4k Codec? Pinnacle Studio 18 and Professional Footage
5345 13 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ebonovic
lvl.1

United States

So I captured a couple quick videos, at 4k using the Pro-Phantom

I copied them directly off the SD chip, to my hard drive.
Fired up Pinnacle Studio 18, and all I get is a GREEN image after the import.
And they won't play.

Anyone know what codec they are using to capture the 4k?
So I can work on a fix, so I can edit the video in Studio 18.
2015-5-14
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

The P3 can save video in m4v format or mov format.  I suggest taking some test footage in BOTH formats and see if Pinnacle Studio can open either one of them.
You might also install QuickTime on your system.  That might add more codecs to your system that are compatible.

Lastly you should contact Pinnacle and ask them if additional codecs can be added.
2015-5-14
Use props
Gustave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138 ft
Netherlands

Me too,

I shot some 4K footage with my P3P. I also have Pinnacle Studio 18 and I was able to import the file and edit it.

Herewith the file info from Studio 18:

2015-5-14
Use props
joanenricc
lvl.2

Spain

Use Premiere Pro CC... I think is one of the best softs...
2015-5-14
Use props
BrewserB
lvl.1

United States

Can you play them without importing them to Pinnacle? I use a Mac and have no issues watching 4k. I haven't tried importing onto Final Cut X yet though.
2015-5-14
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

4k is on the ultimate version of pinnacle.  
2015-5-14
Use props
Mr. Clear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 232566 ft
United States

Viewing 4K is becoming an urban legend. Sony 4K TV's do not show P3 4K videos via USB. You get an Not Supported message. It seems that a HERC codec is required.
2015-5-15
Use props
ebonovic
lvl.1

United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-15 11:40
4k is on the ultimate version of pinnacle.

I do have the Ultimate Version of Pinnacle, but still having an issue with displaying the video.
Looking at possibly reformatting/rebuilding this computer as even straight playback is very choppy at best.  Something may have been corrupted over time.
2015-5-15
Use props
ebonovic
lvl.1

United States

Gustave Posted at 2015-5-15 03:45
Me too,

I shot some 4K footage with my P3P. I also have Pinnacle Studio 18 and I was able to import ...

Thanks for that, I am going to have to do some research then.  Could be a corrupt codec or something else going on in my setup.   Considering rebuilding/formatting the system.   But also considering upgrading to something newer.   PC only 2 years old and should have enough power to handle it, but that might as well be an eternity with tech.
2015-5-15
Use props
Gustave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138 ft
Netherlands

ebonovic Posted at 2015-5-16 00:42
Thanks for that, I am going to have to do some research then.  Could be a corrupt codec or somethi ...

I'm using an Asus Rampage III Black Edition mobo (LGA1366 with a Core i7 980X) with an AMD 7990 graphics card. Way older then 2 years. It does have to work with 4K but it manages the job.
2015-5-16
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

ebonovic Posted at 2015-5-16 00:41
I do have the Ultimate Version of Pinnacle, but still having an issue with displaying the video.
L ...

Playing back 4K video without frame drops requires extremely FAST hardware.  If you system is not using a fast i7 or better processor with an SSD & fast video card you probably cannot play & edit 4K video smoothly.

You CAN transcode it down to 1080P and it should play smoothly for you on a less powerful machine.
2015-5-16
Use props
ebonovic
lvl.1

United States

Following up on this....

I ended up doing a full format and reinstall of my system, and that cleaned up the codec problem.
Dropped in a new processor, and it is smoother... next is an updated video card.
2015-6-26
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

United States

The 4K Video used the DJI Phantom Pro is compressed with H.264 codec, Pinnacle Studio 18 supports for various 4K format such as 4K XAVC S, 4K MP4, 4K MOV, 4K AVI and also 4K MP4, however, to successfully edit 4K video with Pinnacle Studio 18, your computer should also meet the minimum standards to edit 4K video, or your video will be choppy or laggy when editing in the time-line.

2016-12-14
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Japan

pinnacle Studio 18 adds support for 4K, but due to the format limit, it's not easy to work P3 4K video in Pinnacle Studio, you can use a 4K Video Converter app to encode your Phantom videos first and then open and edit with Pinnacle.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules