524 12 2018-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheLazyC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone on here every fly arond the Virignia Beach area? Specifically within the Class C and Class D Airspace around Oceana NAS? I contacted them today to see if I could get permission to fly my P4PV2.0 next week and they gave me a telephone number to call.

Lots of air space around there, just curious if it is a waste of time or they will allow it. I requested 100" above ground for 30 minutes or less 2.3 miles from their location.

Thanks
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello! I appreciate you taking time inquiring this information to us. You can check in this link: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map what kind of geo zone of a specific location you are referring to. You can also contact flysafe@dji.com to ask more information. Thank you for your understanding.
2018-6-5
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-5 13:09
Hello! I appreciate you taking time inquiring this information to us. You can check in this link: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map what kind of geo zone of a specific location you are referring to. You can also contact  to ask more information. Thank you for your understanding.

So who is consider Authorized?

Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.
Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.
2018-6-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Please tell us what you're flying - it would be either Part 101 or Part 107.  Then we can answer your question.
2018-6-5
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-5 14:20
Please tell us what you're flying - it would be either Part 101 or Part 107.  Then we can answer your question.

This flight would be Part 101 Recreational, however I am a Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate Holder with a Daytime Waiver.  

I have never flown into Class C or Class D airspace with my drone so have never asked permission before.

We are actually camping there and I just like to capture our campsite and surrounding area with the drone..
2018-6-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Okay.  So since it's Part 101, and since it's not Class B, you don't have to ask permission.  All you have to do is notify them which means give them a call, tell them you're flying your drone x miles from the airport to the (north, south, etc) , the altitude AGL and the time.  Your flight sounds low enough and far enough where they won't be concerned.   They should thank you for calling.  They might ask you to call again when you're done and that should be it.  

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CF ... 14-vol2-part101.xml

Good luck
2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-5 13:56
So who is consider Authorized?

Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.

The authorized person for this will be the DJI Fly Safe team. You can contact them by sending an email to flysafe@dji.com.
2018-6-6
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-6 05:31
The authorized person for this will be the DJI Fly Safe team. You can contact them by sending an email to .

What does "limited" mean? Is it DENIED all together or limited by altitude or distance?
2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-6 05:38
What does "limited" mean? Is it DENIED all together or limited by altitude or distance?

Which are you referring to?
2018-6-6
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-6 05:42
Which are you referring to?

2018-6-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

The limitation is that it won't let you fly into these zones or from these zones unless you have self-authorized.  

Both the green enhanced warning zones and the yellow authorization zones are easily unlocked.  I like to do it from my desktop.  

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

But then I would sign onto the app with my mobile device and my AC on within range of my wifi router signal so that the no fly map within my AC can be updated indicating that it's authorized to fly in that zone.  It's good for three days if you do it from the desktop.  

My understanding is, your height may be incrementally restricted depending on how far you are from the airport, regardless of your being authorized.  But the yellow zones are usually only about a mile and a half in radius.  I have not tested this but it's explained in the manual.  They would not affect you from your description in the OP.  

Also, don't confuse DJI geo map authorization with FAA or airport authorization.  They are completely independent of each other.  

Good luck
2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-6 05:56

It refers to the altitude and distance. For you to be an authorized user, you should send an email to flysafe@dji.com first, providing the documents needed, to ask for authorization and they will give you an instruction on how to unlock it.
2018-6-6
Use props
Tearuup
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123763 ft
United States

Haven't flown there yet but may go down in Sept.  Going to Yorktown beach in a few weeks, will let you know how that goes.
2018-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules