4 06:16
Thank you especially for the factory reset infoI have a lot to learn...it isan amazing machine!

My pleasure. Should there are any further questions, feel free to contact us.
2018-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules