Traveling to US and Canada with Mavic Air
3268 20 2018-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hi there,

I am totally new to drone flying. I shall be going on a 2.5 month motorcycle trip from Reno to Alaska (Dead Horse?) in 2 weeks. This is on my bucket list so I thought to myself that I should bring back some good memories by taking some video with a drone. Hence, the Mavic Air I just purchased. Now I am told that many countries have restriction on bring in and operating a drone in their countries. I have googled this and found confusing information. All I need to know is:

1. Can I bring my Mavic Air into USA and Canada as a non US citizen.
2. Can I operate this drone in USA and Canada just to take some travel video (observing the No-Fly-Zone limites).

Any advise or point to the right directions will be much appreciated.

Safe flying,

Franki

2018-6-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Good day! Please be advice that we are currently confirming this information from our management. Please wait for the answer. Thank you for your patience.
2018-6-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Sounds like it will be a very fun road trip.  I live in Reno/Sparks and fly my drone quite often.  Just stay away from the NFZ typically the airports and you are good.  Download UAV Forecast as this will show you the NFZ map so you can plan ahead.   Make sure that your batteries are drained to 30% before traveling with.  Other than that not sure what else am sure others will chime in.
2018-6-4
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

You'll need to register if you want to fly with the FAA once you get to the U.S. https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/
2018-6-4
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-4 06:56
Good day! Please be advice that we are currently confirming this information from our management. Please wait for the answer. Thank you for your patience.

Really looking forward to get some official support from DJI.
2018-6-4
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-4 07:03
Sounds like it will be a very fun road trip.  I live in Reno/Sparks and fly my drone quite often.  Just stay away from the NFZ typically the airports and you are good.  Download UAV Forecast as this will show you the NFZ map so you can plan ahead.   Make sure that your batteries are drained to 30% before traveling with.  Other than that not sure what else am sure others will chime in.

Thanks for the tipps. I'll be staying for a few days in Reno to prep the motorcycle for the long trip, it would be nice if we can meet up and you can teach me a few things about flying the drone. I have done some practicing here in HK but feel there is a lot more practice needs to be done. None of my friends here fly drones.
2018-6-4
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-4 07:14
You'll need to register if you want to fly with the FAA once you get to the U.S. https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/

I did looked up the FAA website and tried to download the NFZ for studying. However, I couldn't even register and login from HK.
2018-6-4
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

you won't need to study for anything.  as long as you are flying as a hobbyist, all you need to do is have your drone registered.  This will cost $5 USD - https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/registration/

then, as Sparks said, stay away from NFZs and you'll be fine.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!
2018-6-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Franki Posted at 2018-6-4 07:36
Thanks for the tipps. I'll be staying for a few days in Reno to prep the motorcycle for the long trip, it would be nice if we can meet up and you can teach me a few things about flying the drone. I have done some practicing here in HK but feel there is a lot more practice needs to be done. None of my friends here fly drones.

Sure that is not a problem just PM me when you will be here and we can meet up at a very large park here that I go flying quite often.  
2018-6-4
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Franki Posted at 2018-6-4 07:32
Really looking forward to get some official support from DJI.

Don't bother with DJI "support", all they do is post pleasantries with no substance or useful assistance.

Here is the link to Canada's drone laws:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-respecting-use-model-aircraft.html

If your drone is under 1KG (2.2lbs) then you don't need to register or do anything special, just fly within the bounds set forth by Transport Canada for Recreational UAV flight.

I'd also get the AirMap app on your device, as it combines the local regulations of where you're flying, along with almost ALL the airspace zones and restrictions. VERY useful app!
2018-6-4
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

3-D Posted at 2018-6-4 07:44
you won't need to study for anything.  as long as you are flying as a hobbyist, all you need to do is have your drone registered.  This will cost $5 USD - https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/registration/

then, as Sparks said, stay away from NFZs and you'll be fine.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to register with FAA as and when I have arrived in the US. Any advise about Canada?
2018-6-4
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-4 09:11
Sure that is not a problem just PM me when you will be here and we can meet up at a very large park here that I go flying quite often.

That would be great to have someone experienced to share some skills. I'll PM you when I have landed. My ETA Reno is around June 27. Thanks in advance.
2018-6-4
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Franki Posted at 2018-6-4 19:00
Thanks, I guess I'll have to register with FAA as and when I have arrived in the US. Any advise about Canada?

I don't know what to do about Canada.
Registration only takes about 5 minutes, and you get your number immediately, so you won't be forced to wait to fly.
2018-6-4
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Franki Posted at 2018-6-4 19:00

This is the exact question that pertains to what you are doing.

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you may complete the process provided in the web-based registration portal for section 336 aircraft. The agency will consider the certificate that is issued to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration. These conditions are consistent with and impose no greater burden than the requirements imposed on U.S. citizens conducting model aircraft operations in the U.S.

This is what i could find about Canada:

2018-6-4
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

3-D Posted at 2018-6-4 19:17
This is the exact question that pertains to what you are doing.

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?

Wow, thanks for clearing that up for me. I am happy to know I can still get registered. Got to respect the laws of countries I am visiting.
2018-6-4
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-4 18:09
Don't bother with DJI "support", all they do is post pleasantries with no substance or useful assistance.

Here is the link to Canada's drone laws:

Thanks for the info, mate. Now I know how to follow the rules in Canada. Hope I'll get some good footage.
2018-6-4
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Franki Posted at 2018-6-4 21:28
Wow, thanks for clearing that up for me. I am happy to know I can still get registered. Got to respect the laws of countries I am visiting.

Glad to help.  Especially when someone is trying to make sure they stay within the boundaries.  The industry needs pilots that take this kind care in flying.

Thanks!
2018-6-5
Use props
bradzilla
First Officer
Flight distance : 40453 ft
  • >>>
Canada

For Canada: (assuming you aren't travelling with a Large drone)

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... safely-legally.html

in short:

Review these rules before flying a drone for fun, if the drone weighs over 250 g and under 35 kg. If your drone is 250 g or less, read our tips for flying safe.

Following the safety rules helps keep people, aircraft and property safe. If you fly where you are not allowed or you break the rules below, you could be fined up to $3,000.

Fly your drone:
below 90 m above the ground
at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
outside of controlled or restricted airspace
at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
during the day and not in clouds
within your sight at all times
within 500 m of yourself
only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number
DJI Go-4 app has the No-Fly zones etc in it for Canada already.
2018-6-5
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

3-D Posted at 2018-6-5 02:17
Glad to help.  Especially when someone is trying to make sure they stay within the boundaries.  The industry needs pilots that take this kind care in flying.

Thanks!

From my many years of international travel, respecting local laws and tradition is the best way to experience that country.
2018-6-5
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

Hong Kong

bradzilla Posted at 2018-6-5 05:28
For Canada: (assuming you aren't travelling with a Large drone)

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... safely-legally.html

That is very detail. Thanks. I stand educated.
2018-6-5
Use props
Franki
lvl.1

United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-4 09:11

Hi Sparkbird,

I apologize for not contacting you while I am in Reno. My motorcycle has developed some problem and needs to be repaired while in Reno. So I have no time to fly the drone. I am late on my travel schedule and needs to get out of town as soon as possible. I shall be back in Reno early Sept. from Alaska and if possible, we can meet up to discuss our experience.
2018-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules