Threads detailing SERIOUS issue with Mavic Air FW v01.00.0400
43371 694 2018-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Following serves as example of why people are getting unhappy or fed-up with what has been going on with firmware and updates.
(Leaving poster name out)

I have used both DJI Go app and Assistant 2 to update the firmware of  the controller dozens of times.  Same result everytime.  

Assistant gets  hung up at 66% then controller proceeds to beep.  DJI Go 4 app gets hung  up at 72% then proceeds to beep.

How many times have we read about update or install process repeadetly failling?   

Too many!

2018-6-6
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-6 04:50
I don’t believe in the US we have a law for ~7% failure rate needing any addressing.   Maybe other parts of the world do, I cannot speak for any other nation I just know that usually what happens in the US atleast is once people get annoyed enough they venture into the legal rabbit hole.

As for other countries with stricter standards and a physical failure rate percentage limit.  I’m sure Dji and other companies are in violation, but how can you prove it one way or the other when Dji refuses to even acknowledge anything negitive exists..?  Left with barrage of complaints that could be factual or false..

Actually my numbers and my post talk exactly about US law. In Europe is a bit different.
2018-6-6
Use props
latinheart83
lvl.1
Spain

Okay, well - Just got my Mavic Air yesterday - and immediately updated to 0400 firmware .. but with it being connected to my Mac, not by air :-)

And I don´t have any of the mentioned problems. Even the yaw problem, or the compass problem - nothing !

But, let me tell you guys something...

I bought the Mavic Air 1 month ago and received it. Than I couldn´t remove the ring to swap filters - so I called DJI and their support immediately reacted and wanted me to send it in, to replace the mavic air with a new one. But I already had the 0400 firmware installed on my "old" mavic air - and with that one, I had compass problems all the time (recalibrating compass) ! Which really was annoying. But that was the only issue I had (and the problem with changing filters).

Anyway, than I received the "swapped" mavic air, completely new !! .. (congrats to the awesome support by DJI).
And as mentioned above, installed the new 0400 firmware to the mavic and updated the control - all by being wired to my Mac.

Tested it, and it flys perfectly ! No issues with Yaw, no Issues with calibrating the compass - in fact - I didnt even need to calibrate it by unboxing it and trying it out in fron of my house.

Soooooo, after this experience and all the readed threads - I think !! ... the problems occur with different models ! not with all of them ! ....

I hope DJI will find a solution soon !

Hope that helped you guys !

Best greetings from Germany !
2018-6-6
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-5 14:00
Many if not most of the threads you have in your post are from the same people. No threads have been deleted because no threads get deleted on this forum you will find them in service etc.

Many of the users on mavicpilots are the same users here so this may not be any indication that problems are growing.

"no threads get deleted on this forum"

This is not true. DJI admins deleted some threads and posts during the Phantom 4 failware saga.
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

latinheart83 Posted at 2018-6-6 23:43
Okay, well - Just got my Mavic Air yesterday - and immediately updated to 0400 firmware .. but with it being connected to my Mac, not by air :-)

And I don´t have any of the mentioned problems. Even the yaw problem, or the compass problem - nothing !

I'm very glad that you had a great experience with DJI Support.  I'm also glad that you're able to fly now, with no problems.  And thanks for your input.  This is just more confirmation still that the problem is on particular devices, and not all of them.

The question, then, is  will those devices that are still having issues still have isssues once the new firmware is released?
Only time will tell...

Thanks!
2018-6-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

latinheart83 Posted at 2018-6-6 23:43

Glad to hear the replacement unit is behaving well for you!

I actually performed an experiment yesterday too... Since there are several Apple stores in my area, and Apple is a certified retailer for DJI in Canada, with a no-hassle return policy, I went out and picked up another MA to bring home and see what happens...

Before even activating the drone, I hooked it up to my Mac and performed a FW update to .0400 (it came with the original .0000 build) via Assistant 2 1.2.4, factory reset it, same to the RC (which BTW I can never seem to factory reset, two controllers tried now), and took it outside to calibrate the compass, and perform a test flight. I deliberately didn't calibrate the IMU or VPS, as I wanted to see how they would perform.

App indicated the IMU has 0.0001 deviation, so was working good. Took it up, and as it should, went up smoother than silk, no motor or prop stutter, and hovered as if it was mounted to a pole. Flight was almost flawless; it still seems to lose altitude if flown below 10ft off the ground, and the VPS sensor always reads 0.1m even when sitting on the ground.

But overall, the second unit flew as I expected it to, and as mine did when I first got it.

This definitely confirms that there's either an issue with certain batches of these drones, or the firmware upgrade process somehow borked them; I originally upgraded to .0400 from .0300 via DJI GO 4 OTA, and subsequent refreshes via Assistant 1.2.3/4 didn't seem to do much. It also confirms the issue is real, cause now I have two MA's, and one flies perfectly, the other makes me want to bite my nails off!
2018-6-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 04:50
I'm very glad that you had a great experience with DJI Support.  I'm also glad that you're able to fly now, with no problems.  And thanks for your input.  This is just more confirmation still that the problem is on particular devices, and not all of them.

The question, then, is  will those devices that are still having issues still have isssues once the new firmware is released?

I guess that will depend on whether it's the firmware that is having the issue with certain batches of hardware, or whether it was the update process that was damaging the FW somehow...

In some instances, once a FW has been corrupted, it may be necessary for the affected units to get swapped out, so they can be upgraded using the corrected method to prevent corruption...
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-7 08:25
I guess that will depend on whether it's the firmware that is having the issue with certain batches of hardware, or whether it was the update process that was damaging the FW somehow...

In some instances, once a FW has been corrupted, it may be necessary for the affected units to get swapped out, so they can be upgraded using the corrected method to prevent corruption...

yep.    that's what led me to the question of if the updated firmware will even fix the still affected ones.
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-7 08:22

I actually performed an experiment yesterday too... Since there are several Apple stores in my area, and Apple is a certified retailer for DJI in Canada, with a no-hassle return policy, I went out and picked up another MA to bring home and see what happens...

@Edison1979 “There is ZERO logic in your recommendations, as replacing the drone with another unit “

It amazing what 24 hours will do, maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to shoot the messenger around here, for one who thought there was ZERO logic in replacing your MavAir, you do exactly that and hey presto you got one like the vast majority.

You should remember before you rubbish forum members and moderators, that these folk spend their time trying to help others.

I’m glad you got a working unit I hope it goes well for you, and my advice still stands to all who don’t have a unit that works well, USE YOUR WARRANTY that may have a much bigger impact in getting dji to sort stuff out.
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 09:24
@Edison1979 “There is ZERO logic in your recommendations, as replacing the drone with another unit “

It amazing what 24 hours will do, maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to shoot the messenger around here, for one who thought there was ZERO logic in replacing your MavAir, you do exactly that and hey presto you got one like the vast majority.

hallmark007 - my advice still stands to all who don’t have a unit that works well, USE YOUR WARRANTY that may have a much bigger impact in getting dji to sort stuff out

Agreed!  

DJI having to deal with problems, which takes resources and $$$, is going to get DJI's attention.  

2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

From your description, and assuming this held true for others, it appears there was some different revision parts used in drones.  A revision that is susceptible to .400, but not .000 / .300 firmware.

Another reason why DJI should have re-issued firmware .300.
Another reason why DJI's installer should first make an Image of Mavic / RC, store image on device being used for upgrade or microSD card of drone; then do install.  And add option to installer to revert to selected backup images.
2018-6-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 09:55
From your description, and assuming this held true for others, it appears there was some different revision parts used in drones.  A revision that is susceptible to .400, but not .000 / .300 firmware.

Another reason why DJI should have re-issued firmware .300.

This is exactly why I wanted to confirm this theory, as others have claimed this cannot be the case...

Honestly, not many device makers, whether routers, switches, IoT's, or drones, seem to offer this sort of roll-back capability unless the device is classified as a "mission critical" device, or something close to that priority, or is a commercial, non-consumer product.

Motherboard makers have adopted failsafe BIOS update protections and roll-back abilities for some time now, due to all the fried MOBO's caused by incorrect updating or power failures, so it would be, I'd think, mandatory, for a company like DJI to adopt this same principle to their drones, considering a failed or corrupted update can result in an unstable, or even dangerous, piece of equipment.
2018-6-7
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft

@EdisonW1979
@latinheart83

Just curious, did you perform a hover test above VPS range, like > than 60 feet and try all 4 directional quadrants to see if any drifting was demonstrated?

Mine does not drift when being aided by the bottom sensors.  It also drifts faster when starting from some quadrants vs others and this appears to change over time.

The rapid yaw “glitch” or “tick” happens on mine randomly at any altitude.

2018-6-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-7 12:13
@EdisonW1979

Just curious, did you perform a hover test above VPS range, like > than 60 feet and try all 4 directional quadrants to see if any drifting was demonstrated?

@Brantel,

I took the second MA out to about 650ft lateral distance and 260ft altitude, but only for a quick flight, as it was getting close to dusk. During that flight, it exhibited no signs of drifting or yaw twitch, but it was a limited flight.
I also performed a precision take off to 20ft, and then brought it back down to 6ft, and at both altitudes, it hovered flawlessly.

I plan on taking it on more extended flight sessions today after work, as it will be the last day of flying weather around here until next week, and I'll report back with any observations.

Cheers
2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 09:24

It amazing what 24 hours will do, maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to shoot the messenger around here, for one who thought there was ZERO logic in replacing your MavAir, you do exactly that and hey presto you got one like the vast majority.

What a good outcome and you have brought it to the point!
2018-6-7
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-7 12:17
@Brantel,

I took the second MA out to about 650ft lateral distance and 260ft altitude, but only for a quick flight, as it was getting close to dusk. During that flight, it exhibited no signs of drifting or yaw twitch, but it was a limited flight.

Awesome thanks for the follow up!  
2018-6-7
Use props
UAVNV
lvl.2

United States

Some real forum sliding going on here, I feel compelled to address comments made here by hallmark and watchberger.

These guys would make you almost believe that this is your fault, and are moving the conversation off track on purpose. It's not your fault. They are here as 'one of you' but are not.

the fact that there is a catastrophic failure in any industry where failure result in injury, this is not something DJI can address, which is why what you might refer to as 'fanboys' for the company are deeply involved in forum sliding many conversations, like this on in particular.

To keep the topic on track, with the software issue some are having it would be best to unlock those accounts to allow these users to roll back to the previous version as an option.

scared to fly it, its your fault, just wait. This is unacceptable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it lowers the quality of your standards as a consumer.

2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

UAVNV Posted at 2018-6-7 12:47
Some real forum sliding going on here, I feel compelled to address comments made here by hallmark and watchberger.

These guys would make you almost believe that this is your fault, and are moving the conversation off track on purpose. It's not your fault. They are here as 'one of you' but are not.

It’s funny your answer is to roll back to .300, yet some complaining about weak transmission in .400 but in fact 10 times more complaining about it in .300, so for some jumping from the frying pan into the fire, the simple fact just as many had problems with .300 and taken into account that there are by now many more MavAir owners.
Roll back to a former problem FW notably .300 is your utopian solution , while trying to talk out the side of your mouth about those who not only gave the solution to the OP but it seems like it worked as he said himself, but also explained in detail what happens in these situations, I don’t believe FW problems are ever users fault, having had plenty of issues with FW updates,

Lastly if the problem is so big and catastrophic can you show us here since you brought it up how many crashes it caused how many have been injured and how much property has been damaged, or are you just continuing to talk out the side of your mouth.
Fact is there will be no roll back but all MavAir are under warranty and it’s a simple process to return for a drone that the vast majority are quite happily using
2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Some real forum sliding going on here, I feel compelled to address comments made here by hallmark and watchberger.

These guys would make you almost believe that this is your fault, and are moving the conversation off track on purpose. It's not your fault. They are here as 'one of you' but are not.

Which aircraft are you flying? Not a Mavic Air as it looks like. Interesting and very telling indeed how many pilots NOT flying Mavic Air express strong opinions in this thread... They must have priviledged sources for their "truth"... Oh yes, nowadays it's called "Alternative Facts", right?
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 13:05
It’s funny your answer is to roll back to .300, yet some complaining about weak transmission in .400 but in fact 10 times more complaining about it in .300, so for some jumping from the frying pan into the fire, the simple fact just as many had problems with .300 and taken into account that there are by now many more MavAir owners.
Roll back to a former problem FW notably .300 is your utopian solution , while trying to talk out the side of your mouth about those who not only gave the solution to the OP but it seems like it worked as he said himself, but also explained in detail what happens in these situations, I don’t believe FW problems are ever users fault, having had plenty of issues with FW updates,

It’s funny your answer is to roll back to .300, yet some complaining about weak transmission in .400 but in fact 10 times more complaining about it in .300,  

That is still not a valid reason not to allow people who want to try rollling back to .300.  There are enough strange problems with Mavic Air after .400 came out and people started upgrading to justify allowing people to rollback.

Even though I am for slamming DJI with problematic .400 Mavic Airs, I can understand reasons people don't want too.  Especially if they are going to get back a used drone that may result in death spiral of ever worse replacements.  Which in my mind is DJI looking to kill it's business model.

2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-7 13:08
Which aircraft are you flying? Not a Mavic Air as it looks like. Interesting and very telling indeed how many pilots NOT flying Mavic Air express strong opinions in this thread... They must have priviledged sources for their "truth"... Oh yes, nowadays it's called "Alternative Facts", right?

Interesting and very telling indeed how many pilots NOT flying Mavic Air express strong opinions in this thread...

Excuse me for not having a Mavic Air, yet having a strong interest in this matter.  After I upgraded my Mavic Pro from .200 to .300 firmware, Live View on CrystalSky started badly pixelating to breaking up.  Leading to either another case of Buggy firmware or Hosed-up Firmware Installer.   Then there is problem with semi / psuedo Assistant-2.  

Summary: I got dog in this fight.

Having been down this road with a very expensive professional camera, where dozens of people - including several professionals where having problems with our XYZYiv model cameras, and having a select few people saying things like: You don't know what your doing, Upgrade firmware, Nobody else is having problems, Upgrade firmware, You are a whinner, Just send your camera in for reapair, Upgrade firmware, and You are to stupid to own an Etch-a-Sketch - I can relate to those here having problems with .400.   And for record, the company which for almost a year denied there was a problem, finally recalled all model XYZYiv cameras from first manfuacturing date through first 6-months.  

2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 13:18
It’s funny your answer is to roll back to .300, yet some complaining about weak transmission in .400 but in fact 10 times more complaining about it in .300,  

I wouldn’t worry about slamming dji about .400, I have never not seen dji get slammed for new Firmware, older firmware with as many problems will just lead to what we have already here on this thread, what would dji gain from this.
There have been very few firmwares that didn’t offer roll back, I’m sure there is good reason for this being blocked, so I don’t see it being rolled back.

Show me where you have seen this death spiral you talk about from replacement drones. We already read here about catastrophic happenings but know one has shown any or even crash . It seems to me that there are many with no problems only to happy to jump on the hysteria bandwagon including many who don’t even own MavAir.

2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 13:38
Interesting and very telling indeed how many pilots NOT flying Mavic Air express strong opinions in this thread...

Excuse me for not having a Mavic Air, yet having a strong interest in this matter.  After I upgraded my Mavic Pro from .200 to .300 firmware, Live View on CrystalSky started badly pixelating to breaking up.  Leading to either another case of Buggy firmware or Hosed-up Firmware Installer.   Then there is problem with semi / psuedo Assistant-2.  

Dear HedgeTrimmer, I am sorry that you took my post as being directed to you, which was definitely not the case nor my intention. It was mainly a response to the one who believed to be qualified blaming me for something I never do and for another one making the following statement to me the other day in this particular thread here:
"Do you ever remove your tongue from DJI’s bum hole ?"
I am not inclined to deal with such type of personalities, sorry to say, but I just don't need to invest my time for something like that. Everyone is free to visit my profile on this forum and inspect my original posts or responses to other posts and then come to an informed conclusion about my behaviour in this forum.
You are a forum member whom I fully respect and you take an analytical approach as I do trying to identify the root of problems. And by taking such an approach we all can contribute to making our drones better in the future.

2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 13:44
I wouldn’t worry about slamming dji about .400, I have never not seen dji get slammed for new Firmware, older firmware with as many problems will just lead to what we have already here on this thread, what would dji gain from this.
There have been very few firmwares that didn’t offer roll back, I’m sure there is good reason for this being blocked, so I don’t see it being rolled back.

Show me where you have seen this death spiral you talk about from replacement drones.

Mavic Pro back to DJI for repair 3 times! still not fixed!
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-7 13:58
Dear HedgeTrimmer, I am sorry that you took my post as being directed to you, which was definitely not the case nor my intention. It was mainly a response to the one who believed to be qualified blaming me for something I never do and for another one making the following statement to me the other day in this particular thread here:
"Do you ever remove your tongue from DJI’s bum hole ?"
I am not inclined to deal with such type of personalities, sorry to say, but I just don't need to invest my time for something like that. Everyone is free to visit my profile on this forum and inspect my original posts or responses to other posts and then come to an informed conclusion about my behaviour in this forum.

''Do you ever remove ...''

That was overboard.

2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 13:44

After re-reading your post, I now understand what you were asking for.  Example of returned drone, failing, and destroying itself or perhaps killing some one.

With that said.  Please re-read my post.  Take note of ''death spiral of ever worse replacements.''
2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 14:00
''Do you ever remove ...''

That was overboard.

No sorry, it was not overboard. It was totally unacceptable, seriously insulting and coming from a person who apparently has other problems that he should better first address before posting anything of that kind anywhere.
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Anybody wanting to do further research on Mavic Air & .400 firmware - following Google search criteria might help.

'mavic air' '400' firmware site:forum.dji.com  with starting range date of April 5th, 2018.

Take off ''site:forum.dji.com'' if you want to search entire WWW.

2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-7 14:17
No sorry, it was not overboard. It was totally unacceptable, seriously insulting and coming from a person who apparently has other problems that he should better first address before posting anything of that kind anywhere.

You are right.  I didn't use right term.  
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 13:59
Show me where you have seen this death spiral you talk about from replacement drones.

Mavic Pro back to DJI for repair 3 times! still not fixed!

As I said getting involved using Mavic Pro as an example you are just trying to upstart here, I’m talking about MavAir, and I can just as easily show you on this very thread a replacement drone that works perfectly and guess what it’s a MavAir.
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 14:04
After re-reading your post, I now understand what you were asking for.  Example of returned drone, failing, and destroying itself or perhaps killing some one.

With that said.  Please re-read my post.  Take note of ''death spiral of ever worse replacements.''

I take it you can’t show me Mavic Air death spiral, I thought so.
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 14:34
I take it you can’t show me Mavic Air death spiral, I thought so.

Listen hallmark007, I politely responded to your comment.  You clearly did not read what I wrote OR you intentionally didn't.

One more time - ''death spiral of ever worse replacements.''

Is that to hard for you to comprehend.  Pilots (some - not all) are sending in their drones, having to resend in their drones, and having to resend in their drones to repair - and their drones are still not getting fixed.

2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Some real forum sliding going on here, I feel compelled to address comments made here by hallmark ...
... would make you almost believe that this is your fault, and  are moving the conversation off track on purpose.

I think you are wrong about watchberger.   Enough said.

2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 14:23
Anybody wanting to do further research on Mavic Air & .400 firmware - following Google search criteria might help.

'mavic air' '400' firmware site:forum.dji.com  with starting range date of April 5th, 2018.

Yes, but I strongly recommend to the same searches for any firmware updates for any of the other drone models and for any brand. That might produce an even better picture ;-)
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-7 14:45
Yes, but I strongly recommend to the same searches for any firmware updates for any of the other drone models and for any brand. That might produce an even better picture ;-)

I already did for Inspire.  There are a few hits.

As for other brands.  I won't buy into if maker Alpha has firmware problems, then its acceptable for DJI to have firmware problems.
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 14:42
Listen hallmark007, I politely responded to your comment.  You clearly did not read what I wrote OR you intentionally didn't.

One more time - ''death spiral of ever worse replacements.''

Your again talking about Mavic Pro this is about MavAir if you want to discuss MavAir that’s fine I’m not discussing Mavic Pro here it’s not about Mavic Pro so don’t hijack the thread .

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008

There you go.

2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 14:49
I already did for Inspire.  There are a few hits.

As for other brands.  I won't buy into if maker Alpha has firmware problems, then its acceptable for DJI to have firmware problems.

I fully agree with that and Inspire is not the best reference. Let's stick to the so called consumer market models like Spark, various Mavics and the Phantoms. There you will see the same effect for sure. And once again, I am not trying to defend DJI at all when they did something wrong, I report it myself whenever I discover something.
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-7 14:57
I fully agree with that and Inspire is not the best reference. Let's stick to the so called consumer market models like Spark, various Mavics and the Phantoms. There you will see the same effect for sure. And once again, I am not trying to defend DJI at all when they did something wrong, I report it myself whenever I discover something.

I think there is a point to be made, though.  It relates back to what I previously said about new products or higher priorities.  The higher end drones (aka $$$$$$) are getting Expert programmers, and lower end drones (aka $$) are left with not so Expert programmers.  All part of Tech world and business models.

Granted we would need to know numbers of each drone type sold to compensate, against reported problems.

2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-7 15:05
I think there is a point to be made, though.  It relates back to what I previously said about new products or higher priorities.  The higher end drones (aka $$$$$$) are getting Expert programmers, and lower end drones (aka $$) are left with not so Expert programmers.  All part of Tech world and business models.

Granted we would need to know numbers of each drone type sold to compensate, against reported problems.

I agree, but don't underestimate the value of the mass market. Of course the high end products that cost high end prices need high attention, but they naturally also sell in much lower numbers.
Thus where the biggest business turnover comes from for DJI should not be neglected either, and isn't neglected by them in my perception. Since I became a member in this forum, I see a lot of developments. Much more support staff on board to increasingly cover all time zones during the day and also weekends, which was not the case when I joined.
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Since this thread has spiraled into the realm "what the heck??"  I'd like to just place this here, and i'll gracefully bow out.

Edison started this post and listed 10 different threads of people that have had problems after updating to .0400.
The VERY FIRST thing that Hallmark did was  come to the defense of the company, and the state that the problems really aren't that bad.
Then Watchberger (albeit with much more tact) said the same thing.Listen, I've got no problem with DJI as a company.  And I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone here does.  I think we want to see more accountability and transparency.  And that is ultimately what this post was initially about.  Wanting DJI to own their mess.

Both of you are entitled to your opinions, but how does refuting that a problem exists help those pilots that ARE ACTUALLY HAVING ISSUES? - EDIT:  Watchberger started out about finding root cause and solution, so i must give credit for that.
You both point out that many pilots are not having issues.  and nobody disagrees with that.    Does that negate the fact that a problem exists?
Just because it is fixable in some instances, doesn't mean that a problem isn't real, or serious.

I troubleshoot technical stuff for a living.  I like to think i'm pretty good at it, and I like to think that I know a few things about electronics.  And one thing that I have learned is that as hard as you try to make a standard, there will be variances.  The ghost in the machine lives.  Firmware comes in and moves the ghosts furniture, and sometimes, he doesn't like it.
A wise man once said to me "Without truth, or proof, perception is reality."  
Hallmark has repeatedly asked for proof of statements made.  I respectfully ask this.  Can anyone here (not just hallmark)  prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the firmware update DID NOT cause my problems?  The answer is no.  So my reality is that the firmware caused my problems.  After a few weeks, i was able to fix mine.  Other pilots are not so lucky.  So guys, CHILL.  A problem is a problem.  Folks come here for solutions, not to watch a bunch of grown a$$ men argue. --self included-- (well, actually, when you step back, and grab the popcorn, it's kinda funny, but still)

We are all here because we have 1 thing in common.  We all own DJI Mavics.  No matter which flavor, we are all pilots.  Where did the respect go?  Tounges in bungs?  Come on!!
EDIT 2:  I told hallmark, and i'll say it publicly to watchberger.  I respect your opinion.  both of you have obviously been flying for much longer than I have, however, in this instance we don't agree.

2018-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules