My DJI Controlled Helicopter
1293 3 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JATO
lvl.4

United States

So Iknow I haven't visited in a while hope everyone is good. I haven't been feelingwell and when I have I have been busy. So of you may have remembered me sayingI was going to give DJI another chance. While I don't see myself ever buyinganother drone, not because I hate DJI or anything like that but I just needed achange. After the wifey got me the Phantom I purchased a couple of planes. One of the them flew, the other was just put together and it is sittingin my garage. One of the nice things about the Phantom is I don't need arunway.

One day I was playingwith my son's little micro-helicopter toy and a bought one. Then I boughtanother, then a more complex one, etc. Well finally I started building a 600series helicopter. It still needs some parts but it getting closer. Yesterday Iinstalled the DJI controller in it.
t-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#444444'>
I still need someparts and there is some stuff to finish before it will be ready to fly. Thebatteries aren't installed (waiting on them too) so I powered it via a 2-1/2amp wal-wart. I posted a 2 minute video on Youtube of the operation. I stuckthe Phantom in the video to give you the size of a 600 series helicopter.

Before I installed it I tested evrything on the bench. The RC radio, the satellite receiver for the RC radio, GPS antenna, LED and USB interface and the battery eliminator.

I then installedeverything. From the right you can see the RC aux receiver (called a satellite)the radio needs this to work. To the left is the DJI battery eliminator. Itpowers the radio, controller and the servos. Next is the NAZA-H controller. Ituses a assistant similar to the Phantom but I think it works a little bettereven though it's older. One of the nice things is you can reset the factory IMUcal or store and load ones you've done. One the left is the main radio aSpektrum AR7010, 7 channels. The LED display is not shown.

The system functionssimilar to the Phantom with so differences. It has GPS, ATTI and manual mode. Idoesn't have RTH mode, but the helicopter will hover when the signal is loss.Also I was able the program my radio for GPS/ATTI/Manual and signal loss mode.It also requires a compass calibration dance like the Phantom.

I still need someparts and there is some stuff to finish before it will be ready to fly. Thebatteries aren't installed (waiting on them too) so I powered it via a 2-1/2amp wal-wart. I posted a 2 minute video on Youtube of the operation. I stuckthe Phantom in the video to give you the size of a 600 series helicopter.

http://youtu.be/VZjsv3S-GZY

2015-5-14
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Pretty cool, Jato! I can't wait to see the damned thing fly! Look's like a great deal of work. I can't even imagine doing something so complex. Great work. Get that sucker flyin'!

Jerry
2015-5-14
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Jerry it will still be a bit before it's ready. I gone thought 6 other helis before this one. The others were stepping stools to this one. 2 of them were smaller built from parts (alum & CF). One of those came out ready well the other wobbles like crazy.  The last 2 before this one were collective pitch birds that I needed to learn how to fly. i am still learning but I have gotten really go at hovering. I even use the Phantom for orientation flight  training since they are easier to fly. That is my biggest issue making sure I can fly the bird on the ground regardless of where the bird is pointing.
2015-5-14
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-5-15 05:16
Thanks Jerry it will still be a bit before it's ready. I gone thought 6 other helis before this one. ...

I agree with Jerry.  I am looking forward to video of this bird in flight.
2015-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules