Phantom 1.1.1 needs recalibrating often
1480 4 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
emjayef
lvl.1

United States

Is it my imagination, or does the Phantom 1.1.1 need to be recalibrated often?  After reading about the many problems discussed in this forum, and experiencing a multitude of problems myself, it seems that most times those problems are resolved by recalibrating everything.  How is it that it loses its calibration?  Exactly what does calibrating it do?  I recently shut it down wrong by turning off the transmitter first, then trying to start up again without shutting down the drone.  The props started, but seemed to be turning slower than usual.  When I tried to speed them up to take off, the drone flipped over.  This happened a couple of times.  Does it go into some sort of fault if you shut it down wrong?  I then powered it down properly, and back up again.  When I started the props, only the #4 motor seemed to be running slow.  I didn't try to fly it that time.  Instead, I connected it to my computer and recalibrated everything.  I then took it outside and calibrated the compass.  Then I started it up, waited for the GPS acquisition, etc. and it flew just fine.  Awhile back, it decided to fly into the woods even though I was trying to take it higher to avoid it.  I figure the compass went nuts, but the LED was still flashing green when it hit the trees.  That little crash cost me 3 motors!  There seems to be a lot of unresolved glitches that have not been addressed with updated firmware.  And then there's the fact that I can't get a parts list for the thing!  The way this thing flies, or rather crashes, I need that parts list!
2015-5-14
Use props
rattydude77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Like Colin Guinn said at the beginning its like having an aliment done on your car
2015-5-18
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

From your comments the best suggestion I can offer is to develop a standard routine for startup/shutdown.  One of the easiest ways to do this is to use one of the many pre-flight/post-flight checklists that you can find floating around on the forum.

This is the closest I can get to a Parts List
2015-5-18
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

emjayef,
How long have you had your 1.1.1 ?
Was it new when you got it?Have you done any FW updates?
Have you done any modifications?
When it went into the trees were there nearby power lines or buildings or potential sources of interference?  (The 1.1.1 operates on 2.4 GHz wifi so if for example you had a wifi device operating on your person like a cellphone, wifi GoPro camera etc it could have caused the loss of control)

It is very possible to have a bad GPS module.

I have just purchased a brand new 1.1.1 and it will arrive in a few days.
I'll be glad to work with you on this and check my 1.1.1 for comparisons.....PROVIDED....you will reciprocate.

Too many times I have helped others and then when I need help they never bother to answer even a single question I have.
That bugs me.

2015-7-3
Use props
fanse6b01bba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60932 ft
New Zealand

Cessna172 Posted at 2015-7-3 05:52
emjayef,
How long have you had your 1.1.1 ?
Was it new when you got it?Have you done any FW updates?

Hi there, I know what you mean with the no reply stuff, most posts here are pretty old. I am in New Zealand now after buying my 1.1.1 in Darwin Australia. Flown it a few times here although bit too windy only got less than 100m away and kept going into safe mode and coming home. after a major hassle loading the windows driver to my Win8 PC finally got it fully re-calibrated. Will post results if anyone interested. Cheers
2017-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules