Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone down, my recovery adventure
1437 16 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

The other day was unfortunately my bird's last flight, and it turns out I was documenting my day, so you can see the misadventures here:

One of the most upsetting parts about the whole thing was that the memory card and battery were ejected and I lost all the footage, crash included.

Here are a few things I'd like to see on future upgrades to their products:
· Snapping memory card door on camera. Card should not be exposed and able to pop out upon collision. I'll be putting gaffers tape over it each flight on my new setup.
· Battery locking. There should be an arm or clip that secures battery further. The two side lips are not enough. Again, should not be able to easily eject upon collision.
· Aluminum propellers. It seems almost every crash I've seen, and now experienced, is when ANYTHING comes in contact with a blade, and this is the weakest and most vital part of the drone. If propellers were more durable, it'd prevent many of the crashes seen.

Also another short piece in Leavenworth, using both the Inspire 1 and the Ronin w/ Sony FS100:

2015-5-14
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

How did the bird hit it? On take off or....?
2015-5-14
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

I feel for you my friend.  That is really bad luck.  I am amazed you are still smiling.  Kudos to you and I hope you are back in the air soon.

Jason
2015-5-14
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-5-14 23:55
How did the bird hit it? On take off or....?

It happened mid flight, about a half mile away. I was trying to avoid them, and when I was coming down over a ridge, it started spinning and dropped.
2015-5-14
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

If I was you, I would have looked for the bird and made fried chicken out of it.
2015-5-14
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hats off to you mate for making and posting those great videos up. Whats the plan about getting the inspire repaired?
2015-5-14
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow bro, I'm sorry for your loss. I could send you a few bucks to help you get started on a new purchase if needed.
2015-5-14
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Sorry to hear and see about the inspire brother!  Quick question for ya, when you made the short "Leavenworth" what were the settings for the inspire?  4k 24fps?
2015-5-14
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

iamintricate@gm Posted at 2015-5-15 00:03
It happened mid flight, about a half mile away. I was trying to avoid them, and when I was coming  ...

I think this is the first reported case of a bird hitting an Inspire I will help donate if you decide to buy another
2015-5-14
Use props
averbouwens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss.  I too, lost my Bird 1, only mine went in the river, never to be recovered.  Hope to see you back in the air soon.
2015-5-14
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-5-15 01:17
Wow bro, I'm sorry for your loss. I could send you a few bucks to help you get started on a new purc ...

Awe man, you're way too kind. Really appreciate the offer! Already picked up a new 1.
2015-5-14
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-5-15 01:26
Sorry to hear and see about the inspire brother!  Quick question for ya, when you made the short "Le ...

I was shooting 1080 @ 60fps. 4K is too crunchy and sharp, especially when trying to style match the footage from other cameras, and I like to slow down footage on some of those movements.
2015-5-14
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-5-15 03:39
I think this is the first reported case of a bird hitting an Inspire  I will help donate if you  ...

Awe man, you too, way too kind!! I'm already back up in the air.
2015-5-14
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

iamintricate@gm Posted at 2015-5-15 08:36
Awe man, you too, way too kind!! I'm already back up in the air.

Excellent man, have fun flying and please keep posting!
2015-5-14
Use props
Airosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Good luck next time.
Sometimes shit happens and yes, we learn from it.
2015-5-14
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing your story and keeping things in the proper prospective! It was terrible to see your inspire so badly damaged and the great attitude you had afterwards. Glad to see that you are back in the air and we look forward to some other video posts that do not end in disaster.... I liked your little dog too

Rich
2015-5-14
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

You sir, are truly an Inspiration to us all!! Thank you so much for sharing and I'm thrilled to read that you're already back in the air!

Cheers!
2015-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules