Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Discharging Controller
3099 13 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Just been discharging my batteries prior to re-charge.

Is it necessary to fully discharge the controller the same was as the batteries?

I got the controller down to 8% before I couldnt stand the constant bleeping any longer and just switched it off.  Can the controller beeping be turned off as this is so annoying especially if you need to discharge the controller down to zero.
2015-5-14
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I would say no ... As the controller isn't draining the batteries any where near as fast as the bird does.

How ever ... If you some time in the future find that your battery level indikator on the controller drops "to fast" ... Do a fully cycle and it might recalculate.
2015-5-17
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-5-18 02:44
I would say no ... As the controller isn't draining the batteries any where near as fast as the bird ...

Not for calculation purposes but for the health overall and proper balancing I would... That's just IMO.
2015-5-17
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-18 12:18
Not for calculation purposes but for the health overall and proper balancing I would... That's jus ...

I've often wondered this myself. I let my primary controller run down one night when I was staying in a hotel, I ran all my batts down that night in fact. But it would seem that we should have some kind of regime for running the controllers down too?

Genettico, you seem pretty damn knowledgable on these matters, how would you go about caring for your controller batt?
2015-5-17
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

Does anyone else have a regime for controller battery care?
2015-5-17
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

michaelanthony. Posted at 2015-5-18 15:37
I've often wondered this myself. I let my primary controller run down one night when I was staying ...

I have tested and charged battery charge to full charge and then discharge to 8% of that amount. The internal battery seems to be a normal lithium batt and "no brains" and it does not have the  "safety features" our birds's battery have (i.e. Over current protection).  So I treat it and maintain it as any other lithium polymer batt. Store at 50% or about, no need for full charge every flight , (IMO a way to shorten battery life), and while discharging "passively" (not flying) I have a fan running towards the bottom of controller to avoid over heating issues.
thank yoi for the kind remarks.. Hope this helps
2015-5-18
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-18 19:54
I have tested and charged battery charge to full charge and then discharge to 8% of that amount. T ...

Groovy, I'll work that into the care and maintenance schedule! Thanks for getting back to me
2015-5-18
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

michaelanthony. Posted at 2015-5-18 23:58
Groovy, I'll work that into the care and maintenance schedule! Thanks for getting back to me:victo ...

No prob.. Glad could help
2015-5-18
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the comments Genettico and others.

This was the first time I have taken the controller down to 8% prior to re-charge.  I was looking to have it discharge to 5% or under but couldn't put up with the bleeping any longer.  I guess 8% is close enough for the controller.

With regards to not charging controller to full charge for every flight, this worries me especially with all the associated problems with the aircraft batteries, so I have historically always flown with all batteries fully charged.
2015-5-18
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-5-19 02:24
Thanks for the comments Genetic and others.

This was the first time I have taken the controller dow ...

I hear you... If it makes you feel safer at the cost of shortening a bit of the life of the batteries I think is a fair trade off...
2015-5-18
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

Relating the internal batteries to the TB48 issues makes no sense.
I have had a lightbridge forever and never an issue with the batteries.
I have been using lipo batteries from when they first were released and have over 20 planes, and an S1000 down to a Phantom 2.
I would treat the controllers as any other controller.  Let it drain down below 50% once in a while with no worry as we aren't putting a lot of stress on these batteries as we are with the Inspire.
Topping them off all the time probably hurts more than it is worth.  
As Genettico said, using standard Lipo rules is fine.
2015-5-18
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

Shadrack Posted at 2015-5-19 06:39
Relating the internal batteries to the TB48 issues makes no sense.
I have had a lightbridge forever  ...

Never hurst to poll the collective once in a while though. You never know............. until you ask.
2015-5-18
Use props
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-19 06:21
I hear you... If it makes you feel safer at the cost of shortening a bit of the life of the batter ...

quick question how much does always flying on a full battery controller affect its life span? With my controller i normally run to 50% after 5 or some flights but then i want to recharge it to keep it from losing power during flight. is constantly keeping the battery over 50% going to significantly damage battery life? or is it not big of a problem and continue doing what i am?
2016-10-25
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112451 ft
United States

michaelanthony. Posted at 2015-5-18 02:37
Does anyone else have a regime for controller battery care?

There was a post here a while back on a charging station that automatically deep cycle the I1 batteries when they need to be.  I know nothing of this system and quite honestly am learning from you all.  I like to fly my I1 down to 30% then come back to near the home point and putz at low altitude (<10') until battery is about 12-15%.  This may not be the best idea, because a 10' fall will still likely do some damage and I never do this around people of course.  I just like the idea of fully discharging the bird batt every time.  Comments?

I never really considered the RC batt, though.  Good points all.  Comments on above, please?

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT:  Here is the link to the charging station I referenced above.  I'm sure many have already seen it.  I would  be curious to hear reports as the company knocked $150 US off the price.  There's gotta be a reason for that?!

http://www.multicopterwarehouse. ... 8RxwHbvAaAoV_8P8HAQ

2016-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules