Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Spark Pilots - Info&Errors on ATTI / Compass / GPS Satellites
393251 393251 2018-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Hey Guys, found some Video Tutorials which you can find useful especially for New Pilots.

I think they are some of the Best - Covering ERRORS concerning - ATTI / Compass / GPS Satellites

Share your Knowledge on these Forums, as we are seeing lots of so called Fly Aways, and Unfortunately some New Pilots Panic and won't know what to do if something happens !
These Videos may be a Big Hard to understand at the Beginning, but they are VERY IMPORTANT ! If you have questions post here on the Forum and many will Help You !

Some Important Things to always keep in mind -

1) PreFlight Check List - Check Compass Icon Direction on App with the Aircraft (They must Match Direction) / Sensors / Battery Latches / Props / Everything is Charged 100% / Etc.. (I have done a Long List - There is a Link Below for a Good Forum Post by Hallmark007)
2) On Take Off make sure that HomePoint is Recorded
3) Fly in VLOS (Line of Sight)
4) Avoid Wind or Bad Weather
5) Plan ahead your Shooting and Spot an Area to make Emergency Landing
6) DO NOT PANIC if the Drone goes to ATTI, most of the time the Controller will still work and there will be connection between Drone and Remote, so try Manually bringing it back or landing ASAP ! If you are experiencing a lot of Interference try changing location.
7) Fly within the Rules / Law of your Country

Enjoy Flying and Fly Safe !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Video explains ATTI + 3 Other Videos Below (Part 1 / 2 /3) explain the Errors and Different Scenarios

ATTI Mode - What it means and how it works
Spark can Switch to ATTI Mode (When losing GPS Signal or Compass Error) and may drift away with Wind Currents if you don't Manually control it as it won't hold GPS Position - Really Worth Watching

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

PART 1

Errors - They Explain ATTI / GPS Satellites Positioning / Compass Errors in Deep - Really Worth Watching

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

PART 2

Errors - They Explain ATTI / GPS Satellites Positioning / Compass Errors in Deep - Really Worth Watching

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

PART 3

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

This is Very Important for all Pilots

Here is a Link for - PreFlight Check List -

https://forum.dji.com/thread-84181-1-1.html

Here is a Link for - Avoiding Compass Interference -

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 4222&fromuid=260008

Credits go to my dear friend - hallmark007

2018-6-5
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
United States

good summary!

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Thank You Dread.

Spreading all the Knowledge to help many New Pilots.

Being Aware of what is happening to the Spark or other Drone will make Aware whats going on, I love the saying - 'Be Prepared !'  
2018-6-5
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Thank you.  Will review.
2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Northwood Posted at 2018-6-5 06:13
Thank you.  Will review.

You are Very Welcome Northwood !

2018-6-5
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

I traveled 1200 miles to central Florida.  Flew the drone to take some photos of an alligator.  I didn't re-calibrate the compass but did check how the icon was moving versus the controller and how accurate it seemed to be.  It was pointing where the camera was pointing in my hand.  It might have been good to re-calibrate but the DJI Go app didn't call for one.

I did check the channel page to make sure the old people in the area weren't blanketing the spectrum with noise (Andy Griffin and Lucile Ball wifi broadcasts).  Flew fine.
IMG_1093.JPG
2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-6-5 09:21
I traveled 1200 miles to central Florida.  Flew the drone to take some photos of an alligator.  I didn't re-calibrate the compass but did check how the icon was moving versus the controller and how accurate it seemed to be.  It was pointing where the camera was pointing in my hand.  It might have been good to re-calibrate but the DJI Go app didn't call for one.

I did check the channel page to make sure the old people in the area weren't blanketing the spectrum with noise (Andy Griffin and Lucile Ball wifi broadcasts).  Flew fine.

Hello Gunship,

Nice to hear from You Buddy ! You are a DareDevil taking that Photo ! Really nice picture ! I can see the Spark reflection too.

When you say you checked the icon with the controller, you do that when its on the ground or when u take off and hover at around lets say 1 to 2m Altitude ?

Thanks for your help Gunship ! Really happy to speak to you Buddy !

2018-6-5
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Again,, sorry to be the nay sayer in this...
1. New user's usually first discovver forums, AFTER flyaways, and they come whixxx/complaining here about their error40 crash.
2. Us phone ONLY users, whitout a RC. Have no clue whatsoever on , if our calibration is true and spot on.. We have to use 3.rd party app like VR PRO or SPARK PRO to have a live feed minimap.
Other then that i hear your message....   And routine,,routine and routine.
2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Joller79 DK Posted at 2018-6-5 10:43
Again,, sorry to be the nay sayer in this...
1. New user's usually first discovver forums, AFTER flyaways, and they come whixxx/complaining here about their error40 crash.
2. Us phone ONLY users, whitout a RC. Have no clue whatsoever on , if our calibration is true and spot on.. We have to use 3.rd party app like VR PRO or SPARK PRO to have a live feed minimap.

Joller, I agree with you but - You know what ?

I have NEVER done a Single Flight Yet. As I am still waiting for the Insurance for both my DJI Spark and Mavic Pro Platinum.

I spent over 2 months reading and watching videos to learn before I fly.

I am a Precautionist I know, many of those who know me tell me I worry too much.

2018-6-5
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-5 09:47
Hello Gunship,

Nice to hear from You Buddy ! You are a DareDevil taking that Photo !  Really nice picture ! I can see the Spark reflection too.

He was a small alligator in the back yard of the house we were at.  He kept trying to catch a crane (the bird).

I always hand launch.  I move the Spark around and check that the icon is correctly oriented and following the nose of the aircraft.  Then I double tap to get the gesture mode take off.  Use the controller to take it up to 30 feet for a good look at home point and then switch out of gesture mode.

Easy to tell you forgot to get out of gesture mode because video won't work in that mode.  But you can easily fly it around with the controller even in gesture mode.
2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-6-5 11:39
He was a small alligator in the back yard of the house we were at.  He kept trying to catch a crane (the bird).

I always hand launch.  I move the Spark around and check that the icon is correctly oriented and following the nose of the aircraft.  Then I double tap to get the gesture mode take off.  Use the controller to take it up to 30 feet for a good look at home point and then switch out of gesture mode.

Thanks Gunship I learned something New from You again, about Hand Launching !

I think you can use Hand Launch when you are on a Boat right and when you have uneven surfaces ?

Really helpful as always !

So much Obligated Sir !

2018-6-5
Use props
Sibstr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288940 ft
Czechia

Very useful information for new owners of DJI Spark!
But I am afraid that this topic will ends up in abyss of history in a few days because many people can't use the search function.
2018-6-5
Use props
Bender1031
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209938 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing!  Those videos really do a good job of explaining the different parts and why the components could fail.
2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Sibstr Posted at 2018-6-5 12:05
Very useful information for new owners of DJI Spark!
But I am afraid that this topic will ends up in abyss of history in a few days because many people can't use the search function.

Most Important that You know about them Sir !

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Bender1031 Posted at 2018-6-5 12:32
Thanks for sharing!  Those videos really do a good job of explaining the different parts and why the components could fail.

Happy you like them.

As a New Pilot myself, I do a lot of Study how Stuff Works before I actually use the Items.

This minimizes the Risks that I come in a Situation where I don't know what to do. Always Be Prepared for the Worst ! I am a Bit Pessimistic but sometimes I helps me stay Aware not to Abuse.
2018-6-5
Use props
62+
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1321991 ft
South Africa

Thank you very informative and glad I've viewed all 3 videos.
2018-6-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

62+ Posted at 2018-6-6 06:06
Thank you very informative and glad I've viewed all 3 videos.

They are a bit long, especially 'Part 2' but worth every minute, I think.

Knowing into Deep, how the Drones works especially Delicate Parts like GPS / Compass / IMU, can make you Prepared against All Odds and be aware how to Handle a Situation.

Glad you like them Brother ! The more we Share and Learn the Better Persons we become.

2018-6-6
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Thank You mate for taking care on this extremely important issue! The education is very important part to become experienced pilot
2018-6-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

nixuspix Posted at 2018-6-6 07:56
Thank You mate for taking care on this extremely important issue! The education is very important part to become experienced pilot

You are far more than Welcome Nixus !

Its a Pleasure to Share what I read, learn, experience with all of you Guys.

Thats the Beauty of a Forum. Cu Brother !

2018-6-6
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Second Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Very good job with this post!
2018-6-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-6-6 12:11
Very good job with this post!

Thank you Aurelian, its a bit important to know the cause of these Compass Error so we can try to avoid problems as much as possible.

Reading, Watching Videos, Tutorials etc.. It is time consuming, but in the long run worthed.

When I know something New or Intersting I will always share it with my Friends.

2018-6-6
Use props
GOSpark
lvl.2

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-5 03:07
Here is a Link for a PreFlight Check List -

This is Very Important for all Pilots

in the checklist, its says map cached. How do you do this?
2018-6-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

GOSpark Posted at 2018-6-6 18:03
in the checklist, its says map cached. How do you do this?

I use an IPhone 7+ and Cache the Area just before Takeoff by Connecting to the Internet. I don't know about Androids, not using Androids any more for Drones. I believe same can be done, or better as you can use Offline Maps (Pre Downloaded Maps on your Android Device).

I have a Portable Wifi Key Device. Gives me access to the Internet, where ever I go, it works with a 2yr Contract with my Mobile Company and uses a Sim - Data Plan is 12GB per Month.

Then when happy I switch the Wifi Key 'OFF' so that I don't Occupy Wifi Channels. Here we use 2.4GHz in Europe. The CE Mode Power for 5.8GHz is a Joke.

If you have Cellular Data 'ON' you don't need to Cache.

2018-6-7
Use props
GOSpark
lvl.2
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-7 00:50
I use an IPhone 7+ and Cache the Area just before Takeoff by Connecting to the Internet. I don't know about Androids, not using Androids any more for Drones. I believe same can be done, or better as you can use Offline Maps (Pre Downloaded Maps on your Android Device).

I have a Portable Wifi Key Device. Gives me access to the Internet, where ever I go, it works with a 2yr Contract with my Mobile Company and uses a Sim - Data Plan is 12GB per Month.

DMX, i have iphone 8. how do i download a map to cache? This will be useful for me when i go to Europe and do not have data plan. thanks.
2018-6-7
Use props
Aju Eapen
New

I purchased a spark last month.before that am using phantom pro 4.the problem am facing in spark is can't change from 5.8 GHz to 2.4 GHz .I tried a so many time with the instructions of dji support . problem still now.in 5.8 GHz I can't fly more than 40 metres hight and 100 metres length.am from India and here the frequency is 2.4 GHz.can you help me.thank you
2018-6-7
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Before every flight I check the IMU and COMPASS. If the numbers oscillate too much (even when its only on green) I do not take off before making sure the numbers are completely stable with very little oscillation. Sometimes moving it a few meters is enough but when it still oscillates I recalibrate.
After all the parameter are stable I turn it on, wait for at least 10 satallites then I set the home point manually. I check the map to make sure the AC is heading the same direction as shown. I move it a little to check if it moves in the same way on the map.
I take off, its gonna set the home point automatically so I check it once more. Leave it hovering for few seconds while I check the strenght of the signals (RC+GPS). Check how responsive it is to my controls.
I know its kind of obvious but I also realised that its really important to calibrate without the OTG cable. You gotta calibrate using the Wi-Fi. If you use the OTG its most likely the calibration wont be accomplished.
ALWAYS AVOID METAL STUFF. ALWAYS.
If even after all these steps the drone flew away it would definitelly be the drone's fault. But I'm sure all these steps really decrease the chances of a fly away.
Hope I was useful.
Thanks for the thread my friend. You are awesome!

2018-6-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-6-7 11:00
Before every flight I check the IMU and COMPASS. If the numbers oscillate too much (even when its only on green) I do not take off before making sure the numbers are completely stable with very little oscillation. Sometimes moving it a few meters is enough but when it still oscillates I recalibrate.
After all the parameter are stable I turn it on, wait for at least 10 satallites then I set the home point manually. I check the map to make sure the AC is heading the same direction as shown. I move it a little to check if it moves in the same way on the map.
I take off, its gonna set the home point automatically so I check it once more. Leave it hovering for few seconds while I check the strenght of the signals (RC+GPS). Check how responsive it is to my controls.

You are Awesome Brilhas !

Your procedure is done in the correct way. Nothing to add to it. This can teach many new pilots to follow these few steps and fly with peace of mind.

In the beginning you can write them on a notebook, and by time they will become a Routine you will remember by heart.

Thank you for Sharing this Brilhas, your Comments are Most Valuable and Appreciated !

2018-6-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

GOSpark Posted at 2018-6-7 09:18
DMX, i have iphone 8. how do i download a map to cache? This will be useful for me when i go to Europe and do not have data plan. thanks.

Hello Go,

Just open DJI GO4, press on the Map (While connected to the Internet). Zoom on the area where you will be flying and move around to AUTO Cache the Images on the Map.

Make sure you don't turn off your IPhone, else you risk to lose the Cache.

Then go to your Spot and the Images of the Map will show.

Try it and let me know if all is good.

2018-6-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Dear Brilhas can you please elaborate a bit regarding the following parts please -

1) You calibrate by removing OTG Cable ? What difference will it make with OTG or Without OTG, can you explain please ? When you say calibrate you mean the Compass only ?

2) I think you are using IOS right ? Did you find any problems with OTG Support with the Latest Version of the DJI GO4 App ? You are using the v4.2.16 ?

Thanks you so much Brilhas.

2018-6-7
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Brazil

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-7 15:30
You are Awesome Brilhas !

Your procedure is done in the correct way. Nothing to add to it. This can teach many new pilots to follow these few steps and fly with peace of mind.

Hey man,
How you doing?
Usually we are so excited to fly that we can easily skip a step. Patience is the key, no rush, take the time to triple check all parameters. Every single flight. Chances to have a flyaway are much lower.
Thanks for the thread man, very important one!!!!!!   

2018-6-8
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-6-8 06:36
Hey man,
How you doing?
Usually we are so excited to fly that we can easily skip a step. Patience is the key, no rush, take the time to triple check all parameters. Every single flight. Chances to have a flyaway are much lower.

Thank you Brilhas, I Love your Contributions, you know me well !
2018-6-8
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Brazil

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-7 15:39
Dear Brilhas can you please elaborate a bit regarding the following parts please -

1) You calibrate by removing OTG Cable ? What difference will it make with OTG or Without OTG, can you explain please ? When you say calibrate you mean the Compass only ?

1) You calibrate by removing OTG Cable ? What difference will it make with OTG or Without OTG, can you explain please ? When you say calibrate you mean the Compass only ?

I can be completely wrong man, but I think the compass won't calibrate with the OTG cable. About the IMU I cant say.

2) I think you are using IOS right ? Did you find any problems with OTG Support with the Latest Version of the DJI GO4 App ? You are using the v4.2.16 ?
Yeah, I use an Iphone 7 plus. No, I'm not running the latest version, i'm running a previous version and so far I havent found any issue regarding the OTG. I'm upgrading the app this weekend I let you know. Alright?

If you have any doubt, please feel free to ask. It's always a pleasure to help.
C u my friend!
2018-6-8
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Before every flight I check the IMU and COMPASS. If the numbers oscillate too much (even when its only on green) I do not take off before making sure the numbers are completely stable with very little oscillation. Sometimes moving it a few meters is enough but when it still oscillates I recalibrate.
After all the parameter are stable I turn it on, wait for at least 10 satallites then I set the home point manually. I check the map to make sure the AC is heading the same direction as shown. I move it a little to check if it moves in the same way on the map.
I take off, its gonna set the home point automatically so I check it once more. Leave it hovering for few seconds while I check the strenght of the signals (RC+GPS). Check how responsive it is to my controls.

BrilhasMuito,

Why do you say "You gotta calibrate using the Wi-Fi. If you use OTG its most likely the calibration wont be accomplished".
Please explain.

For the past 8 months I am flying only on OTG since DJI cannot get WiFi between Android device and RC to be up to my standards. Problems with video lag, jittery video etc. OTG does not suffer from the same issues even though DJI says they officially do not support OTG. They support bad WiFi and not good OTG - go figure. Of course OTG works only on few DJI GO versions: versions preceding 4.1.16 and now on 4.2.12. Any other version does not work well or does not work at all with OTG. I am talking about Android - not iOS.

I do calibrations and flights with OTG only, never WiFi, with no problems whatsoever so would like to understand your statement.
2018-6-8
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-6-8 06:56

I can be completely wrong man, but I think the compass won't calibrate with the OTG cable. About the IMU I cant say.

Thank you my dear friend Brilhas !

I asked you what difference will it make to use the OTG, as when you set the Spark into Calibration Mode, within each step the Spark will send the info to the Phone via Wifi as you said, but if you use the OTG from Remote to Phone, you are just replacing the 2nd Wifi connection between the Remote and Phone.

I will give it a try because this made me Curious.

Let me know about the Latest Update maybe when I finish my work these coming 2 weeks I will have some time to go out and test my Spark. Weather is changing to Summer here already, so it will be Safer to Fly.

Big Hug Buddy ! Thank you so much !

2018-6-8
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-8 07:19
BrilhasMuito,

Why do you say "You gotta calibrate using the Wi-Fi. If you use OTG its most likely the calibration wont be accomplished".

Hello Mirek,

So it is possible to Calibrate with OTG right ? Thank you for helping us. I am sure Brilhas will try it out, and he never suggests something he is in doubt of. I know him very well, that all his comments are based upon his own experiences. So if he never tried it, he won't mislead you. We always have Very Interesting discussions together. Hes my Best Friend here !

I am very happy that the OTG work out well for you Mirek, I think if it worked on Android, it must work on IOS. Thank you for your contribution Sir !

2018-6-8
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-6-8 06:56
1) You calibrate by removing OTG Cable ? What difference will it make with OTG or Without OTG, can you explain please ? When you say calibrate you mean the Compass only ?

BrilhasMuito,

Just saw you reply to my question which you gave to DMX_MT.

You admitted that you may be wrong and I believe that you are. Compass is on Spark so whether phone communicates with RC via WiFi or OTG does not matter.

What does matter though is that during Compass calibration Spark is away from your phone. Perhaps a meter or so. Mobile devices are sources of magnetic interference.

Same with IMU calibration. It is totally on Spark and type of connection between mobile and RC does not matter. Also, since IMU is not magnetically sensitive, whether you calibrate it close or far away from mobile, does not matter either.
2018-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules