1858 13 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is a copy of a thread I posted on RCGroups becaise of a massive issue with JELLO and today it did another trick.. below is a copy of my post.. Posting it here for reference only as it ight help others..

Took an opportunity to get more video to try and determine why the jello is happening and the P3 gave me an unexpected surprise..

After doing the usual routine ( props on, power on, wait for warm-up, compass calibration ) as soon as I powered on the P3's rotors it started lifting about a foot off the ground bouncing up and down violently and flipped onto its props. All I could do was CSC the thing ( maybe this caused it to flip don't know but I had to stop it ). I didn't have video recording at this point as I wasn't expecting it! I assume the P3 will have logs..

The issue was very similar to what this guy had ( except it was ON the ground when it started ) -

Luckily no damage other than a small scuff on an arm and badly scuffed prop hub tops since it went upside down.

After this I removed the props and powered it again. I didn't notice anything odd in the motors speed like this. Powered it off again, fitted new props and it flew again.

The flight had JELLO galore and it did not behave at all. Would not fly straight, gained altitude when going forwards and generally looked unstable in the sky..

Here is a video of four clips showing the jello. First from yesterday and the others from today.
https://vimeo.com/127863243

To say I'm a bit deflated is an understatement. Ordered a couple days after launch and had it a few days, only done 3 flights and all a disaster..

Going to email this info and video to DJI as well. I think I need to mark this down to a P3 that is just not happy and seek to get it replaced by DJI ( only had it a week so should be entitled to this ). Its a shame as I really like the P3 but as it is its not only useless for video its also unpredictably dangerous..
2015-5-14
Use props
kcmoore11
lvl.1

United States

Did you do IMU calibration?  A couple of threads on that in this forum.  
2015-5-14
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Wow.  Really sorry to hear about your woes.  (I am sure you are bummed.)

All I can suggest is:

Update firmware to 1.1.8  on the P3 and controller.
Calibrate the IMU.
Calibrate Compass.

If that does not improve the situation...  The props may not be balanced.  Since the P3 comes with spare props you can swap them out?

Short of that...  Send it back to DJI and demand another one that CAN fly.
2015-5-14
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

The more I think about it...  Sounds like you have a severe prop vibration issue.  Replace props.
Or...  One of the motor shafts is bent.  Only solution would be to replace motor or get a replacment drone from DJI.
2015-5-14
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HI,

Firmware's done. All calibrations done.. Also had the same issue BEFORE calibrations.. I have a prop rod but can only do the beans can method of checking.. The props looked OK.. I have used both sets that come with the P3 and also another set I ordered.. Seemingly same result.. the flight today was with the second set that came with the P3.. I have emailed DJI the info so will see what they say/do, if anything ..

And yeah, pretty bummed but this is how things go.. Mostly just bummed about lost/missed flight time as i dont get many nice days on North wales ( Uk )

2015-5-14
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anyone know how long DJI Europe take to respond to issues? Or is it a "how long is a piece of string" scenario..
2015-5-15
Use props
chamb0 FPV
lvl.1

India

I have loads of jello / vibration to, its sucks my p2+ had hardly any!!!
2015-5-15
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

chamb0 FPV Posted at 2015-5-16 02:37
I have loads of jello / vibration to, its sucks my p2+ had hardly any!!!

Same here, I have a P2 with Gopro and don't have any issues.
2015-5-15
Use props
rmh2003
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483917 ft
United States

I had this exact same issue two days ago. I was on the pavement (should have known better to take off on the pavement). Took off and immediately flipped straight over. I found that one of the propellers when I spun to tighten it, it kept spinning after the motor stopped spinning. Somehow it was not screwed on all the way. I have to manually tighten it down myself now instead of just spinning them to tighten them. I scratched up the propellers pretty bad but that was the only issue. When I took off on the next flight I had really bad shake and jello for the initial climb. After that everything was great, I just double check the propellers now for sure as this particular one doesnt spin tight.

Does DJI sell the P3 propellers yet? The P2V+ props dont work do they?
2015-5-15
Use props
mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

If they don't tighten either you have the prop on the wrong motor or the motor is spinning the wrong direction
2015-5-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mark97564@gmail Posted at 2015-5-16 16:44
If they don't tighten either you have the prop on the wrong motor or the motor is spinning the wrong ...

Props were on properly for sure.. It didn't just tip over, it bounced in one place with no throttle applied.. Think it flipped when I had to CSC in order for it to stop.

This issue on-top of the fact it has serious jello issue that should not be there makes me think its a duff unit.

I am still waiting for a reply from DJI of how to proceed. In the meantime, if anyone from here works for DJI ( hint DJI-Autumn ) and could push some buttons at DJI Europe it would be a massive help..

Also, for those whom could possible view the flight logs, here they are - http://1drv.ms/1Gbk7S3 - FLY007 covers the bouncy incident as well as a flight that had jello. others will be indoor powering and jello flights

I will record the ipad screen of the incident when it bounced that shows the telemetry..
2015-5-16
Use props
romos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372369 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

sploodge@sky.co Posted at 2015-5-16 02:31
Anyone know how long DJI Europe take to respond to issues? Or is it a "how long is a piece of string ...

I have sent emails since the 6th of May and still not got a reply apart from one 2 days ago asking if i am satisfied with the support. ha ha ha
2015-5-16
Use props
jayson
lvl.1

United States

Couple questions, was it windy? how stable was your launch platform? and what height did you launch?
2015-5-16
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jayson Posted at 2015-5-17 03:49
Couple questions, was it windy? how stable was your launch platform? and what height did you launch? ...

The incident where it went crazy.. Little wind, level floor and it went nuts as soon as I did a CSC. No other stick input apart from to stop it..
2015-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules